PDA

View Full Version : Playing ukes on airplanes

garyg
09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Just returned from a business trip to Seattle and as usual I brought a uke along. On the return trip I was in the last row of the plane so I took out the uke and did some practice playing. Had a few compliments but worried a bit about negative responses. The sound was mostly overpowered by the engine noise. Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?

uke4life
09-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Thought about it, but never did...Taking out a tenor seems a bit intrusive to my neighbor...But I saw an advertisement somewhere on UU for those super small ukes...Thought about grabbing one of those and maybe just noodle with that on a plane...

garyg
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Guess I should have mentioned that I play a soprano and it was my A'nuenue 1879 which is a smaller soprano. The flight attendants were quite complimentary and asked all about it.

foxfair
09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I carried my concert but didn't take my uke out last week, I was sitting in the middle and the flight was pretty short, no chance to play at all. Maybe next time i'll try it

Tudorp
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Actually, the Ohana SK-21 Sopranino would be perfect for that. I would play on a plane in a heartbeat, but that said, if there were anyone that got annoyed, even if they are jerks, ya should respect that and put it away in a closed enviornment like that.. But I would bet to guess that most would think it was cool... I play mine at my daughter's sporting events, and everyone loves it when I bring ukes. I ussally bring several and pass them out to those who want to try and join in. The few times I haven't brought one, I was always asked where they were, and why didn't I bring em.. lol

itsme
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
If you were in the last row with no neighbors, then maybe. But I wouldn't want to impose upon my seatmates in the same row.

This might be an awesome time for one of those new Peanuts where you can plug it into your headphones and not disturb those around you. :)

SuzukHammer
09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I played my Eleuke on a plane to an international destination. Its great for keeping very quiet and finger practicing.

I haven't played an acoustic because I try to respect the people around me. I've joked about playing harmonica for the people; but, I would not do that. I've played harmonica and acoustic ukulele in airports - I usually try to find a secluded space to get practice in.

If the plane was not full and there was space in the back, I would ask the people closest if I could play before I started.

Jnobianchi
09-11-2011, 04:03 PM
At the request of my seatmates and the flight attendant, I played one of my banjo ukes on a plane back in June just so they could hear what it sounded like. I played quietly and it was over quickly.

Otherwise, I expect I would have been added to the no-fly list.

haolejohn
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I always play. Of course, I always flied with my wife and we always got one of those emergency exits so we have never had anyone but us to deal with. I seem to have perfected that quiet strum from a tenor using just mythumbs. I also got an ovation on a flight once to Hawai'i (which was the last time I flew).

SuzukHammer
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I always play. Of course, I always flied with my wife and we always got one of those emergency exits so we have never had anyone but us to deal with. I seem to have perfected that quiet strum from a tenor using just mythumbs. I also got an ovation on a flight once to Hawai'i (which was the last time I flew).

An ovation?? That woulda been cool. Once, I was waiting for my wife to finish her massage and I was out practicing my harmonica on the street in front of the spa and some kid gave me 50 cents. I laughed and gave him one of those $5 harmonicas I give to kids. His brother came back with another 50 cents and asked for another harmonica. So, I lost money on the deal. I would have taken an ovation instead.

Harold O.
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I always travel with a ukulele. Never played onboard. But while sitting in the staging area in Minneapolis, I brought it out and started strumming softly for myself and a friend. No one around complained. As we boarded the flight, one of the attendants saw the uke case and said, "So it was you that entertained us in the waiting area!" I noticed that during the flight, we had plenty of whatever we needed.

fordie55
09-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I usually travel with one also all around Asia. Never thought of pulling it out on the airplane. But thinking about it now it would drown out the hacking, coughing, and spitting. Anyone who has been on a Chinese airline knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Do get comments from the flight attendants though....., my colleagues have asked me if I have a spare case for their laundry..LOL

pulelehua
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I always fly with my Kala, but also always fly with my two small children. I think I would play for about 2 minutes, then one of them would fall on me, and it would be one flat Kala. :)

OldePhart
09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I'd be really hesitant about playing in an airplane unless I was playing a solid-body uke through headphones and even then only if the seat next to me was empty. Doing anything that makes noticeable "noise" on a crowded flight where people can't get away is just downright rude - no matter how accomplished you are as a player. I put doing that right up there with the obliviots who insist on yammering on the phone in public places where audiences are "captive."

