Suggestions on concert ukulele with pickup system

paeataa

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Makai MC-70 concert-sized uke, which I really like. But I'm thinking about graduating a bit to the same size, but with a pickup system.

I am still rookie, and don't know for sure what I'm going to do with the pick up system on my uke. But as I want another uke with brighter sound than the Makai, I thought it'd be great to get an all-around uke :)

Any brands, models you would recommend? My budget is only about $200-$250 though.

Thank you! I'd appreciate any advice.

I have a Kala concert w/pick up. I really like it. I have only plugged it in a couple of times, but it sounded good to me.

A mainland cedar can have a pickup installed....It'd be a little more than your budget, but if you ate ramen for a week you'd be right on target....
www.mainlandukes.com

I've got my eye on one of these: Nalu Hokua HM1GSC GlossSuper Concert w/mi-si pickup.

Thanks guy. I just checked with Mike @ Mainland. The red cedar (concert) ukes have been and will be pretty out of stock for a big while.

And the pickup would cost me $100+ to be installed. Unless I'll live on instant noodle for a month, I'm thinking about going with a no pickup, but definitely with Mainland :)

Given the timeframe the ukes I'm looking for will be available, I'll have plenty of time to save up money. :D

But again, I still don't know what I'm going to do withe pickup. My uke playing skill is just like a baby -- doing some basic strumming patterns, thanks to UU lessons and and Uke minutes.

You will be very happy with a mainland...also, their mango wood version is fairly bright compared to a mahogany uke...its also unbelievably pretty, the picture doesn't do it justice. The wood tends to have a rippled pattern like waves of sand on the beach, and a deep golden honey color. Any music shop can also add a pick up at a later date for around 100 for a MiSi (one of the better uke pickups) the Trio model has a built in instant charge battery....you just plug it into the wall and its ready to go for 10+ hours in about a minute...

Thanks again for all input :)

I just came across the Eleuke EAS (spruce top) and EAM (Mahagony) which are both acoustic and electric. Anyone own or ever play them? I was curious about the sound if it is similar or worse/better than acoustic ukes. My sound preference is bright, loud and clear (but not too punchy).

As far as I heard the Eleuke EAS/EAM sound sample on youtube, I think it sounds very similar to my Makai MC-70 spruce top -- which I still think it not as bright and loud as I wanted. Maybe it's the characteristic of spruce top that the sound doesn't project much??

Thank you for your suggestion!

the Trio model has a built in instant charge battery....you just plug it into the wall and its ready to go for 10+ hours in about a minute...

I just wondered if the Trio will work with any speaker systems, such as computer speakers. Or does it require amplifier?

Thanks!

You will need an amplifier.

I've tried recording using the Mi-Si pickup on my Mainland, it's not the best. Using a cheap-o mic produces a far more acoustic sound. The same with my acoustic-electric guitar.

Piezo pickups are good for live performances, especially if you dance around, but they really can't beat a mic'd soundhole.

Thank you, brickerenator :)

Now you make me think that buying a MI-SI(Trio, active)-installed ukulele might not be a good idea for me. I just wanted my ukulele electrified to boost the volume level when jamming with the guitars. And I thought I could just plug it into a regular 2.1 speakers, and hoped that it would sound acoustically.

Oh well...

Top Bottom