Unidentifiable buzzing

bynapkinart

Reaction score
On my Johnny Marvin, a buzzing has developed...it wasn't there 2 weeks ago. I have no idea where it is coming from except that I think that it could be from the bridge or bracing. It is definitely coming from the body somewhere.

I changed my strings to Aquila before this happened, and it seems to really buzz when I strum or pick any B note, at any fret (so it is sympathetic buzz and not fret buzz). Could changing strings get rid of it? Or does anyone have any other ideas to try to figure out what's going on?

Thanks!

Could be a lot of things. First go to the strings. Sometimes we get faulty or dead sets. Environmental changes such as temp or lack of humidity can cause it. I've put on LoPrinzi's fingerboard conditioner on for a friend who let the fingerboard get pretty dry and the buzz went away. I'd try those first anyway but yes it could be a loose bridge or anything.

Well, I feel like a moron. I thought there was no way the uke would suddenly decide to pop a brace after 83 years, so I did some investigating. Turns out that when I tied my knots to pin the strings in, I left about an inch of each string extra that hung out inside of the uke. I cut those ends off, and of course, no buzzing. My guess is the E string's extra bit got turned around inside and rested on a brace, and then vibrated each time a sympathetic note was played...which happened to be B. It also explains the fact that it would only buzz when the uke was vibrating a lot.

This goes to show...if you have a pin bridge, don't be sloppy with the extra string! Make a nice, clean knot and leave no extra.

Well, I feel like a moron. I thought there was no way the uke would suddenly decide to pop a brace after 83 years, so I did some investigating. Turns out that when I tied my knots to pin the strings in, I left about an inch of each string extra that hung out inside of the uke. I cut those ends off, and of course, no buzzing. My guess is the E string's extra bit got turned around inside and rested on a brace, and then vibrated each time a sympathetic note was played...which happened to be B. It also explains the fact that it would only buzz when the uke was vibrating a lot.

This goes to show...if you have a pin bridge, don't be sloppy with the extra string! Make a nice, clean knot and leave no extra.

I go one step further and melt the string ends almost to the knot itself. Be ready to blow out the flame as it can catch and run along the string. Best to have the part you're trying to melt facing UP too,....as of couse heat rises.

I find that just leaving a few millimeters before the melting worls best,......and bring the match in and out quickly and most times it will just melt instead of catching fire.
(dip the used matches in water before trashing,....just in case)

I go one step further and melt the string ends almost to the knot itself. Be ready to blow out the flame as it can catch and run along the string. Best to have the part you're trying to melt facing UP too,....as of couse heat rises.

I find that just leaving a few millimeters before the melting worls best,......and bring the match in and out quickly and most times it will just melt instead of catching fire.

I dunno about doing that, a good knot will work, and is relatively hazard free. Although minute, melting/burning plastic is very toxic, and worse, could change the properties of the string immediately before the knot, causing breakage or weird sound issues due to affecting the density and/or stretchiness of the string.

To each their own, YMMV and all that stuff. Its just not what I'd do.

I dunno about doing that, a good knot will work, and is relatively hazard free. Although minute, melting/burning plastic is very toxic, and worse, could change the properties of the string immediately before the knot, causing breakage or weird sound issues due to affecting the density and/or stretchiness of the string.

To each their own, YMMV and all that stuff. Its just not what I'd do.
Toxic?????? .....we're talking about a minute amount of material here. Hold your breath if you feel better,....takes all of 2 seconds per string. The match flame starter is probably more toxic. If you only melt it and don't start it to burning,...i don't believe any toxic fumes are given off.

Also, as i mentioned i stop just short of the knot and since the melting part is facing UP and you bring the bookmatch in from the top no heat is reaching the actual knot to weaken it.

BTW,......i've done this for 30 years on my classical guitars,......even since i had a high "E" string slip out once and put a small whip mark into the top. The old knot had been tied on by the previous owner and had looked pretty good. About a week after i bought it the slip occured,.....

........now i don't worry about it,.....it isn't ever going to slip out of a tied bridge with a balled up end behind the knot.

