Tahitian Ukulele Document

berean_315

Reaction score
Any other tahitian ukulele players out there?

I've updated the Tahitian ukulele, music and language document I put together quite a while back. Mr. Kaota Puna of New Zealand who used to sell tahitian ukes is no longer in business. Asonu ukes out of Chile seems to make the best tahitian uke for the money. Different people say they are pleased with them.

You can access the pdf document at the address below:

http://www.box.net/shared/7xdrebqoulugrvehf43l

Gerald

Zac987

Can understand that. The same way with me and the banjo
uke. Never got into it.

Oooh, cool link! Thanks! I've always loved the tahitian uke and its uniqueness - something the traditional uke has lost.

I've been using my boy's from my halau, but the thing is pretty poorly made, so I'm slowly settin up a lil woodshop in my mancave -- hoping to fashion myself one.

My strumming is nowhere near on par with how the piece is sposed to be played!

I just checked out your channel -- I remember watching you a long, long time ago! I've always admired your wide range of talent!!!

I have one of these but never knew what I was supposed to do with it and never took the time to figure it out. I'll check out your pages and see what I can learn. Thanks

here !!!
i play the tahitian ukulele too..

and own 2 of Asonu's ukuleles.
actually, i know Victor (the luthier). he makes very nice instruments.
and sells them at a very low price, for the quality they have.

My Tahitian uke actually came from Tahiti. Made on Moorea by Robert Aka. My sister brought it for me three years ago. I had never played any music before then and this uke got me started. I don't play it much but would like to.

Attachments

• 1052.jpg
    1052.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 1054.jpg
    1054.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1053.jpg
    1053.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20
Wow, nice to see others have a tahitian uke and interested in playing it. I'm still trying to get the fast strum down. I don't see how they do it. Definitely different than the Hawaiian ukulele.

IamRobbyah: Like to see your uke when you finish it.

Hapuna: There's not much info out there about playing the Tahitian uke. I don't know that much either, but am trying.

Patico: Post pics of your ukes. I have one I ordered from Asonu. It's a well made uke for the money. I watched some of your videos. Good job! Maybe you can give us some advice on playing it. Are you from Rapa Nui?

Harold O: Nice uke. Seems the carving at the top would get in the way of playing further up the neck. How does the uke sound?

I'll try to attach pics of my Tahitian ukes below:

Asonu Tahitian Ukulele.jpgMike Ayers Tahitian Uke 1.jpgMike Ayers Tahitian Uke 2.jpg

Down our way the Cook islanders play the same instrument in a similiar style
There's not much info out there about playing the Tahitian uke. I don't know that much either, but am trying.
This? : try this guy

Ron, thanks for the reply. I thinnk maybe you were trying to post a link, but it didn't come through.

I know there is a Mr. Kaota Puna from the Cook Islands who used to make/sell tahitian ukuleles and has some instructional videos on YouTube. Is this the guy you are talking about?

Patico: Could you maybe make a YouTube video showing what you are doing when you are playing up the neck on the Tahitian ukulele? I'm still not clear on that. Are they basic chord shapes/forms you are playing?

I was also curious how the Tahitian ukulele came to Rapa Nui. Was it brought by Tahitians?

Thanks,

Got one....brought back from the Cook Islands for me by a friend. Fun to play and a reasonable instrument. I've seen some shockers, though - agricultural tuners, bent necks etc etc. Ran across one in a local pawn (thats p.a.w.n.) shop early this week, labelled as a mandolin.

Scorpex: Very nice webpage with a lot of good info and songs. Thanks! Also like your Tahitian uke (as well as the other ukes). I see you have a Koaloha concert. I have one as well and love it. It's the main uke I play.

hi berean

i'm from santiago, mainland chile, but been living here in easter island for 5 years. i'm married to a local girl so i'm kind of "local" now.

i'm not really sure, but i think the ukelele was brought here from tahiti. easter island has flights to santiago and papeete, so if we rule out the ukelele coming from santiago, it must be from tahiti.... jajajaj

almost all i know, i learned from the pdf you had posted and kanua's you tube lessons. after, i extended a little bit, but it's the same principles. i'm guitarrist, maybe that helped me.

i'll try to record something to help you (and whoever wants). just let me know what you want.
i don't know how to write a pdf, lets contact via mail and i can tab some things for you.

paticochile * hotmail

Hi Patico:

Are the people from Rapa Nui of polynesian ancestry? Are there many people there who play the Tahitian ukulele?

I liked your improvisation in the video "Ukulele Rapa Nui". You were playing up the neck and I couldn't really figure out the chords/shapes you were using. What I put in the document was from Kanua's videos.

I'll send you a message through ukulele underground.

Thanks,

I love the sound of Tahitian ukulele. Clint Mariteragi is one of my favorites.

Hi Patico:

Are the people from Rapa Nui of polynesian ancestry? Are there many people there who play the Tahitian ukulele?

Thanks,

Yes, Rapa Nui is the South-East corner of the polynesian triangle. Locals do not consider themselves as chileans, thay are polynesians.
Theres a lot of music going on here in the island, and the most played instruments are guitar and ukelele.
so the answer for your second question is yes.
the hawaiian ukulele is not much played. i've only seen 2 other ukuleles.

Ron: Thanks for the link. That's Mr. Kaota Puna. I don't see how they do that really fast strum. He makes it look so easy.

Pueo: I love that song. Really nice! I also like his other song "Te Tama Maohi"

so, the Tahitian uke is GCEA tuned just like the Hawai'ian uke? Interesting. I may have to look in to one of these.

Top Bottom