Capos

Nny

Reaction score
I did a forum search for Capo and went through the first three pages of results and didn't see what I was looking for, so sorry if I missed a thread that already addressed this but:

Looking to get a capo as right now I'm using the "Pencil and rubber band" but it gets in the way so looking for an actual capo.

From googling and reading around:

• Guitar Capos are usable but have the same problem as the pencil: it's too large and gets in the way.
  • Ukulele-specific capos are normally not good because they're normally adjustable bands
  • Mandolin capos are what to turn to, as they are normally higher quality and are the size needed for a ukulele

However, I could never actually find a suggest capo to get. This is the top-selling mandolin capo on Amazon. Should I go with it, or is there a better one out there that most people use?

http://www.amazon.com/Kyser-Banjo-Mand-Capo-Blk/dp/B0002CZVWS

That is the favorite it seems. I've yet to hear of one that is better/wider used on 'ukulele.

I use the Kyser Banjo/Mandolin capo on those rare times I use a capo.
Some folks have used the new Shubb ukulele capo.

Had a Kaiser guitar capo and just cut it shorter. works fine for the rare times I need one.

Last edited:
I have the Kyser mentioned above, and I find it heavy. How heavy are the Shubbs? Does anyone know? They look like they'd be even heavier. I would like a lighter one, but like others, I don't use it often enough to warrant purchasing a selection for trials. ;)

the kyser really is the way to go...i play with a capo very often, and its never let me down...the spring seems just as strong as the day i got it...and even if it ever wears out, it was a whole 10 bucks....i use the mando one i guess, lots of places call it a uke capo. It lets me get a song RIGHT at that perfect key, or lets me play along with guitar players, who may be using different chords than im used to playing that particular song with.... As for it being chunky, it is...but anyone who is playing a concert size or bigger and claims they notice a difference is imagining things...if you hold a uke properly this balance stuff is mostly irrelevant...take the kyser its perfect...I do notice SOME buzzing if i place it wrong, which you might not find in really secure clamp capos, but as long as you put the capo just behind the fret..there are no issues. A breeze to move without stressing around....

I tryed several differnt capos the other day, and all of them just seemed way too bulky and in the way :(

The Kyser is great. It works really well and does not get in the way. Easy on, easy off.

I love the word faff, but it's obviously an English thing. Too much faff means too much hassle, too much messing around etc

Top Bottom