Back in the mid nineties I had a flight from Milwaukie (sp?) back home to DFW. I'd been sitting in the gate area waiting for this flight - the area was packed and there were no other seats so I was basically stuck a few seats away from a couple that was arguing loudly and incessantly about family matters (whether some other relative was worth the air he breathed). The quarrel went on, and on, and ON, AND ON. We boarded the plane and, yep, guess who was seated right behind me. They never even stopped arguing all the way down the jetway and to the seats as we boarded the flight. I was contemplating whether I could endure a three-hour flight sitting in front of these obliviots without comitting homicide when the flight attendant announced that the flight was overbooked and they were asking for volunteers willing to spend the night and catch the first flight out the next morning. They ended up with more volunteers than were needed - fortunately, I was the first and had not only raised my hand, I'd jumped out of my seat, grabbed my carry on, and headed for the front of the plane.

When you're in any situation where people can't escape your presence, the only courteous thing to do is make your presence as unnoticeable as possible.

Just my $0.02,

John

Trinimon
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Well said John. While we're all uke lovers we find it entertaining but tastes varies so much that others may find the plinking rather annoying. For them, it would be like that couple who keeps yapping behind you in the cinema for 2hrs. With nowhere to run, a long flight, tired and jet lagged make for short fuses. Probably the best time to respect your fellow passengers' downtime.

haolejohn
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM
An ovation?? That woulda been cool. Once, I was waiting for my wife to finish her massage and I was out practicing my harmonica on the street in front of the spa and some kid gave me 50 cents. I laughed and gave him one of those $5 harmonicas I give to kids. His brother came back with another 50 cents and asked for another harmonica. So, I lost money on the deal. I would have taken an ovation instead.

LOL!! That is too funny. I was shocked when the people started clapping. Then I was bombarded with request...I knew no other songs at that time.

itsme
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
When you're in any situation where people can't escape your presence, the only courteous thing to do is make your presence as unnoticeable as possible.
I couldn't agree more. Many people with personal listening devices have their music so loud it still intrudes beyond their earpods/phones/whatever.

Frankly, for that arguing couple, I think would have turned around and just told them to STFU. ;)

The other big PITA on planes, though, is the "friendly" neighbor who wants to chat thru the whole flight. Please respect my space if I'm trying to read a book or am intent on a crossword puzzle.

Pueo
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I almost always have an ukulele when I fly. Most people comment or joke if I am going to play for them but I usually do not, out of respect for everyone else. I have played before takeoff or after landing though when neighbors (and even a flight attendant once) have asked me to, but only briefly.

I do play in the gate waiting areas between flights or when waiting to board. I try to go off and find an area where I will not disturb anyone else. I have on occasion seen people move closer though!

Trinimon
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Would be cool to have an impromptu uke jam session at an airport while waiting for a flight (in a quiet corner mind you). lol

beeploop
09-12-2011, 06:51 PM
check this video. a guy played the uke and flight attendants sang for bruno mars while on the airplane. i think this was recorded when bruno mars had a concert in the philippines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gP08u1_u1E

joeybug
09-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Would be cool to have an impromptu uke jam session at an airport while waiting for a flight (in a quiet corner mind you). lol

When my trip to the USA was still on, I fully planned to meet some UU'ers between flights and have a mini jam in the airport!

