PDA

View Full Version : You guys help me--is Lokahi a he or a she?

consitter
09-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Hello ukers,

Give me your opinion...is Lokahi a he or a she, and why do you think that? I don't normally name objects, but this one has taken on a life of its own. And I'm leaning toward a gender, but I want others insight...seriously, or even tongue in cheek. Let's have a little fun with this. I'm including another pic for those of you that haven't seen it. If you want to see more, there's a thread in the reviews section titled "Custom built Koaloha built by Paul Okami--don't know how to post pics." Well my wife whipped my into shape on that, so there's more to see if you want.

Another question: I've actually got some pics of my uke during the build. Would anybody be interested in seeing them? I'm thinking of doing a thread called "Birth of an ukulele" or something like that. Let me know what you think.

Scott27848

Noobie
09-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Overall I'd say He, but those busty mountains make me say She.

alanjang
09-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Anything that looks and plays that sweet and lovely has to be a she.

consitter
09-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys. I've kinda got a tie. Anymore of you willing to throw anything out there for me?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-09-2011, 06:26 AM
My neighbor's name is Lokahi. It's a strong Hawaiian male name.

rem50
09-09-2011, 06:28 AM
He. Looks too solid of build to be feminine. A strong looking instrument and probably has a lot of sound.

vanflynn
09-09-2011, 07:05 AM
It told you it's name and in due time it will tell you it's gender.

ukestah
09-09-2011, 08:37 AM
My neighbor's name is Lokahi. It's a strong Hawaiian male name.

I'm in agreement with Chuck, Lokahi is a male name! Beautiful uke, and an even more beautiful backstory. Thank you for sharing with us consitter!

consitter
09-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm in agreement with Chuck, Lokahi is a male name! Beautiful uke, and an even more beautiful backstory. Thank you for sharing with us consitter!

He. Looks too solid of build to be feminine. A strong looking instrument and probably has a lot of sound.

I was leaning toward male anyway, for one, to many females in my house already! ;) And you're right rem50, it is a VERY strong build with some heft to it. He's does have a strong voice with lots of sustain.

Thanks to all for your opinions. Anybody game for a future posting of "Birth of an Ukulele' with my construction pics Paul took?

roxhum
09-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Okay, you are deciding male, but when I looked at it I thought, "ooh, SHE is beautiful"

consitter
09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Okay, you are deciding male, but when I looked at it I thought, "ooh, SHE is beautiful"
You're not gonna believe this, but Alan Okami referred to it as "she" in his comment after reading my story. Considering that's REAL close to the source, I may have to re-think this whole thing!

hapuna
09-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm going to have to go with "gender neutral". :D

consitter
09-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm going to have to go with "gender neutral". :D

Maybe, raise it to be "what it wants to be?"

zac987
09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking androgynous like Ziggy Stardust :P

consitter
09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm thinking androgynous like Ziggy Stardust :P

What will I tell them when it starts school??

joejeweler
09-10-2011, 07:23 PM

A lot of sound,....then DEFINATELY a SHE! The twin peaks is another indicater.... :D

consitter
09-10-2011, 07:32 PM
A lot of sound,....then DEFINATELY a SHE! The twin peaks is another indicater.... :D

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now THAT'S funny!!

bbycrts
09-10-2011, 07:42 PM
He's wearing a bow tie bridge. Very natty. He.

consitter
09-10-2011, 08:07 PM
He's wearing a bow tie bridge. Very natty. He.

Don't know about that, I've seen some knock-out women in tuxedos!

joekulele
09-10-2011, 08:53 PM
What a great story. Wow. You know, Alan called it. It's a "she", and what a beauty!

consitter
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
What a great story. Wow. You know, Alan called it. It's a "she", and what a beauty!
Thank you to both. Do you happen to know Alan?

consitter
09-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Paul Okami and he let out a huge laugh about the twin peaks remark. Then later in our conversation, I was telling him my wife won't let me take Lokahi to Hawaii next year (afraid it will get damaged or stolen) so I'm taking my concert to enter the cruise talent show. He said, "That's like taking your second choice to prom!" So, at this time, I am officially proclaiming Lokahi a lady (male name and all.)

09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
i know a couple wahine named Lokahi (both in Hawai`i, both Hawaiian). don't know where you heard it was specifically a kane name.

ukestah
09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
i know a couple wahine named Lokahi (both in Hawai`i, both Hawaiian). don't know where you heard it was specifically a kane name.

While its not specifically a kane name, in general, not many women are named Lokahi. I'm actually surprised you know two!

Ku`auhau
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Is the uke a tenor or soprano? Or, is it a tenor singing falsetto?

I don't know anybody name "Lokahi" so you'll just have to figure it out.

Do that, and we'll all be in 'agreement' or 'unity' on Lokahi.:D

Ku`auhau
Kona, Hawai`i

consitter
09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Is the uke a tenor or soprano? Or, is it a tenor singing falsetto?

I don't know anybody name "Lokahi" so you'll just have to figure it out.

Do that, and we'll all be in 'agreement' or 'unity' on Lokahi.:D

Ku`auhau
Kona, Hawai`i

She's a tenor strung in low 'g'. And after talking to Paul last night, and Alan's comment to Lokahi's story, I've decided wahine! This has been fun, anymore input is still welcome, however you want to put it. I'm game!