PDA

View Full Version : Memorial for my Father-in-Law

ksiegel
09-11-2011, 06:00 AM
This is part of the memorial service for my Father-in-Law, on September 9, 2011.

The song is prefaced by my remembrance, which was posted in the Dear Diary section of the VIP board on August 28, 2011, the day he passed away. The song starts about 03:00 +/-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nnTX9uiq5c

.......................-Kurt

fitncrafty
09-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Beautiful tribute my friend! Alev ha-sholem (may he rest in peace)

And I meant to say too.. that the second Ariana realized it was you singing, she came running to listen and sing along with you.
See you when we are all back home again, we are all ready to jam again! :)

rasputinsghost
09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
wonderful.

consitter
09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
My father-in-law is not doing very well these days. When he does pass, there is no way I could do what you did. I don't have that kind of strength. I about lost it watching your video when your voice cracked as you were starting to read. I am sorry for your loss.

Scott

TCK
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Head bowed Kurt...that was beautiful

Jnobianchi
09-12-2011, 08:26 AM
That's wonderful, Kurt. My condolences to you and your family.

God bless.

Trinimon
09-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house after. My deepest sympathies to you and the family.

Ronnie Aloha
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
A beautiful tribute Kurt....

PS: Hope the case worked out

mm stan
09-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Aloha Kurt,
What a beautiful memorial and tribute send off song..I am sure he heard that one...they say the spirit stays for a couple days...thank you for sharing...my deepest condolences to your
and his family....may you all find peace and solice during this rough time... Much Alohas, Stan

ksiegel
09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
PS: Hope the case worked out

Indeed it has. I've got a microfiber cloth under the the back,one under the headstock, and one on top of the strings. All are folded, and nothing moves in the case.

Thank you again for your suggestion, Ronnie.

.. -Kurt

ksiegel
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Singing the Garden Song was the only thing that kept me from breaking down - I simply remembered my father-in-law working in his garden.

On the table, with the urn, we had a triple cornucopia - one filled with veggies, one with fruit, and one with flowers -only the flowers weren't from the garden. I also leaned his gardening hat against the urn. On the other side was his Masonic Apron, and some more flowers.

Everyone who knew him told me the song was fitting. Now, e very time I play Garden Song, I see my father-in-law, in that hat.

I played it, and ran everyone through the song last night at the San Jose Ukulele Club last night. IT was still fun, and I just kept seeing my father-in-law while I sang. In my mind, he had a great big grin on his face, and a freshly-picked Asian pear in this hand. Exactly the way I choose to remember him.

-Kurt