SuzukHammer
09-13-2011, 03:05 AM
check this video. a guy played the uke and flight attendants sang for bruno mars while on the airplane. i think this was recorded when bruno mars had a concert in the philippines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gP08u1_u1E

I enjoyed that link. Thanks.

garyg
09-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Interesting responses, and I certainly don't advocate being rude or not asking other folks sitting next to you. My row was adjacent to the lavatories with no one else in it. I also think that it's quite possible to quietly strum under the ambient noise of the plane, and I also think that there's quite a difference between arguing, talking loudly whether on a cell phone or not and quietly playing a musical instrument. Music is a great ice breaker for one but those others are not. Maybe I was trying to drown out the flight attendants conversation about their various cervical biopsies which was going on in the galley just behind me <g>. As someone who flies every other month or more frequently, I understand the privacy/non-disturbance issues completely, but I do think that if there are folks in the same or adjacent row a simple request might generate a positive response. Of course I'm not talking about pulling out the uke during the sleep time on a transoceanic or a red-eye, just those 2-4 hr flights where you need to kill some time. I found it really enjoyable as did the folks around me and flight attendant. Just curious if anyone else had tried this.

hoosierhiver
09-13-2011, 04:31 AM
I usually travel with one also all around Asia. Never thought of pulling it out on the airplane. But thinking about it now it would drown out the hacking, coughing, and spitting. Anyone who has been on a Chinese airline knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Do get comments from the flight attendants though....., my colleagues have asked me if I have a spare case for their laundry..LOL

Ha ha, I know exactly what you are talking about, one of those flights where they have to tell people they can't lay down and take a nap in the aisles.

I've had flight attendants tease me about playing, I think they get pretty bored and enjoy an intersting customer.

Kanaka916
09-13-2011, 05:05 AM
With all the new rules and stuff, I would imagine it would be more of a PITA. I remember awhile back, flying home from Germany, I met a couple of local guys on the last leg of my trip (LA to HNL). We kinda converged towards the rear and they let us Kanikapila for about 20 minutes with 3 ukes and 1 guitar. The attendants were beaming, not enough room to do a Hula. Ahh, da good ol days.

rem50
09-13-2011, 05:41 AM
I think if I ever played on a flight my wife might ask for a new seat assignment! :)

Derry
09-13-2011, 08:45 AM
was thinking about taking my tenor (with case) to Florida next year on our vacation,, don't know if I would have the stones to pull it out of the overhead and start strumming though,,

now I know it will be accompanying me,,:)

Derry

Sabantien
10-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Can't say I'd ever whip my uke out on a plane.

Can't say I'd enjoy it if another passenger did either. Flights are incredibly uncomfortable at the best of times and it would just be another annoyance. Mind you, between the screaming babies, annoyingly loud conversations and people snoring, I guess what's one more noise.

That said, I always fly with noise cancelling earphones and the volume turned way up on my music.

Gosh, I sound so cranky, but flying makes me cranky.

Rllink
10-20-2014, 03:14 AM
Can't say I'd ever whip my uke out on a plane.

Can't say I'd enjoy it if another passenger did either. Flights are incredibly uncomfortable at the best of times and it would just be another annoyance. Mind you, between the screaming babies, annoyingly loud conversations and people snoring, I guess what's one more noise.

That said, I always fly with noise cancelling earphones and the volume turned way up on my music.

Gosh, I sound so cranky, but flying makes me cranky.I agree, the seating in airplanes is tight as it is, even though I love the ukulele, I wouldn't haul one out and start playing it. As is is, I bump elbows with the person seated next to me, I can't imagine them pulling out a uke and starting to strum it. Nope, you might find someone who thinks it is cool, but I'm guessing most just want to get through the flight with as little discomfort as possible. I would never do it though, because I never carry my uke on board. I throw it in my suitcase and check it.

coolkayaker1
10-20-2014, 03:23 AM
Agree with the last couple of posts, best to avoid conflict on crowded flights; just ram my Seat Defender into the seat in front on me, bang my own seat into full recline mode, and smoke my vapor e-cigarette in peace.

stevepetergal
10-20-2014, 03:48 AM
I play in public when it's been prearranged. The exception is if I've been implored to do so, (which actually happened in an airport, once). And I mean implored. It's hard to convince me, not because I'm afraid. I just think it's rude to do it.

I wouldn't play on an airplane because I always try to put myself in the next person's shoes. I surely don't want the guy next to me forcing his/her music on me. I'm even uncomfortable if I have to complain about something like this. If it happens in the park, or the coffee shop, I can just leave. On the plane, I'm stuck with either suffering through listening to the Elvis impersonator two rows back or possibly hurting his feelings (the latter makes me very uncomfortable). I'll read my book and find time to play later.

stevepetergal
10-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Once, I was waiting for my wife to finish her massage and I was out practicing my harmonica on the street in front of the spa and some kid gave me 50 cents.

I played on a corner once and a kid gave me a black eye. (probably not the same kid)

stevepetergal
10-20-2014, 03:57 AM
I prefer to practice sharp-shooting on an airplane. Talk about stress-relief!

stevepetergal
10-20-2014, 04:02 AM
I think if I ever played on a flight my wife might ask for a new seat assignment! :)

My wife would demand a parachute!

coolkayaker1
10-20-2014, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't play on an airplane because I always try to put myself in the next person's shoes. If it happens in the park, or the coffee shop, I can just leave. On the plane, I'm stuck with either suffering through listening to the Elvis impersonator two rows back or possibly hurting his feelings (the latter makes me very uncomfortable). I'll read my book and find time to play later.

Agree, wholeheartedly. Seems fewer and fewer people think about anyone but themselves these days. But, as you say, Steve, we all should.

Another way to look at it: what if everyone did it? What if everyone on the entire plane got out their preferred instruments and noodled quietly? A disaster. The "what if everyone" and "in another's shoes" process is so seldom considered these days.

I think it's because people drink too much cola.

stevepetergal
10-20-2014, 04:06 AM
What if everyone on the entire plane got out their preferred instruments and noodled quietly? A disaster.

Hey!! Maybe that's what happened to the Malaysian Airliner.

Xtradust
10-20-2014, 04:58 AM
I agree with coolkayaker1 about "what if everyone did it?"

But, if everyone played their uke on a commercial flight.......they'd make a special section for us and there'd be a sheet music on the back of the seat. :)

Ukulele Eddie
10-20-2014, 05:04 AM
I'm traveling with my Collings as I write this. Heading to Orlando for a trade show for a client (National Pest Management PestWorld - woohoo!). I wouldn't dream of taking it out and playing. I don't think it's appropriate, no more than people playing their music without headphones. Now, if you're Jake and people in first class want a free concert, that's entirely different. ;-)

But it wouldn't be nearly as offensive as the time the gal next to me starting clipping her toenails. They were literally shooting onto me. I promptly removed myself from my seat to go stretch my legs.

SteveZ
10-20-2014, 06:05 AM
I agree with coolkayaker1 about "what if everyone did it?"

But, if everyone played their uke on a commercial flight.......they'd make a special section for us and there'd be a sheet music on the back of the seat. :)

Keep that thought the next time you see a dozen or more folk with banjos or mandolins boarding your flight. I play both and there's darned little ways to play them "delicately" or "quietly." Just the potential of enduring a public jam on an aircraft would make me drive or take the train.

Redeyejedi
10-20-2014, 06:18 PM
i'm on the fence on this one; not so much whether i'd play, cause i'm not nearly versed enough to rock out performances. for me, among all the noise on a plane, i think i'd find the soothing sound of ukulele to be most welcoming; much more pleasant than crying babies, quarreling sibs or their ornery parentals, the uh- uhs of the indecisive moron who can't make a beverage choice even though he's had 20min to decide, or the loud obnoxious wannabe adventurerer/supersalesman who has yet to hit the trail or make a sale.....yeah, i say break that beyotch out and help to break the monotony for a few minute.
guess, it's just been my luck and the flights i'm on. :(

hammer40
10-20-2014, 07:56 PM
I think it would be extremely rude and disrespectful to all the other passengers. It's a captive audience, with assigned seats, you can't move to get away from whatever the distraction may be. Also keep in mind that not every uker that may start to play...actually can. Haven't we learned anything about public behavior since the introduction of the cell phone?

hammer40
10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes: time for revenge.

Hmmm...It is rather tempting at that. But only if I can stand/sit next to the cell phone azzhat and play my stunning rendition of "Tiny Bubbles".

coolkayaker1
10-20-2014, 10:42 PM
To flight attendant: "Miss. Miss, could you please tell that vile man two rows back to put his toy guitar away before I shove it up his keester and rotate it for good measure. Thanks. Oh, and any chance for another packet of nuts?"

stevepetergal
10-21-2014, 02:48 AM
As I said before, I wouldn't play my ukulele on an airplane. But, perhaps my sousaphone....

coolkayaker1
10-21-2014, 02:55 AM
As I said before, I wouldn't play my ukulele on an airplane. But, perhaps my sousaphone....

As long as you do it respectfully. Little melodical toots.

Rllink
10-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Well, it isn't just the playing of the ukulele, it is the music. Some people like ukulele music, some don't. It is no different than if someone pulled out their favorite hip hop playlist and decided to share it with the whole plane.

VegasGeorge
10-21-2014, 03:32 AM
When I bought my Kamaka 8 string years ago, I played it on the flight home from Hawaii. I was in coach, and you may know how crowded that can be. I had to hold it almost vertical, and my friends, who were sitting several rows back, were laughing at me with my headstock sticking up in the air. But, I soldiered on! I was being very quiet with it, and I don't think any one objected to it. A little Uke sound is nothing compared to a couple of screaming toddlers!

Rllink
10-21-2014, 04:19 AM
When I bought my Kamaka 8 string years ago, I played it on the flight home from Hawaii. I was in coach, and you may know how crowded that can be. I had to hold it almost vertical, and my friends, who were sitting several rows back, were laughing at me with my headstock sticking up in the air. But, I soldiered on! I was being very quiet with it, and I don't think any one objected to it. A little Uke sound is nothing compared to a couple of screaming toddlers!Shoot yeah, might as well add to it, what the heck.;)

Dan Uke
10-21-2014, 05:57 AM
When I bought my Kamaka 8 string years ago, I played it on the flight home from Hawaii. I was in coach, and you may know how crowded that can be. I had to hold it almost vertical, and my friends, who were sitting several rows back, were laughing at me with my headstock sticking up in the air. But, I soldiered on! I was being very quiet with it, and I don't think any one objected to it. A little Uke sound is nothing compared to a couple of screaming toddlers!

Nice, we have to compare ourselves to toddlers now? I've screamed and cried to get what I want with my wife...doesn't work and my kids don't get what they want from her either.

IamNoMan
10-21-2014, 06:07 AM
I have not yet had the opportunity to play ukulele on an air flight. One day I will. There is no way I will ever transport a stringed instrument in the unpressurized cargo hold again. A uke is the epitome of carry-on luggage. I play in all manner of unconventional environments and have never had anyone complain or ask me to stop. I would certainly comply.

Some years ago I was in Rhodes on a friday night. I had just purchased a bouzouki and was Transporting it back to Athens on the plane. The plane was full of Greeks going home to Athens for the weekend. I didn't play my bouzouki that night for two reasons.
1. I hadn't a clue how to play the bouzouki.
2. Several of the passengers had boarded the plane with cages of chickens. Live chickens! Cell phones are a definite problem. Babies, well you can't put blame on babies. But Chickens? If you want to play your uke on an airplane, I see no reason not to. If people object they'll tell you so and you can stop.

mikelz777
10-21-2014, 12:02 PM
It's unconscionable to put people in that situation. Let me egg your house; when you've had enough, you can tell me to stop.

+100, I couldn't possibly agree more. I love the ukulele but for someone to have the gall to take it out and subject fellow passengers to playing it on an airplane is unfathomable to me. It's horribly rude and inconsiderate. Even the most ardent of ukulele enthusiasts should have the wherewithal to not need to play for the length of a flight whether domestic or international.

janeray1940
10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
This whole discussion is reminding me of something I've been having an issue with lately on the property where I live: people speaking loudly on cell phones in common areas, and subjecting others to their conversations.

Just because something is small and portable and can be used just about anywhere doesn't mean it's cool to do so.

(That being said - I'd likely be bothered less by the ukulele on the plane than I am by my foul-mouthed cell-phone-shouting neighbors, but the bottom line is that when someone is "held captive," be it in their home or a public space like a plane or doctor's waiting room or whatever, at the very minimum ask those around you if your choice of noise-maker will bother them. If they said yes, then take it elsewhere.)

