PDA

View Full Version : Can't find any K-Brand Ukes!...

GKK
09-08-2011, 04:53 AM
I've been trying to buy a K-Brand Ukulele for awhile and noticed nothing is to be found!

Hawaii Music Supply is out of Kamaka's, Kanile'as, KoAloha's, Ko'olau's and even Pono's and Islanders!

The only Solid wood uke's I've found where Kala's and Cordoba's. Mike at hawaii music supply said, the manufacturers in China where building another factory or something which is why Pono hasn't sent any ukes but, why are all the other manufacturers so, behind?...

wickedwahine11
09-08-2011, 05:14 AM
It isn't that close (in San Jose) but have you tried Ukulele Source? I think they carry K brands. I've never been there but I've heard good things about them.
http://ukulelesource.com/

molokinirum
09-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Try calling the "K" companies directly. I was at Kamaka 2 weeks ago, no problem ordering a new uke, said it would take about 6 weeks to get it.

PoiDog
09-08-2011, 05:31 AM
I've been trying to buy a K-Brand Ukulele for awhile and noticed nothing is to be found!

Hawaii Music Supply is out of Kamaka's, Kanile'as, KoAloha's, Ko'olau's and even Pono's and Islanders!

The only Solid wood uke's I've found where Kala's and Cordoba's. Mike at hawaii music supply said, the manufacturers in China where building another factory or something which is why Pono hasn't sent any ukes but, why are all the other manufacturers so, behind?...

You could always go with a used one, no?

Ronnie Aloha
09-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Aren't Ponos made in Indonesia?

Magoosan
09-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Check with Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. They typically have a pretty good inventory. Played several Kamaka's when I was there in July.

Kanaka916
09-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Contact Sean Yacavone (http://ukulelefriend.com/) @(808) 294-1046 or email syacavone@gmail.com . . . he may have something on hand.

Hiddencross
09-08-2011, 06:29 AM

I noticed you're in Sacramento. Kline Music near City College has a concert and soprano Ko'Aloha in stock. At least they did when I stopped by last week. They also had a used Kamaka soprano. If you are looking for a tenor, I did not see anything there.

gyosh
09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
ukulele Source in San Jose has a nice selection of Kanilea, KoAloha and Kamaka ukulele's. They also carry a number of other brands including Nalu and the Kanilea Islander. Smiley and Janet are good people with good product selection and prices. Worth the drive!

-Gary

didgeridoo2
09-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Give McCabes in Santa Monica a call. They usually hav a pretty good selection.

mds725
09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
+1 on Ukulele Source.

You don't say what scale you're looking for. Tenors are in great demand and are generally harder to find. When I was at Ukulele Source at the end of July, Smiley had KoAloha concerts, sopranos and even a sceptre, but there was a waiting list for non-scepter tenors. They also had a Kanile'a tenor, concert and soprano. Ukulele Source recently became a Kamaka dealer, but Kamakas seem to sell quickly.

Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/) in Palo Alto sells Kamakas and lists its inventory on its website. Gryphon Strings currently has the following Kamakas in stock (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/inventory/instrument_page.php?Instrument=Ukulele&Query=Ukuleles): one new soprano, two new pineapples, one new concert and one used 2006 concert, a new tenor and a new 6-string tenor, and a new baritone. I bought a new Kamaka baritone and a used Kamaka tenor there and I'm very happy with both. The people there are very nice and they threw in a free Gryphon Strings t-shirt with my purchase.

GKK
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm looking for a new or used solid wood Tenor.

Hiddencross, I went by Kline music the other day but, they didn't have any K-brand Tenors.

Ronnie Aloha, Pono's are now made in China by about 4 or 5 Luthiers who have many years experience making Guitars. The quality of these new Pono's are a lot better than the Indonesian made pono's. The China factory is still being set up which I was told.

I'll check out the web sites suggested. Thanks everyone.

Hiddencross
09-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Hiddencross, I went by Kline music the other day but, they didn't have any K-brand Tenors.

Yeah, I was looking for tenors too. More window shopping than serious buying at this point. I did like the Ko'Aloha concert they had, however.

ksiegel
09-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I bought my Sceptre at Ukulele Source at the end of August. Smiley and Janey had several K-brand tenors in stock, and the prices were good. Free t-shirt, humidifier, chord charts, and case stickers included, and they split the shipping to NY with me.

I went twice, played almost every uke they had in the shop, and kept going back to the Sceptre.

I really would advise that you actually play the instruments, and pick from there- I've noticed that two otherwise identical Kamaka felt and sounded very different. (The same for the Kanileas and KoAlohas.) With the price point for the K-brands, you really need to know what you're getting, before you get it.

I know San Jose is a hike from Sacramento, but it is Worth The Trip.

It was worth the trip from Upstate New York, too. (g)

....-Kurt

mds725
09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's a used Kamaka HF-3 on eBay (serial number 111409, so it was made earlier this year), with an opening bid of $825.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270814463558&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

haolejohn
09-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Must not be looking hard enough:) I have no problem finding solid wood ukes.

nucum25
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Selling my tenor Islander on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Islander-Kanilea-tenor-ukulele-SOLID-MAHOGANY-/170693278433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27be1cbae1

Kanaka916
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Skip's in EG on occasions has carried Kanile'a and Pono in addition to Kala . . . just gotta check. I don't know what the Auburn Blvd store has.

KimosTherapy
09-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Are you specifically looking to buy a brand new "K" Brand uke? Are you open to used or previously owned ukes? There's a really nice Kamaka HF-3 Tenor with new hard shell case on eBay that is only a few months old and is in "Like New" condition. The Seller bought it from Hawaii Music Supply - so it comes with a nice setup. It was just relisted. No one took the plunge for the original listing price of $950. The Seller has re-listed with a starting bid of $825. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270814463558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_720wt_932

Uke Whisperer
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I noticed yesterday that North Carolina Uke Academy in Wilmington, NC had some Kamaka, Ko'olau and KoAloha ukes in-stock. Some Soprano, Concert and Tenor I believe. I've dealt with them and they are "good people".

Hiddencross
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Skip's in EG on occasions has carried Kanile'a and Pono in addition to Kala . . . just gotta check. I don't know what the Auburn Blvd store has.
Was at Skip's on Monday, my son has drum lessons there. They had a couple of Islander tenors, a Kala lacewood tenor and some assorted laminate Kalas and Lanikais. I didn't see any Pono or K-brand ukes.

jwieties
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I noticed yesterday that North Carolina Uke Academy in Wilmington, NC had some Kamaka, Ko'olau and KoAloha ukes in-stock. Some Soprano, Concert and Tenor I believe. I've dealt with them and they are "good people".
I was going to suggest contacting Kent at uke academy as well. He had several "k" tenors. He also has a used Pono concert which looked,played and sounded fantastic.

Gillian
09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
ukulele Source in San Jose has a nice selection of Kanilea, KoAloha and Kamaka ukulele's. They also carry a number of other brands including Nalu and the Kanilea Islander. Smiley and Janet are good people with good product selection and prices. Worth the drive!

-Gary

I was in Ukulele Source yesterday and their "K-wall" is getting pretty bare but Smiley told me he was expecting a shipment from KoAloha pretty soon.

Other stores in NorCal that sell the K-brands would be Aloha Warehouse (http://www.alohawarehouse.com/ukulele.php)in SF and Sylvan Music (http://www.sylvanmusic.com/logopage.php?search=Ukuleles&instrument=ukulele) in Santa Cruz and Gryphon Strings (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/inventory/instrument_page.php?Instrument=Ukulele&Query=Ukuleles) in Palo Alto.

BTW, if you decide to make the long drive to Santa Cruz, go on the 15th. You can spend some time at the beach, then noodle around with the ukes at Sylvan, (including the Compass Rose ukes by Rick Turner:drool: ), then go to the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz (http://www.ukuleleclub.com/)' monthly meeting. Jim D'Ville is giving his "Ukulele by Ear" workshop before the meeting. I suggest getting to Bocce's early if you want a seat and dinner, like at 5:00 even though the meeting doesn't start till 7:00.

