Songs best for low g tuning?

ukemunga

Reaction score
Do you have any that you think just sound better with a low g?

I guess from what I've read in general, jazz and blues?

Specific songs?

Thanks,
Fred

I don't think it really makes any difference. You just have to arrange a song differently for high G vs. low G. Sometimes it is easier to arrange and play a song in one or the other. A number of solo classical/jazz uke players prefer to arrange using a low-G, but there are a lot of players who play classical and jazz songs with re-entrant so in the end it's more of just personal preference. I prefer low-G since I come from a classical guitar background and I'm just hardwired to think the lowest string will be the bass.

I'm still working my through that question too, but I have formed a preliminary opinion based on my limited experience. Songs written for ukulele, especially the early classics from the 20s and 30s nearly always sound better on a reentrant uke. So do bluegrass songs when strummed. Songs written for guitar, rock, blues, etc seem to sound best when played with a low G uke.

I agree with AllanR and will go one step further in saying that if you like Travis picking and old country or folk music, well it sounds great on a linear tuning, and garbage on a re-entrant. I will go a step further in saying that I think Bluegrass sounds a lot better on a linear set up than a re-entrant one, if you play the flat picking part. If you tend more toward the Mando sound, re-entrant is the way to go.

Check out Herb Ohta Jr. if you're looking for a specific artist. He's the top dog when it comes to plain, beautiful low-g 'ukulele work. Something like his "Sand Castles" is a brilliant piece.

I agree with AllanR and will go one step further in saying that if you like Travis picking and old country or folk music, well it sounds great on a linear tuning, and garbage on a re-entrant. I will go a step further in saying that I think Bluegrass sounds a lot better on a linear set up than a re-entrant one, if you play the flat picking part. If you tend more toward the Mando sound, re-entrant is the way to go.

It's all in the interpretation and playing style... picking sounds just fine on a re-entrant, you just have to locate your bass on the 2nd string. As far as blending with folkie music... a faux or almost clawhammer or two-fingers approach gives a re-entrant uke a beautiful tone when mixing in on old-timey and folkie stuff, where that same uke would sound sort of dull and lackluster with a low-G. The sparkle of a re-entranted tuned uke in that sort of music is just plain pretty (and driving) in the same way a well-played 5-string is.

I agree with TCK about the old country ("cowboy") songs. Since you asked for specific songs, "Streets of Laredo" is one I like in low-g.

My low-g favorite songs: "Hallelujah" and "City of New Orleans"

I'm still working my through that question too, but I have formed a preliminary opinion based on my limited experience. Songs written for ukulele, especially the early classics from the 20s and 30s nearly always sound better on a reentrant uke. So do bluegrass songs when strummed. Songs written for guitar, rock, blues, etc seem to sound best when played with a low G uke.

Makes perfect sense!

Top Bottom