CeeJay
10-21-2014, 12:48 PM
This whole discussion is reminding me of something I've been having an issue with lately on the property where I live: people speaking loudly on cell phones in common areas, and subjecting others to their conversations.

Just because something is small and portable and can be used just about anywhere doesn't mean it's cool to do so.

(That being said - I'd likely be bothered less by the ukulele on the plane than I am by my foul-mouthed cell-phone-shouting neighbors, but the bottom line is that when someone is "held captive," be it in their home or a public space like a plane or doctor's waiting room or whatever, at the very minimum ask those around you if your choice of noise-maker will bother them. If they said yes, then take it elsewhere.)

This , of course is the problem with "Cell" phones ("Mobiles" to us Brits) in common areas....if they were in exclusive or posh areas you would get a much better class of irritation............

Ma'am my taxi is waiting and I will be out of this vicinity shortly....

Jarvs...

PereBourik
10-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Not on a plane, but in the waiting area when our plane was running late. Got some props and thanks for it. I wasn't playing too loud. I was just working on some easy songs.

Sporin
10-22-2014, 12:41 AM
+100, I couldn't possibly agree more. I love the ukulele but for someone to have the gall to take it out and subject fellow passengers to playing it on an airplane is unfathomable to me. It's horribly rude and inconsiderate. Even the most ardent of ukulele enthusiasts should have the wherewithal to not need to play for the length of a flight whether domestic or international.

Yeah, I can't imagine doing this, it's super presumptuous to think anyone wants to listen to some stranger pluck away on their ukulele during a flight.

SteveZ
10-22-2014, 02:45 AM
If folk think playing a uke on an airplane is okay, then what about a banjo, or an accordion, or a harmonica, or bagpipes? Where is the "no way" line and why?

coolkayaker1
10-22-2014, 05:12 AM
It's unconscionable to put people in that situation. Let me egg your house; when you've had enough, you can tell me to stop.

agree absolutely

coolkayaker1
10-22-2014, 05:17 AM
the bottom line is that when someone is "held captive," be it in their home or a public space like a plane or doctor's waiting room or whatever, at the very minimum ask those around you if your choice of noise-maker will bother them. If they said yes, then take it elsewhere.)

True JR40, but the sad reality is this: "Yes, it would bother me," is followed by anger, venom and prickled hairs from the person wanting to invade the aural space, i.e. "the offender". Sort of like if one of the loud phone users in your place asked you, "Hey this bothering you?" and you answered, "Yes." They'd never speak to you or look you in the eye again (and the telephone use would continue in a day or so). That's the sad irony of today's society. :(

niwenomian
10-22-2014, 06:53 AM
I agree with those who've suggested that it is presumptuous to play on a plane. I would not do it.

I acknowledge the reasoning behind the innocuousness of the ukulele, that it is less disturbing than some other things mentioned, however, I think all of this is trumped by basic human consideration.

For me, it would be different in an airport terminal or other place, where those who chose to could move away, while those who were interested could move closer. Those around you on the plane are captive and cannot make that choice. You are making it for them. It doesn't matter if you're asked, implored, begged etc.

I also do not think that the captive audience should be expected to opt out if they object. This makes them responsible for taking something away from someone else who may want to hear it. In the airport terminal example, they could simply walk away and leave others to enjoy the music, without having to feel the social pressure of being a jerk for complaining and shutting the whole thing down.

Nick

The Big Kahuna
10-22-2014, 07:13 AM
You pull out a uke on my flight, you're walking the rest of the way.