GKK
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Was at Skip's on Monday, my son has drum lessons there. They had a couple of Islander tenors, a Kala lacewood tenor and some assorted laminate Kalas and Lanikais. I didn't see any Pono or K-brand ukes.

Thanks, Hiddencross.

I'm going to Skip's tomorrow too, check the ukes out.

I should've posted that the solid wood Tenor Uke's are getting harder to find which is what I'm looking for.

Handsome Gianni
09-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Hey GKK,

My name is John and I'm one of the managers at Nicholson Music in Folsom. We recently became a Kanilea dealer and currently have the Island Tat model (tenor) in stock. I have 2 of the K-1 tenor models with the premium curly koa on their way, hopefully by next month. Give me a call at the store at 916-983-0763 if you have any questions.... nicholsonmusic.com

Kanaka916
09-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Hey GKK,

My name is John and I'm one of the managers at Nicholson Music in Folsom. We recently became a Kanilea dealer and currently have the Island Tat model (tenor) in stock. I have 2 of the K-1 tenor models with the premium curly koa on their way, hopefully by next month. Give me a call at the store at 916-983-0763 if you have any questions.... nicholsonmusic.com
Hi John . . . Welcome to the Underground. It's great to see a local store carry a name brand instrument. Any plans on carrying other Hawaiian made instruments? Are accessories like strings, cases, humidifiers, etc. available?

Handsome Gianni
09-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to someday expand our uke line to carry more domestic made instruments. The shop's main focus is high end acoustic steel and classical guitars such as Martin, Northwood, Santa Cruz, Collings (see our website for more) but with the ukulele's popularity it sure would be nice to expand our high-end ukulele inventory. The new Martin ukes sure look nice and I hope to get some of their new tenors. Our current major brands are Kanilea, Kala, Lanikai, Cordoba, Makai and Kawai. We carry a lot of stringed instrument accessories as well. Just got some new hard tenor cases from Vineyard in crocodile and tweed. Really nice cases for not too much more than the foam counterparts.

I'd be more than happy to try to help you find whatever accessories you're looking for. Call me anytime!

Kanaka916
09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
One of these days I'll make down to the store for a looksee. Thanks John!

Handsome Gianni
09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
One of these days I'll make down to the store for a looksee. Thanks John!

That'd be great! Hope to see you soon. Btw, I'll be heading over the the uke festival in Napa this Sunday. If you're going, I'll be the one wearing the "Uke-oholic" t-shirt (that's the name of the ukulele club that I started here in Folsom).

lookingforcurly
09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Try Acoustic Vibes. Good selection and excellent prices and service.

Coconut Willie
09-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Have you called the "K" factories? Order from them and you should have no problem getting your "K" brand uke. I got my Kanile'a 6 string uke from Bounty Music located in Maui, Hawaii.

mds725
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Seal Beach Music just put a 2008 but new Kamaka tenor on eBay for $1,000. I'd post the link but I don't know how to do that from my phone. (I'll post one when I have access to a computer.)

consitter
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I know for a fact at Koaloha that they sell factory seconds. My concert is a second, I've had it for 5 years and still can't find anything to classify it as a second. Give them a call. Ask for Brian.

gyosh
09-11-2011, 02:33 AM
BTW, if you decide to make the long drive to Santa Cruz, go on the 15th. You can spend some time at the beach, then noodle around with the ukes at Sylvan, (including the Compass Rose ukes by Rick Turner:drool: )

Gryphon Stringed Instruments also carries the Compass Rose. And I agree :drool:

mds725
09-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Seal Beach Music just put a 2008 but new Kamaka tenor on eBay for $1,000. I'd post the link but I don't know how to do that from my phone. (I'll post one when I have access to a computer.)

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160650012866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649