interview with Gibson CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh...really, already with the political commentary? Maybe the mods should auto-lock any thread with the word Gibson in it.

Sigh...really, already with the political commentary? Maybe the mods should auto-lock any thread with the word Gibson in it.

Yes , and anyone who types the word Gibson should have their computer confiscated. Oops , except me.

Last edited:
I guess I am happy to own a Hamer instead. 10 times the guitar at half the price, and they didn't break any laws manufacturing it.

Well, without picking a side, I will say trying to eliminate the political aspects of what happened to Gibson is like saying "We can discuss Santa Clauses travels, but ya can't talk about Reindeer or sleighs" The reality is that once in a blue moon, politics WILL cross over into a relevant Ukulele Underground topic, particularly in light of what the President of Gibson is saying. Would it get heated? Possibly, even probably. Lively debate on an occasional issue isn't necessarily a bad thing. If one doesn't like that . . .one can simply click to another topic that has no political overtones. And it is a disservice to the stringed instrument community as a whole to not allow such discussion, in my opinion. That being said, I will honor it.

I will add though, that Gibson has not yet been shown to have done anything illegal . . .at all.

To suggest that enforcement of environmental laws is based on the politics of your donations is ridiculous and to suggest that laws against the importation of endangered plants and animals, should not be enforced regardless of whether they're used for your favorite instrument, is so short sighted that it doesn't warrant debate. Look around you folks, the natural world that you grew up with already has been altered sufficiently that some of the birds and bees that you were raised with will not likely be around for your kids to see. It's too bad that the feds were so heavy handed about this, but if heavy handed saves a few law enforcement officers lives then I'm okay with them erring on the side of caution and I'm an old hippie from Berkeley. My guess is that the head of Gibson thinks it's okay to use up every last rosewood tree for his guitars as long as he can make money doing it, but then I didn't watch the whole interview. One point three minutes was sufficient for me. Really, let's keep the political BS off this section of the board, there is another section for non-uke talk IIRC. Onwards and upwards, g2

@ Woodcutterron, I didn't address why I put down Gibson in another thread. I don't care for them because they wouldn't repair a cracked bracing that my cousin discovered on his acoustic after he owned it for 2 months. Granted, there was no cosmetic damage to it, but it created a heck of a buzz when it was played rendering an $800 guitar useless. He even purchased and used an in case humidifer with it. That was their claim for not honoring the warranty, was no humidifer was used causing it to crack, even though the humidifier was purchased on the same receipt.

As far as the political mumbo jumbo, I wish them no ill-will, as long as they are above board. I just don't want to see any American jobs lost, because WAY too many people are out of work now.

Last edited:
There are two sides to every story and I'd like to hear both sides. Gibson is innocent until proven guilty. Saying that this can't be talked about is crazy. Anyone who doesnt want to read about this doesnt have too. Don't read this thread if you find it offensive. If gibson is innocent I want to know , if they are guilty I would like to know. If you think this is a political issue ( I dont see that ) , don't read this thread there are plenty of others that wont offend you. I think you are jumping the gun , there is nothing bad that I can see in this discussion but if someone does they don't have to join it.

Last edited:
@Pukulele, what's the point of having different categories if everything goes in uke talk? Frankly, I don't want to have to wade through political claptrap (do you really think that the Alex Jones video is objective in any form?) to get to real uke talk. The place for a post like this is in General Discussion. That's my main point.

@Pete, I don't know if the comment was directed at me, but if it was here's what I gotta say. Don't put topics on here to be "clicked on" if they don't want to hear something against it. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has them, and they all stink.

I wasnt' posting to anyone in particular. I just don't understand why this can't be discussed. This is getting silly. Over and out.

Ok.

While there is no explicit rule about not discussing politics, there IS mention in the rules of keeping on topic. This is the uke section, so it's not hard to recognise when things start to drift.

This really bites . . .though I can't comment on it unless it's a liberal comment.
This kind of comment does, IMO, break a couple of UU rules, namely:
  • "Please refrain from unnecessary posting" - it contributes nothing to the discussion
  • "Don't be a jerk" - Please don't accuse people of attitudes that, in fact, don't really exist here.
In light of the lack of 'ukulele content, I'm closing this one.

You're still not prohibited from discussing Gibson (in a reasonable manner), but if it's not directly about ukes then please post in General or whichever section is appropriate, then the thread won't get moved/closed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom