Fun Uke Day

nix

Reaction score
Hi! Is anyone else a little sad that they aren't at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival today? I sure wish I was there. Since I couldn't go, I decided to have a fun ukulele day right in my home town. I went to a beginner ukulele workshop at Sam Ash, had strap buttons installed on my tenor, bought a new strap and a couple of fun song books. Then I went home and strummed away.

Now I might head over to iTunes and get a new Iz or Jake album.

Do you have a way to stave off uke festival envy?

Nix

Me and three of my uke club friends were in a parade! We rode in the back of a decorated truck, hoisting our ukuleles and waving to the watchers. Then at the post-parade party, (barbecue, beer, bake sale, raffles, games for the kids)we performed for everyone by playing five songs on the stage while the live band had a break. We played "Don't Sing Aloha When I Go", an original song written by one of our club members, "Music, Music, Music" "Looking Out My Back Door" and "That Flaming Ukulele in the Sky" as a finale. I made lots of mistakes and we all had great a great time. Smiles everywhere. So no festival envy this year!

Maybe next year I'll go the festival.

No envy here in Portland. Tomorrow's the monthly Portland Ukulele Association meeting. I've never made it to one before (busy schedule, random can't-miss events) so I'm extra excited to meet some local players and make some music. Whee!

Oops, that probably won't help anyone's uke festival envy outside the Portland area. Heh. Sorry.

My grandpa was a both a surgeon and a psychiatrist. He told me when I was young that the cure for uke festival envy is to play your ukulele for hours and hours. Maybe try that.

I'm glad to see that others are treating themselves to great uke days without being at the Wine Country Uke Fest! I'm at WUCF and having a great time, except that I'm not recovered enough from my bicycle accident to take full advantage -- I had to skip the "James Hill and Friends" concert on Friday and the Saturday Luau with Gerald Ross's Jazz Band Uke Jam.

I live in Kentucky and there's not any festivals here for ukes, so I make every day a fun uke day just because I'm lucky enough to have them. I try to play every day. I have only missed one since July 15, when I was so sick I couldn't lift my head--not a good uke day!

Top Bottom