Monkey pod ukuleles and strings to choose?

Bao

Reaction score
I currently own a Lanikai SMP-TCA and the strings are currently Aquila Nylgut tenor strings. I've had them for a while and to be honest, I felt that these strings sounded okay, nothing special.

What strings do you think will give a fuller, warmer and more mellow tone? I was thinking daddario Pro arte hard tension strings because they are the only other options that i can find in stores at the moment.

Any opinions?

If you ever heard the sound clip on Hawaiian Music Supply for your uke, about halfway they changed to Ko'olau Alohi's, they installed low g's. The improvement in sound over factory strings was astonishing. If I had that uke, it would be a no brainer for me. Not sure that video still exists anywhere

Oooops, found something for you if you haven't seen it already:

http://theukulelereview.com/2011/03...-review-aquila-vs-koolau-tenor-string-battle/

Last edited:
The thing I love about ukuleles is that strings are comparatively cheap (my usual instrument is a six string bass, so find me something cheap in that realm), allowing you to try a bunch of different strings and options. I went a little crazy and am sitting on about ten sets of strings with some wound Cs, some low Gs and regular tunings.

That said, I have a set of D'Addario J54s on my mahogany tenor and think they warm them up a bit from the Nylguts that Elderly put on it at the store. The wound C for me is nice; it gives it a little more body and oomph! than the regular all nylon set.

hmgberg I heard many good things about those strings but unfortunately they don't sell them at my local music store and I can't buy online at the moment.
Oh yes phil, I remember those strings well ! I've still got them but i'm putting them aside because i'm not much of a fan of Low G strings unfortunately. They sounded great but wasn't my cup of tea.
One Bad Monkey, I agree with you on the bass comment. A set of Fender bass strings cost 80 at my local music shop, no way would I pay for that. I have tried a wound C before but I dislike the sound when you slide your fingers on the string, it just ruins the whole experience for me personally.

By the way, would it be a waste if I restrung my ukulele when i know my aquilas still have a little bit of life in them?

You didn't like the sound of the low g Alohi set or Alohi in general? Ko'olau has them in several different configs. There is an all plain set, one with a wound 4th, a wound 3rd and a wound 3rd and 4th. These strings, IMO are just a tad warmer than the J71. The tone is crisp and clear and playability and feel are similar to the D'Addario.

The alohi low G set sounded amazing but i'm one of those people who just prefer the re entrant tuning rather than low G. And I'm also not a fan of wound strings due to the sound when i run my fingers over the strings.

Top Bottom