Last edited:
Toxic?????? .....we're talking about a minute amount of material here. Hold your breath if you feel better,....takes all of 2 seconds per string. The match flame starter is probably more toxic. If you only melt it and don't start it to burning,...i don't believe any toxic fumes are given all.

Also, as i mentioned i stop just short of the knot and since the melting part is facing UP and you bring the bookmatch in from the top no heat is reaching the actual knot to weaken it.

BTW,......i've done this for 30 years on my classical guitars,......even since i had a high "E" string slip out once and put a small whip mark into the top. The old knot had been tied on by the previous owner and had looked pretty good. About a week after i bought it the slip occured,.....

........not i don't worry about it,.....it isn't ever going to slip out of a tied bridge with a balled up end behind the knot.

Hence the YMMV and different strokes for different folks.
Just because you like it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to bow down and say "Yes by God's good grace! This is the ONLY WAY it should EVER been done! Why, oh WHY did I ever do it the way I've ever done before!!!"

Don't take it so personal bro, its a string, not something to get your panties in a twist about.

Just because you like it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to bow down and say "Yes by God's good grace! This is the ONLY WAY it should EVER been done! Why, oh WHY did I ever do it the way I've ever done before!!!"

Don't take it so personal bro, its a string, not something to get your panties in a twist about.

Didn't mean to come across the way you seem to have taken it,.....was just shocked when you seemed to be concerned over "toxic" fumes. A bit over the top with all the yelling,.....and i never said it was the only way to go,....just the way
i've done it for 30 years to address a specific incident that i've never worried about since. Had a few wound "D" strings
pop on little used classicals, but lower tension never nicked the top. (the metal winding usually held,...just the core popped) You can't melt them anyway, but the wound sections keep them in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

No need for an open flame, just tie a proper knot.

Didn't mean to come across the way you seem to have taken it,.....was just shocked when you seemed to be concerned over "toxic" fumes. A bit over the top with all the yelling,.....and i never said it was the only way to go,....just the way
i've done it for 30 years to address a specific incident that i've never worried about since. Had a few wound "D" strings
pop on little used classicals, but lower tension never nicked the top. (the metal winding usually held,...just the core popped) You can't melt them anyway, but the wound sections keep them in place.

Wow. From strings to the state of me wearing underpants.
Seriously, do you read what you write?

Not funny, and sure as crap none of your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha wow I didn't realize this would be such a touchy subject! At any rate, I'll be tying better knots and staying away from flame, because cashew is actually correct in thinking that heat changes the strings and could limit their effective lifespan. Were I using fluorocarbon strings it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but nylon Aquilas are much more susceptible to negative impacts from heat.

Thanks for everyone's advice, though!

Wow. From strings to the state of me wearing underpants.
Seriously, do you read what you write?

Not funny, and sure as crap none of your business.

Ummmm,.......was only responding to your previous comment below. YOU brought up the panties!
I thought it was clearly a joke off your comment,.....sorry to have struck a nerve........

Seriously,.....do you remember what you write? :D

Last edited:
Ummmm,.......was only responding to your previous comment below. YOU brought up the panties!
I thought it was clearly a joke off your comment,.....sorry to have struck a nerve........

Seriously,.....do you remember what you write? :D

Enough. I thought you'd be adult enough to finish this in PM's, but you felt the need to post exactly the same thing in both my inbox and here. Apparently, you can't decide whats the difference between using a phrase and being completely inappropriate, but instead of being a man with honor, you have to put this into public forum to defend what? Nobody needs to see this, or cares to. Be a man, suck it up, and give it a rest. Nobody but you cares about this any more, and drawing it out is again inappropriate. Carry on if you want, but I won't be here to see it publicly, and I'm sure nobody else will either.

bynapkinart, I apologize for turning your thread into the fiasco it's become. I'm through with the debating.

Trust me, you are both through with the debating. Too much of this kind of irritable thread-drift recently. Those of you with a tendency to indulge, please knock it off.

Top Bottom