Does anyone else tune a step down?

Bao

Reaction score
I tried some ukuleles at the music store and they tuned it a whole step down, probably to prevent neck damage? but anyway, it sounds amazing ! I love the sound, it gives my ukulele more bass and sustain.

Try it out if you haven't, maybe you'll like it too.

Fine if you are playing on your own, but it makes it difficult for everyone if you are playing with others.

When you say "a full step down," where are you starting from? I mean, some players tune normally ADF#B, a full step up from GCEA. Both are used frequently, although I'm fairly positive the latter is used more commonly now.

Yeah that's true, it is difficult ken, I mainly just use this tuning for solo stuff.
Hmgberg, I tuned down from GCEA.

I have my bluegrassuke tuned down to FBbDG using Southcoast mediums. I'm planning to put on Southcoast heavy strings and tune down farther to EAC#F#.

I too like the sustain and richness lowering the tuning gives you. Adding vibrato is easier too. However, I think that certain instruments are better suited to being tuned lower. My bluegrassuke is pretty heavily built and has a larger than normal tenor body.
I tried tuning my MP tenor down and it really didn't work well - mind you, it's a more standard tenor size and has a much lighter construction. Also leaving the MP tuned to GCEA lets me play better with others ;) just as Ken mentioned.

I'm trying to find the right uke in my stable to tune down to Bb tuning, but haven't been happy with the results yet. I want a uke tuned down a step so that some of those notes that seem higher than they used to (vocally) won't seem quite so high any more.

Since I don't play with anyone else, I have been messing with my tuning considerably. Right now I'm loving my Lehua Tenor with wound C string. I have it tuned down as low as I can without it sounding 'Floppy', or losing too much sustain. Really warm and deep sounding. Love it. Fun to mess around with tuning. Really changes the feel and sound of any uke. I have my sopraninio tuned way up and it just sings along.

If you're not playing along with someone else, mess around with your tuning!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Skottoman - I think the kind of string you're using makes a big difference when trying to tune down. I'm using SouthCoast because certain types are specifically made to be played in a lower key.

I tried tuning some Fremont blacks down to Bb and them to be pretty floppy.

I really love the sound of Bb tuning on tenor ukes. You're not the only one. I'm not a fan of uke groups, so I don't really have to worry about that aspect.

Skottoman - I think the kind of string you're using makes a big difference when trying to tune down. I'm using SouthCoast because certain types are specifically made to be played in a lower key.

I tried tuning some Fremont blacks down to Bb and them to be pretty floppy.

You're probably right. I need to try some other types of strings, but currently I'm loving the lower sound from my Tenor. Same technique did not work on my concert with Fremonts though.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Try tuning a step up :)

I tuned up a dolphin with soprano aquilas on it and it is a really sweet sound.

Top Bottom