Not ready for winter... :(

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
It's been a great summer. After my health scare 12 months ago, and myself taking my health more seriously, have after many years started enjoying life again. I decided not to let my disability keep me down any longer. I been in the shop working, and building stuff with my hands. Something I haven't been able to do for years. Now, with the cold weather quickly making it's way to Michigan, I don't want to close my shop up. I have been enjoying it too much. I have been having a blast with some prototype ukulele builds, including my steel string Les Paul, the Aphid and Ladybug. I have 3 I am working on at present (1 Aphid, and 2 Ladybugs) for customers that squeezed in an order before I have to close shop (My shop isn't heated :() I hope to squeeze out a couple more of them, but after that, I might have to stop making them for the winter.

Anyway, I'm just venting a bit, because I have enjoyed this summer, and really not ready for another Michigan winter.. But at least I should have more playing time.. That's a good thing I reckon.. ;)

I hear ya. I hate the cold weather. I live in Chicago, and though our winters don't get as bad as Michigan winters, they still get nasty. I am an outdoors guy for the most part, fishing, camping, hiking, motorcycle riding, etc. and Winter keeps me grounded for a good 7 to 8 months. It's a drag, and I am already feeling a little depressed by it. Oh well, I guess it's now time to get the"inside" projects going again.

Dan

Winter is actually my favorite season, but I know what you mean about the cold. I bake my own bread, and, even with the heat on, it takes forever to rise in the winter. Then again, it always rises too fast in the summer.

Berlin winters are always miserable, but then again so are summers: 65F was the average high temperature this summer.

Don't get me wrong. I love winter, and the snow for that matter. My favorite time of year is right now all through fall. I love the change of seasons, and the colors and textures. But, I have especially been enjoying this summer because I have been able to do more and the kinds of constructive things I haven't been able to do for 10 years. I'm not ready to settle in for the winter yet, lol. I might have to find some way to heat my shop...

I can't wait until winter! But, I live in Florida....So it's only going to be in the 50s to 60s mostly :p Much better than this damned heat though.

BTW Christine, in case ya want to see what your Ladybug looks like as of this morning. Here's a picture of her. Cute thang isn't it? ;)

P1050479.jpg

I think we need to get you a heater for your shop!

I can't wait until winter! But, I live in Florida....So it's only going to be in the 50s to 60s mostly :p Much better than this damned heat though.

Ditto. I hate summers in Pasadena. It isn't quite Nevada or Arizona, but we have a lot of days in the high 90s and low 100s. I can't wait until "winter" (as a Californian, I do use that term loosely) when I can wear Ugg boots and sip pumpkin lattes.

Starbucks started selling the Pumpkin Spice lattes this past Tuesday.

Knock yourself out - they have way too much nutmeg for me, so I just make them, don't drink them.

-Kurt

(And I've been told that any fleece-lined boot, like the Uggs, are extremely comfortable even in hot weather - they wick the moisture away, but the lanolin keeps your feet happy.)

Kurt, You work at Starbucks? I have to admit, I have never, ever even been in a Starbucks. Even when I worked in the IT industry in the Bay Area in Cali where there is a Starbucks damn near on every corner. I just never got into it. I love coffee, but for me, there's just something about getting up, scratchin your butt through your boxers while standing with one eye open in front of a drip coffee maker at your own kitchen counter anticipating that first hot sip of vital body fluid as the aroma of regular fresh old school coffee fills the house.. hehheh

Last edited:
I hear you my friend. I hate winter. Mainly just the snow. The cold really doesn't bother me too much as long as it's above 25. The snow though- bleh. SO depressing. And it stays forever it seems like. I just hunker down and ride it out, lol. With ukulele hopefully I won't be as bored this year. Plus I took up ice fishing again last year (hadn't been since I was a kid), helps pass the time.

Where are you in SW Michigan? I'm in Kalamazoo...

I'm about 40 miles due south of you on 131. Just a couple miles from the Indiana border.

Funny thing about the Michigan winters. I been here 10 years now. Brought with me my Dodge diesel that I purchased new in Cali. Never thought I would ever need a diesel block heater until I got here. I still drive that diesel, and have been fighting it every winter when it gets down below 15 degrees, it just won't start (typical diesel). I keep saying I am going to spring for a block heater for it, but by the time I get around to it, it's spring again, and I don't think about it until my truck wont crank in 15 degree weather again, lol.. This has gone on for 10 years with my truck now, every winter. Now that I can get about and do things I haven't been able to do now. I went out to see what I needed to do to install a block heater in my diesel. After looking around the block for the boss for the heater, and the place I would have to install one. I find a wire, and followed it to the grill area, only to find a 115v plug tucked away on the other end of it. Come to find out, after all these years fighting that thing in frigid weather, that my dang truck HAS had a block heater all along. The plug for it was tucked away behind the oil cooler nice and neatly since I had bought it new in 2001. I was happy, and then pissed that I been fighting that thing for 10 years for NOTHING.. lol.. (But I wont be this year, lol)

Winter? What is this winter of which you speak? That word is not known by my people. We have two seasons: wet and dry.

nice !!!
spring is here and summer is coming.... i love to surf in trunks, without wetsuit

Top Bottom