New Kala Uke day!

mandrew

Reaction score
I just received my new Kala concert travel uke via UPS. First of all, my heart sank when I saw the box on my porch! It looked as though UPS did everything possible to destroy any contents. I was certain that I would be i rebuilding mode. Thanks to the great packing done by Mike at Uke Republic, the uke is just fine!

It comes in a specially designed padded gig bag by Kala, with their logo on it very nice, but not enough room for asessories. I picked the uke up ad though, "their is no way I am going to get this to sound out." I tuned it up nd gave it a strum. . . I am totally in awe as to how much sound with great sustain comes out of this concert! I mean, you just have to hear it to believe it!!! who ever sat down and designed this realy knew what they were doing.

It comes with aquila strings, which are a good choice for this instrument. This uke is loud for its size, has wonderful sustain, and is bright but not obnoxious. There is remarkably good balance in the sound. It is very well finished, inside ad out. It is obvious that some extra work is put into these. On the less expensive models, the inside of the body just has a solid strip around the inside to provide a glue strip. This instrument has the same style as you find in a top end uke or guitar. Very clean inside, smooth, even finish without.

The tuners are sealed tuners of good quality. If I have any knock on this instrument, it would be with these tuners. The body is so light, that these tunes make the headstock a little too heavy and unbalanced. Good friction tuners would be a plus here.

But the big news is the sound! I am in absolute awe at what I here! You really need to treat yourself to one of these! They compete with ukes costing far more, in my opinion. I would include a picture, but truthfully, the ones on the websites are better than what I can produce, and equally representative. Check out the Kala website, or Uke Republic. Mike is great to deal with, and I highly recommend him

I always say, "Kala's should be the 5th K-Brand!"...

congrats on your new uke! :)

I was realy impressed with the sound of their pocket uke, for such a small instrument. and the friction tuners are realy good. I wonder why they didnt use the on your travel model too.
being 'thin-line' perhaps it was because geared do present a thinner profile to match?

Congrats! I've got a Kala thinline tenor and I was similarly blown away at the sound you get out of one.

It comes in a specially designed padded gig bag by Kala, with their logo on it very nice, but not enough room for asessories.
Yes, the bag is nice and all, but I wish they'd spent a little more on an accessory pocket and a shoulder strap instead of all that fancy embroidery.

Congratulations! I have both the tthinline tenor and concert, and I love them both, especially the quality of the sound. I carry mine around in a backpack, but I agree that the gigbag should come with a shoulder strap.

Congratulations. Your description was fabulous. I can hardly wait for my KA-T to arrive.

It must be Kala thinline week. I am expecting my tenor cedar top to arrive from HMS tomorrow (Friday).

I am surprised there is no shoulder strap. I will most likely add one myself. Maybe an outside pocket as well, if I can find the right fabric.

IMHO the Kala Thinline series are design & engineering masterpieces. Outstanding value. I bought a soprano for my wife and it's her go-anywhere uke of choice.

Agreeing with other folks here. I have a tenor, which I bought just last month - my first uke in, oh, about 40 years LOL - I last played when I was a little girl. The salesman at the local small chain store told me it was his favorite of all the ones they had in stock and I have to say I am really impressed with the sound and the build quality. The case is nice too, but as others have said, could stand a little more storage space and a shoulder strap.

Top Bottom