Should I get a Mainland Mahogany Soprano Pineapple?

sbpark

Reaction score
So I've been in the market now for several months for a soprano uke. I own 2 concerts, a Koaloha and an Ohana CK-35, but have had the bug for a soprano for a long time and I thought the need for one would pass but it hasn't. I have been waiting for a very long time for the Ohana CK-38 but nobody knows when these will be available. I want solid wood, friction tuners and want mahogany and Mainland has the mahogany pineapples in stock. Looking for an old school, vintage-ish sound. There is a sweet Kamaka pineapple at a local shop, but i cannot justify plunking down that kind of cash for it, although it is absolutely gorgeous, unless I sold my Koaloha...decisions, decisions...so what do you think? Go for the mainland or sell the Koaloha concert and get the Kamaka Pineapple?

So I've been in the market now for several months for a soprano uke. I own 2 concerts, a Koaloha and an Ohana CK-35, but have had the bug for a soprano for a long time and I thought the need for one would pass but it hasn't. I have been waiting for a very long time for the Ohana CK-38 but nobody knows when these will be available. I want solid wood, friction tuners and want mahogany and Mainland has the mahogany pineapples in stock. Looking for an old school, vintage-ish sound. There is a sweet Kamaka pineapple at a local shop, but i cannot justify plunking down that kind of cash for it, although it is absolutely gorgeous, unless I sold my Koaloha...decisions, decisions...so what do you think? Go for the mainland or sell the Koaloha concert and get the Kamaka Pineapple?

If I were you, I'd keep the Ko'Aloha. If you sell it, you will surely regret that decision later on. Keep saving, and get the Kamaka Pineapple when you can afford it without having to sacrifice one of your other cherished instruments.

What model is the Koaloha?

Scooter

Bearing in mind that I never sell my ukuleles (so take my opinion with a bag of salt, if you'd like), I'd go with the Mainland, I've seen nothing but good reviews. In my experience, every time I try out a new scale, it's a bit of a gamble. Not worth selling a sure thing to get a very expensive "maybe".

I like Mainland and own two, But they are in a different class from most of the KoAlohas I have played (don't shoot me Mike). The KoAloha Concert is one of the best concerts size ukes for the price that I have heard or played. Unless you have a bad one, I think selling it would be a really bad decision.

You would better off to save a bit more and get a Kamaka soprano or even a KoAloha soprano.

Get the Mainland for sure. If you like the soprano size then keep the Mainland and save for a second hand Kamaka. Actually that is exactly what I plan on doing. I want both those ukes, and will have them.

Of course, I'm biased toward KoAloha on anything you buy. Lifetime warranty, great product, and great people that make them. But all that being beside the point, concert of any brand to soprano of any brand. In my opinion, sopranos are a much harder instrument to play due to the smaller fretboard. More buzzes, where you accidently hit another string by mistake, etc. I've got fairly small hands for a man too. I thought I was doing really well on the soprano until I got the concert, and my playing went up a couple of levels immediately, simply because I didn't have to scrunch my hands up.

Whatever you do, don't sell your Koaloha concert, you'll regret it! As far as the soprano, see if you can borrow one of quaility from someone, or make a bunch of trips to the music store to play before you buy. I never could properly play my soprano after I started playing my concert, and it has pretty much stayed in it's case for the last 5 years. I just got my tenor, and I enjoy the heck out of playing it, but I still find a little time to pull out the concert. I tried the soprano the other day for quite a while, and I was all fumblety-fingered with it.

Summing it up--Don't buy the soprano unless you know you can do it and yourself right. An unused uke sitting on a shelf is a waste of space and money.

One last question: What has given you the bug for a soprano?

You may have been misinformed about the being an Ohana CK-38 being released in the near future. We have no plans to bring one out this year. It may be something we will consider in the future.

You may have been misinformed about the being an Ohana CK-38 being released in the near future. We have no plans to bring one out this year. It may be something we will consider in the future.

oops! sorry, Ken. typo on my part. I meant SK-38!

Of course, I'm biased toward KoAloha on anything you buy. Lifetime warranty, great product, and great people that make them. But all that being beside the point, concert of any brand to soprano of any brand. In my opinion, sopranos are a much harder instrument to play due to the smaller fretboard. More buzzes, where you accidently hit another string by mistake, etc. I've got fairly small hands for a man too. I thought I was doing really well on the soprano until I got the concert, and my playing went up a couple of levels immediately, simply because I didn't have to scrunch my hands up.

Whatever you do, don't sell your Koaloha concert, you'll regret it! As far as the soprano, see if you can borrow one of quaility from someone, or make a bunch of trips to the music store to play before you buy. I never could properly play my soprano after I started playing my concert, and it has pretty much stayed in it's case for the last 5 years. I just got my tenor, and I enjoy the heck out of playing it, but I still find a little time to pull out the concert. I tried the soprano the other day for quite a while, and I was all fumblety-fingered with it.

Summing it up--Don't buy the soprano unless you know you can do it and yourself right. An unused uke sitting on a shelf is a waste of space and money.

One last question: What has given you the bug for a soprano?

YEah, I agree that the Koaloha concert sounds amazing. The reason i want a soprano is the stuff that I seem to be into playing more lately are songs from the 20's-30's/Smeck stuff, etc, and just think these sound so much better on a mahogany instrument, and just really like the novelty of trying to play something that small and feel it's more traditional. Obviously the Kamaka pineapple is Koa though, so it really doesnt fit the bill, but it is such a nice instrument to look at. I guess what I really want is a solid mahogany soprano that wont break the bank, which is why i really would like an SK-38.

Might you be interested in a trade? I have some arthritis at the base of my thumb that makes playing my soprano difficult and have been seriously considering selling it in favor of a concert.

Mine is a 40's Martin style 1 in excellent condition, completely crack free with only one small blemish on the headstock.

Scooter

Might you be interested in a trade? I have some arthritis at the base of my thumb that makes playing my soprano difficult and have been seriously considering selling it in favor of a concert.

Mine is a 40's Martin style 1 in excellent condition, completely crack free with only one small blemish on the headstock.

Scooter

this is VERY tempting actually, but I don't think i am going to part with the Koaloha, and my only other uke is an Ohana CK-35, which I am sure you are not interested in, but man, would it be nice to have an old Martin!

YEah, I agree that the Koaloha concert sounds amazing. The reason i want a soprano is the stuff that I seem to be into playing more lately are songs from the 20's-30's/Smeck stuff, etc, and just think these sound so much better on a mahogany instrument, and just really like the novelty of trying to play something that small and feel it's more traditional. Obviously the Kamaka pineapple is Koa though, so it really doesnt fit the bill, but it is such a nice instrument to look at. I guess what I really want is a solid mahogany soprano that wont break the bank, which is why i really would like an SK-38.

20's & 30's music sounds great on a banjo-uke :)

Top Bottom