c.1925/1930 Gibson Style 1 Uke w/SS Stewart label

Jake Wildwood

Reaction score
gibste1.jpg

Just picked this one up and fixed it up late last week. I may keep it for myself as it's a cutie, but not sure yet. Been "real fun" working on this stuff with the power out!

gibste2.jpg

Anyhow, this is a Gibson-made uke, identical to their style 1 uke, though they made it for B&J more than likely as it bears an SS Stewart brand in the soundhole and on the headstock. Compare this to any style 1 Gibson on the net from the 20s and you'll see what I mean.

gibste11.jpg

Click here for the full writeup/blog post.

You're a member here?? I'm addicted to your blog, nabbed half my luthiery ideas from the instruments there. I'd definitely keep it, have a 1927 model myself and it's the one uke I'd never get rid of.

Hi guys -- yeah I've already popped it in one of my wall hangers. It's a sweet little thing, and I've been without a 'hog uke for a while now.

Nixon: I'm flattered at your comment. :D I'm glad my blog goes to good use!

John: I like the plain Janes myself... recently I'd been digging hard to find just the right archtop guitar and of many excellent-sounding, playing, and fancy choices passing through the shop, I chose an old mid-30s Kalamazoo (Gibson) for exactly the same reasons as I like this uke -- individual, just plain good, tone, simple aesthetics, and a super player. RE the B&J connection... it's amazing how many retailers both Gibson & Martin jobbed for, often unbeknownst to the instrument history world. I'm now and then finding them popping up online and locally with just strange labels attached.

Top Bottom