Rusty Wound G string

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I very recently installed a set of Hilo low g's with wound 3 and 4 on my tenor. This is the first time I have used wound strings. There seems to be a difference in the wound strings because th G string is starting to show rust spots all over it, inluding on the headstock and bridge where my fingers don't touch them. There are no signs of rust on the C string. Is this normal? Have you found this on all brands of wound strings?

Well I do have Low G sets with wound C and wound G and sometimes there is a different metal used for the winding. Typically the C string is lighter in color, my guess would be either Nickel or Aluminum. The Low G you have would probably be steel if it is rusting as you do need iron to rust...
It is especially humid where you are? Florida... hmmm yup. My wound strings do rust eventually as I live a mile from the ocean, but in much drier Southern California. It is yet another reason I am on the lookout for nice set of low g Tenor strings. I believe Worth makes a set like that.

Ok, sounds like I'm not the only one. Southcoast keeps talking about their unwound low g's, I may try them. thanks

Ok, sounds like I'm not the only one. Southcoast keeps talking about their unwound low g's, I may try them. thanks

That is definitely worth a try. You also might want to consider Fremont Blackline fluorocarbon unwound low g strings, or the Worth sets (CTLG, BTLG, CHLG or my favorite, the CHLGHD).

Top Bottom