Love This Little Kala

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Grabbed the Kala Travel Tenor and i am loving it. Like others have said, this lil guy packs a punch for such a thin body. Nice even tone between strings and the intonation is spot on other than the A string. I am going to try to compensate that one.

I know many folks here are not pickguard fans, but I come from guitar and still use a wood pick now and then, so I kinda dig them.

Here are a couple pics.uke1.jpguke2.jpg

congrats on the new uke , that wood looks very nice. Im not much of a fan myself of pickguards on guitars even I have to say. atleast the one on there seems to be fairly modest.

Congratulations! A fine choice. I have the travel concert and am still in awe every time I strum it. It is great for picking too! Have fun!!

That is a nice little uke! They sure do have a big sound for such a thin body.

Thanks guys. I really am amazed at the tone this thing pushes out. My best guess would be it has to do with the arched back and spruce top. The pickguard is not something I would consider for a high-end uke. I figured I would give 'er a go on this one.

I have a thinline tenor as well and agree with everything you have said. I have also put a strap on mine as I find it a bugger to hold onto.
I just put a set of "D'addario J65 clear nylon" (B, F#, D, A) though I have it tuned GCEA and I was surprised by how good they sound and feel. Nice tone, lots of volume and sustain and with a bit less tension and less squeakiness than aquila. Here's a quick and dirty sound sample:

Top Bottom