New Vintage Banjo Uke

gnordenstam

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Picked up a no-name banjo uke from the late '20s. The original head has a bunch of signatures and fraternity signs on it. I'll get a better picture of the uke and original head in the next couple of days.
--G

banjo-uke.jpg

Throw us a picture of the inside of the pot if you would (the backside). I totally looks like a Slingerland "jobber" but my 12 hook May Bell has a different head stock- need to see the dowel to be sure. In any event- it looks like a great old BU-Congratulations!
and welcome to the dork side of ukulele :)

I don't think it's a Slingerland. It's got a different headstock and the backs of most Slingerlands were open or had a small removable 'resonator'. Not a closed F-hole back.

Yep- head stock is a little more round than my '20s May Bell 20 (same shape though) and no Slingerland had a resonator like that. Now that we are in the back of it, I think John is probably right (he is real good at these ain't he?).
Here is the head stock from the May Bell that is close to it, but not quite-it is more pointy.
DSC00909.jpg

I'd like to buy a vintage banjo uke someday but do not know what to look for. Don't want to get taken advantage of.

A Stathapolo uke? I'm going to have to do some digging in that area. I found "DePauw" under one of the signatures on the original head, so I searched some of the fraternities and sororities there using the graduation dates next to the signatures (late 20's through early 30's) and had a couple of hits. Actually found their obituaries from around 2003 and 2007. I'm going to do some more "detective" work and see what if I can any of these people or their next of kin - be interesting to share a picture of their signatures on the original head.
--G

I'd like to buy a vintage banjo uke someday but do not know what to look for. Don't want to get taken advantage of.

I bought mine from a reputable shop that does instrument repair and restoration. Plus, I had a chance to play it in person.
--G

WOW! Both my oldies are unsigned as such...you found their obits? That is a piece of history tight there.
A Stathapolo uke? I'm going to have to do some digging in that area. I found "DePauw" under one of the signatures on the original head, so I searched some of the fraternities and sororities there using the graduation dates next to the signatures (late 20's through early 30's) and had a couple of hits. Actually found their obituaries from around 2003 and 2007. I'm going to do some more "detective" work and see what if I can any of these people or their next of kin - be interesting to share a picture of their signatures on the original head.
--G

Top Bottom