Another Work in Progress – Soprano for Howlin’ Hobbit

Dominator

Reaction score
This uke has taken forever to come together. It’s been almost two years in the making (dang, that day job just keeps getting in the way).

This is a soprano for Howlin’ Hobbit. We talked about me building him an uke before I even built my first soprano. I built a prototype last year and sent it off to him to mess with for a few months. The only things he requested/suggested for this uke was 12 frets with no extended fingerboard and combination FB markers. Other than that he didn’t even want to know anything else about the uke. I’m in the home stretch and thought it was time to give him a sneak peek. The top still needs to be buffed out, tuners drilled and installed, attach the bridge, make the nut and saddle and string it up. Oh, yeah HH wants Aquila Concert guage strings.

hhs1.JPG

hhs2.JPG

Some specs:
Western red cedar top
Figured cherry back and sides
Mahogany neck
Ebony fingerboard and bridge
Peghead© geared tuners
Ebony peghead overlay
MOP side/fingerboard markers at the 5th, 7th and 10th frets
Top finish is laquer
Balance of instrument finished in Tru-oil and wax

Well done dom, and im so envious of Hobbit. that back is amazing all the grains coming together... simply stunning!

Man she's looking sexy Dom! I have really taken interest in trying my hand as an amatuer luthier and purchased some materials from Hanalima, etc. How tough is it to get started? Big investment for specialized tools ( I have the basics and beyond)? Any advise on suppliers for the wood. I have been chatting a lot with Rivrdriftr off ebay lately and see some dreamy combinations I would love to attempt.

bassukuguy has it right said it perfectly.

that back is amazing all the grains coming together... simply stunning!

is it me or is the fret board a little wider? mybe its because theres no tuners/strings. either way i cant wait for the finished model, hope HH puts a video of it up.

David, I will get back to you regarding your questions when I have a little more time.

is it me or is the fret board a little wider? mybe its because theres no tuners/strings.

I think the standard width at the nut is 1 3/8". I build most of mine with a 1 1/2" width at the nut. This helps a lot to keep the A string from guttering out and slipping off the fretboard during aggressive play and it really doesn't feel that much different.

Thanks folks. I hope to string it up within the next couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

that uke is pure beauty. really nice work Dom! like Deach, i can't wait to see this uke played by the Hobbit.

on another woodworking note, i can crank out a mean birdhouse. if only there existed a Birdhouse Underground.:(

Blast that Howlin' Hobbit, getting a pretty custom uke. I'm so jealous.

Looks great, I bet it sounds even better. Kudos Dom

Beautiful work Dom, I'd love to see how it looks when done.

Man she's looking sexy Dom! I have really taken interest in trying my hand as an amatuer luthier and purchased some materials from Hanalima, etc. How tough is it to get started? Big investment for specialized tools ( I have the basics and beyond)? Any advise on suppliers for the wood. I have been chatting a lot with Rivrdriftr off ebay lately and see some dreamy combinations I would love to attempt.

Not as much of an investment as you might think. The only powertools that I own are a Dremel, and an electric jig saw.plus I borrow my father in law's battery powered drill, and skill saw from time to time.
Most of what i do is with hand tools, it takes longer, but it helps you appreciate it more once yu can use power tools.
All you have to think about is buy what you need as you go instead of alot of stuff before you start.
I would also advise any one interested in building to buy the hana lima construction manual, it is the best one on the market.
Aloha
Bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom