I Have Found The Way - Louvin Brothers cover

23skidoo

Reaction score
This has always been one of my favorite Louvin Bros. tunes, from their "Songs That Tell A Story" songbook. Got a little help on this one from my friend Zac..... he's actually a very accomplished pianist and guitarist who slums it with me and another buddy every once in a while because we 'tolerate' his fiddle playing, lol.... I've really learned a lot from him about guitar, and music in general, so it was nice to get to record him.....

THis has made me smile more than I am allowed to smile, more than I have certainly this week. The Louvin Brothers have been covered over and over again...and I am fairly certain I have them all...
Except this one, which is my new favorite.
YOU GUYS KNOCKED THIS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE PARK.
Yeah- I yelled it.
Excellent job here.

Thanks, guys..... yeah, this is a fun one to sing and play.... The original is some sadistically insane tempo, up around 140 or 150 bpm..... even slowing it down, this was really pushing how fast I'm able to play and pick out individual notes - I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.... it was fun working with someone else, too..... glad y'all liked it, thanks for the kind words....

I loved it too! If I had more time and money I would learn how to play the fiddle/violin. What's the difference other than the style of playing?
Oops, off subject. Great job!

Thanks, Roxhum, glad you enjoyed it, we had a fun making it! And as far as I know, it's the same instrument.... guess it depends on how the player wants to think about it.;)

I've thought about picking it up myself, but it's a steeeeep learning curve. My buddy Zac is an amazing pianist (actually gets paid to do it on a regular basis) and a kick-a$$ guitar player - a lot better than me, anyway. He's been playing fiddle for several years, but I think he still finds it pretty challenging to play as fluently as he does other instruments....

Fiddle or Violin? Fun conundrum there. I was once told by a builder that each instrument he builds chooses which it is when he plays it. I never got as far as what he is looking for (I can assume that louder and brighter ones are fiddles), because I was trying to get him to show me how to set one up.
My dad and I have helped run a large fiddle festival for the last ten years, and fiddle set-up was the first thing I ever did on a string instrument. Biggest difference is that fiddle players flatten the bridge so they can play two strings at once (or three), and violin players tend to curve them to hit individual notes. I know when I make dad a new bridge for his fiddle, it makes my classical vionlinist friend CRINGE :)

If I had some hair, I would have put on some Dapper Dan. That was so fine,
almost as though them syreens had loved me up and turned me into a horny toad.

You know, wee, the pleasing odor is half the point. I glad you enjoyed it ...... I didn't even have to pay Zac $10 to sing into my can.....

Really Enjoyed This!

Nice treatment of a classic. Louvin Bothers songs lend themselves to ukulele. Hats off to both of you. Sitting here in Nashville listening to Louvin Brothers on an uke... now that's snappy. We lost Charlie Louvin early this year at age 83... he was an institution in this town.

Nice treatment of a classic. Louvin Bothers songs lend themselves to ukulele. Hats off to both of you. Sitting here in Nashville listening to Louvin Brothers on an uke... now that's snappy. We lost Charlie Louvin early this year at age 83... he was an institution in this town.

I was sad when I heard of his passing back in January.... I've been a huge Louvin Bros. fan for a very long time..... always thought it was sad the Ira left us too soon, but Charlie went on to record so many great tunes on his own. Thanks for the comments..... I play lots of their tunes and always try to mimic Ira's mandolin with the 'uke - doesn't always work so well, but it's getting better....

Top Bottom