How to buy a Breuko/Brukko

samtay6

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried to purchase a Brukko/Breuko (I've seen it spelled both ways)? I've been interested in one since seeing a ken middleton review, but the website is very much german/european. I don't even see the option to pay with anything but euros. Anyone know how to buy one stateside?

Mike at UkeRepublic has a few, the No. 6 soprano if I remember right. They look nice!

what is the saddle made of on the 6? it's tough to tell from the pictures. to me for some reason it looks like it's integrated into the bridge, but i am sure this is not the case. anyone able to clarify? also, for those who have played them how would you describe the sound? i've been looking for a soprano for a while now and want that old, vintage mahogony sound and these look very nice. how loud are they, how is the fit and finish/workmanship? are they light instruments?

what is the saddle made of on the 6? it's tough to tell from the pictures. to me for some reason it looks like it's integrated into the bridge, but i am sure this is not the case.

On a Standard No. 6, the saddle and bridge are one piece wood. If you want a plastic saddle, you'll have to order it custom. I haven't bought one, but I tried one out at the local uke store- pretty light, but feels solid in the hand. I found it really well built. Later, I was able to try one at a uke meet-up. The neck felt really comfortable, and even with the included strings it sounded pretty nice. But then again, you sort of can't really tell these things in a small room full of uke players chatting, drinking, and all playing different songs.

oh, by the way, on the No. 6, the frets are hammered directly onto the neck- no fretboard, which totally surprised me, but I guess it keeps costs down.

From what I've read on the German Uke message boards, the best way to order one is to call Herr Pfeiffer direct.

I believe the wood is Jacaranda and it is all one piece. The neck and fingerboard are also one piece of solid maple. I have some early built ukuleles from Chicago and Hawaii that used these same methods so the sound you hear is very vintage one could say.
what is the saddle made of on the 6? it's tough to tell from the pictures. to me for some reason it looks like it's integrated into the bridge, but i am sure this is not the case. anyone able to clarify? also, for those who have played them how would you describe the sound? i've been looking for a soprano for a while now and want that old, vintage mahogony sound and these look very nice. how loud are they, how is the fit and finish/workmanship? are they light instruments?

darn. since i'm sort of particular about my set ups, and without a separate saddle to adjust i guess this takes the Brueko out of the options i have. guess i'll just have to continue to wait for the SK-38 to become available...

Here's a pic showing both Brüko saddles:

http://www.brueko.com/galerie/saitenhalter.jpg

As MisterRios said, you may consider a custom. They are comparable in price to the Special Models in the Brüko online shop. However, you can choose the wood your Ukulele is made from and more. There is a Word document that lists all the options on this page (2nd link):

http://brueko.de/en/custommade.html (Edit: click on the "download area" link first)

You can also decide which kind of saddle you want and which materials. I got two saddles (one higher, one lower) without even having asked for it.

Here's my custom longneck (mahogany, ebony):

brueko_mahagoni_longneck_01.jpg

Saddle is ebony too:

brueko_mahagoni_longneck_02.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom