PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on concert ukulele with pickup system

paeataa
09-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Hi there,

I have a Makai MC-70 concert-sized uke, which I really like. But I'm thinking about graduating a bit to the same size, but with a pickup system.

I am still rookie, and don't know for sure what I'm going to do with the pick up system on my uke. But as I want another uke with brighter sound than the Makai, I thought it'd be great to get an all-around uke :)

Any brands, models you would recommend? My budget is only about $200-$250 though.

Thank you! I'd appreciate any advice.

joep
09-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I have a Kala concert w/pick up. I really like it. I have only plugged it in a couple of times, but it sounded good to me.

PhilUSAFRet
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Check out the concert sized solid walnut fluke with the pickup in the UU Marketplace!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52843-FS-Solid-Body-Walnut-Concert-Fluke

bornagainjeeper
09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
A mainland cedar can have a pickup installed....It'd be a little more than your budget, but if you ate ramen for a week you'd be right on target....
www.mainlandukes.com

gyosh
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I've got my eye on one of these: Nalu Hokua HM1GSC GlossSuper Concert w/mi-si pickup.

TCK
09-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Second vote for Mainland and Ramen for a week

paeataa
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks guy. I just checked with Mike @ Mainland. The red cedar (concert) ukes have been and will be pretty out of stock for a big while.

And the pickup would cost me $100+ to be installed. Unless I'll live on instant noodle for a month, I'm thinking about going with a no pickup, but definitely with Mainland :)

Given the timeframe the ukes I'm looking for will be available, I'll have plenty of time to save up money. :D

But again, I still don't know what I'm going to do withe pickup. My uke playing skill is just like a baby -- doing some basic strumming patterns, thanks to UU lessons and and Uke minutes.

bornagainjeeper
09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
You will be very happy with a mainland...also, their mango wood version is fairly bright compared to a mahogany uke...its also unbelievably pretty, the picture doesn't do it justice. The wood tends to have a rippled pattern like waves of sand on the beach, and a deep golden honey color. Any music shop can also add a pick up at a later date for around 100 for a MiSi (one of the better uke pickups) the Trio model has a built in instant charge battery....you just plug it into the wall and its ready to go for 10+ hours in about a minute...

paeataa
09-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks again for all input :)

I just came across the Eleuke EAS (spruce top) and EAM (Mahagony) which are both acoustic and electric. Anyone own or ever play them? I was curious about the sound if it is similar or worse/better than acoustic ukes. My sound preference is bright, loud and clear (but not too punchy).

As far as I heard the Eleuke EAS/EAM sound sample on youtube, I think it sounds very similar to my Makai MC-70 spruce top -- which I still think it not as bright and loud as I wanted. Maybe it's the characteristic of spruce top that the sound doesn't project much??

Thank you for your suggestion!

paeataa
11-11-2011, 06:32 AM
the Trio model has a built in instant charge battery....you just plug it into the wall and its ready to go for 10+ hours in about a minute...

I just wondered if the Trio will work with any speaker systems, such as computer speakers. Or does it require amplifier?

Thanks!

brickerenator
11-28-2011, 04:03 AM
You will need an amplifier.

I've tried recording using the Mi-Si pickup on my Mainland, it's not the best. Using a cheap-o mic produces a far more acoustic sound. The same with my acoustic-electric guitar.

Piezo pickups are good for live performances, especially if you dance around, but they really can't beat a mic'd soundhole.

brickerenator
11-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Or, do this:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?8560-Electrify-your-uke-for-under-10-bucks

paeataa
11-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Thank you, brickerenator :)

Now you make me think that buying a MI-SI(Trio, active)-installed ukulele might not be a good idea for me. I just wanted my ukulele electrified to boost the volume level when jamming with the guitars. And I thought I could just plug it into a regular 2.1 speakers, and hoped that it would sound acoustically.

Oh well...