Wcuf

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Had a great 1st day at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival. Workshops by James Hill and Lil' Rev,listened to great performances, rubbed elbows with other Uke enthusiaists and big names, and best of all, got to meet a few UU members. Hope to meet more today (I'll be supporting Smiley & Janet Kai with my Ukulele Source t-shirt :shaka: stop me and say hi)

-Gary

Hey, Gary.

Sorry I couldn't get the WCUF - we had a few other things going on. But I plan on being at the SJUC get together on Tuesday. If you're there, we can meet in person.

-Kurt

Gary,

Nice meeting you. Your ukulele is absolutely stunning. I'm glad the workshops you selected worked out well for you.

Mark

Hey Gary, did I meet you briefly at the festival? I was thinkin' so but I'm not sure. What a great weekend it was in any case.

-Eric

Hi Eric, I don't think we officially introduced ourselves, but we had a few workshops together and chatted briefly. It was nice to "meet" you in any case.

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary,

Nice meeting you. Your ukulele is absolutely stunning. I'm glad the workshops you selected worked out well for you.

Mark

Hey Mark,

It was nice meeting you as well. I'm glad you had a good time in spite of the injuries. Hope you're feeling better soon. Maybe I'll run into you again at a local uke gathering. My in-laws are in SF.

Take care,

-Gary

The WCUF was a great experience for me again this year, in so many ways and on so many levels. And it was great meeting several fellow UUers (nice open mic performance, Eric).

I'd also like to say that the workshops I attended were excellent. My first session was Ken Middleton's Celtic Ukulele, one of Ken's specialties. Ken had written and arranged a piece specifically for the occasion, "Wine Country Reel", a fairly easy, yet lovely tune, and walked us through it, step by step. Next was James Hill's "Sad, Sad Songs". James has a way of dropping these little gems of knowledge that seem so obvious once somebody has verbalized them. And as an extra bonus, Anne Davison joined in on cello! My last session was Aaron Keim's "Fiddle tunes for ukulele". Aaron is a great instructor, keeping the entire class of about 30 people on track, and yet also taking the time to walk around to give personal attention. I thought he had some really great insights into how folk music was developed and transmitted through the generations before the advent of recording technology.

Anyway, I could go on and on, I really can't say enough nice things about these workshops, and the festival in general. I'll probably write some more about Aaron's workshop in another thread later, as I had sort of a musical epiphany later that evening with the clawhammer technique he introduced to us.

Another GREAT festival by Elaine.
The fun was non-stop from the Friday night concert to the post festival jam at Taylor's Roadside.
Always nice to meet some UU'ers too.

Top Bottom