Buying my first ukulele online- A Lanikai LU-21. One question though

kingthong

Reaction score
I'm buying my first ukulele and have narrowed it down to the Lanikai LU-21. From what i've read in reviews, its the best option for my budget. I was planning on buying it over Amazon (I'm getting it shipped to a friend in the US who's bringing it down cause no one stocks ukuleles where i live)

One question though: I found two entries for the Lanikai LU - 21 on Amazon and noticed a considerable prices difference. The only difference i found was the shipping weight.

Any ideas why or what i am missing?

Here are the links for the products:
$58.75

$45.42

Thanks for your help!

Is this a trick question? The second item is an LU 11 isnt it?

Oh yes the LU 11 has a little less frill than the 21. The LU 11 was my first uke. I should have kept it. It was a fine uke.

If it were me and those were my choices I would go with the LU-21. It's a nice starter. Are you new to the ukulele or just getting a new one?

Aloha!

slight fail on my part with the wording of my earlier post.

i realize that they're two different ukes. I play a little guitar but haven't ever played on a ukulele before. I'm from India and ukuleles aren't easy to come by. All i've managed to find here is a guitarlele (the ones Yamaha make).

So i've decided to ship one to a friend who's in the US right now and is coming down here. i can't make up my mind between the LU-21 and the LU-11. With the conversion rate the LU-21 is about 600 Rupees more expensive but if there is a reasonable difference in sound and quality i don't mind investing in the LU-21.

Your advice?

Thanks again!

Not positive, but I think the only real difference between the 11 and the 21 is cosmetic. They are both basic laminate ukes that have provided many, many people a lot of joy as a starter instrument.

Happy strumming!

Just from looking at the descriptions on amazon.com, I noticed two things. The 21 has binding and a rosewood fretboard, while the 11 has no binding and a laminate (nato) fretboard. The addition of a binding is cosmetic, but I wonder if a rosewood fretboard is a more-than-cosmetic upgrade. Maybe rosewood wears better than nato, or maybe it's more comfortable for your fingers. It probably does look better, too, but I don't think it would affect the uke's sound.

Last edited:
I've never seen the LU-11 in person, but the LU-21 really is an outstanding starter. You won't even need to upgrade the strings.

I dunno, Sambient. I replaced the strings on my LU-21 with Nylgut and it is a whole new instrument. THe old strings sounded dead in comparison.

My first (currently of two) ukuleles is a Lanikai LU-21 pineapple. It was a present from my sister who just took the advice of the guy in the music shop. After years of sitting in a corner and occasional strumming it still sounds pretty good even with the original strings.

Have you checked with ukerepublic or Mim? Setup is absolutely crucial with an inexpensive instrument, and those two can provide that. Amazon is a dice roll, and the odds are not that great.

I'd also give a look at the Makala Dolphin for that price range. I've played that and the Lanakais, and I'd take the Dolphin hands-down for tone and playability.

I'd also suggest going with someone who can do the setup, my first Ukulele was a crappy no name brand one, and when I ordered my second (and Ohana SK10S) I got setup with it and the difference was amazing and although more expensive, made it definitely worth it!

Good Luck in your choices!

Oh and just to add, I brought my latest (Cora the Vita) from Amazon and found it to not need much of a setup at all, plays well, holds tune well and I love her, but it is a roll of the dice and if preferable, I'd go with Mim or someone who sets it up for you!

Top Bottom