My Uke Hanger

chindog

Reaction score
Here's my ukulele wall hanger. I used a piece of hardwood I found at Home Depot. I think it was oak. I put an ogee bit on my router, and put a decorative edge on it. Then, I stained it with a cherry wood color. I used a forstner bit to drill out the holes on the ends, and capped them with plugs I got at the hardware store. The hangers are tool hangers from Home Depot. They are the 99 cent ones. I had some old spacers in my hardware junk drawer that I used to keep the hangers from poking through the back of the board. I am still planning on doing some sort of decoration between the hangers with some Hawaiian images.

Uke Hanger.jpg

Any particular type of tool hangers? Hell, they may come in different sizes, I wouldn't know. The SO is itching for a storage solution for the herd of mine amassing on the dining room table.

Nice job on the hanger. I have a dedicated music room/office at my place, and I have way too many instruments to keep in cases or on floor racks. I plan on doing dang near the exact same thing you did, once funds are somewhat back where they ought to be. Since my place is trimmed out with Oak, that's what I'll be purchasing.

Dan

Any particular type of tool hangers? Hell, they may come in different sizes, I wouldn't know. The SO is itching for a storage solution for the herd of mine amassing on the dining room table.

I think the technical term for the tool hangers I used is "small". :) There are large ones that are spaced over 2" between the tines. They were too big for a ukulele headstock. These are about 1.5" - 1.75". Both sizes were in the same general area at the hardware store.

Looks nice!

I did something similar. I bought two pieces of pre-finished oak at Menards, a 1x4 and a 1x2. Screwed them together with three countersunk brass screws, and added the tool hangers. I hung it flush on the wall using a z-bar hanger. Total cost about $10.00.

DIY Uke Wall Hanger.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice!

I did something similar. I bought two pieces of pre-finished oak at Menards, a 1x4 and a 1x2. Screwed them together with three countersunk brass screws, and added the tool hangers. I hung it flush on the wall using a z-bar hanger. Total cost about $10.00.

View attachment 27923

Nice work and very practical! I do wood work also. However, I've been hesitant to build a wall rack because the summers here are hot and dry so I felt that the ukes would be better protected staying in the cases. I might design something to hang the cases up though.

Looks nice!

View attachment 27923

That is pretty cool, and looks great at a frugal cost! Good job! Wish I'd have thought about putting something like a 1X2 on top of the mounting board so the ukes wouldn't be hanging so close to the wall.

Nice work and very practical! I do wood work also. However, I've been hesitant to build a wall rack because the summers here are hot and dry so I felt that the ukes would be better protected staying in the cases. I might design something to hang the cases up though.

The music stores around here that leave their guitars and ukes hanging on the wall during the winter, when the humidity is down, have a humidifier near them to keep moisture in the air. Leaving them in the cases would probably be better, though. For in-case humidification, I use the cheap method.... A cellulose sponge in a baggie with holes punched in it. The snack size baggies are about the right size, with just enough sponge cut to fit them.

Yeah, I'm thinking of putting a humidifier in my office, where my instruments are stored. I did place the wall hanger on an interior wall and in a location where no sunshine can hit it. If humidity becomes a problem, I'll put the solid instruments in their cases with humidifiers (I use the Dampit) and maybe hang the laminates. Right now, humidity isn't a problem.
--G

I think the technical term for the tool hangers I used is "small". :) There are large ones that are spaced over 2" between the tines. They were too big for a ukulele headstock. These are about 1.5" - 1.75". Both sizes were in the same general area at the hardware store.

Thanks! I'll show the SO tonight.

Top Bottom