The Big Kahuna
10-22-2014, 07:17 AM
I also intend learning Inuit Throat Singing, for those occasions where I'm in a departure lounge and I need to drown out a ukulele or a baby.

aquadan
10-22-2014, 07:37 AM
We've paid hundreds of dollars to lose almost all human dignity and personal space and you want to take what little we have left? This will not stand. This aggression will not stand, man.

janeray1940
10-22-2014, 08:58 AM
True JR40, but the sad reality is this: "Yes, it would bother me," is followed by anger, venom and prickled hairs from the person wanting to invade the aural space, i.e. "the offender". Sort of like if one of the loud phone users in your place asked you, "Hey this bothering you?" and you answered, "Yes." They'd never speak to you or look you in the eye again (and the telephone use would continue in a day or so). That's the sad irony of today's society. :(

Oh man, if my neighbors were even *that* civilized about it I'd be thrilled. They're all about anger, venom and prickled hairs, and (old lady soapbox time) this seems to be the norm these days from the generation raised on "personal entertainment devices" - use them any time, any place, and to heck with everybody else!

So, yeah. You're right, CK1.

stevepetergal
10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Introspection alert!
I just realised that I wouldn't want to hear some dope playing the ukulele on an airplane. And I LOVE the ukulele!

UkerDanno
10-23-2014, 04:18 AM
playing uke on a plane is just as bad of an idea as allowing cell phone use on an airplane! could you imagine...

coolkayaker1
10-23-2014, 04:27 AM
Oh man, if my neighbors were even *that* civilized about it I'd be thrilled. They're all about anger, venom and prickled hairs, and (old lady soapbox time) this seems to be the norm these days from the generation raised on "personal entertainment devices" - use them any time, any place, and to heck with everybody else!

So, yeah. You're right, CK1.

Oh, man, that's raw, JR40. Those neighbors. It's easy to say, "M, just move,", but I know you live in a horrifically expensive part of the country and finding affordable digs is challenging.

Don't you work online mostly? Must you live in CA? Come out here to the skyscrapers and corn. The cost of living is cheap, and although we have no ocean, the waving breeze through the cornstalks suggests that one could just dive in for a refreshing splash!

wickedwahine11
10-23-2014, 04:28 AM
On my recent flight from Boston a middle aged lady sat watching comedy videos on her phone the entire flight -- with no headphones. Some people don't give a damn about anybody but themselves. In truth the flight was from hell anyway as her friend spilled her orange juice all over me and kept asking for me to get stuff for them out of their overhead compartment. 3/3 seating on 6 hour flights is inhumane torture.

Back to the general question, if you could even manage to play a uke in the current seating configurations (with someone reclining in your lap, people spilling over onto your seat, and kids kicking the back of your seat) on planes I'd be impressed. I'd be annoyed but impressed.

If nothing else, playing it might land you on the Passenger Shaming page -- which I am astounded at the sheer number of bare feet placed on people's armrests and trays I find on that page!

coolkayaker1
10-23-2014, 04:59 AM
On my recent flight from Boston a middle aged lady sat watching comedy videos on her phone the entire flight -- with no headphones.

Oh, my goodness. Wouldn't the flight attendant, unprompted by other passengers, ask the person to don headphones?

I think I would have said something; you are kind to put up with it, esp. as she was right next to you, Staci.

"I'd like to ask you politely to please use headphones--use mine if you must--because I have a splitting migraine and if my head explodes clean off my shoulders, like a party balloon against a popcorn ceiling, there's going to be a nasty spray of hemoglobin right in your direction, I'm afraid."

janeray1940
10-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Oh, man, that's raw, JR40. Those neighbors. It's easy to say, "M, just move,", but I know you live in a horrifically expensive part of the country and finding affordable digs is challenging.

Don't you work online mostly? Must you live in CA? Come out here to the skyscrapers and corn. The cost of living is cheap, and although we have no ocean, the waving breeze through the cornstalks suggests that one could just dive in for a refreshing splash!

But there's no ocean! The only time I lived far from the ocean - as in, about 30 miles inland (which can be three hours in SoCal traffic) - I was miserably depressed and didn't even know why. I don't see how people do it, just like I don't see how people can live where there is snow. But the thing with bad neighbors is this: the young ones always move eventually; they have job transfers or start families or whatever, so it's just a matter of time.

Not to mention that I'm in a good situation for my own "noise" - I only have one common wall (with my landlord, who claims to LOVE my uke playing, regardless of time of day) and nobody to complain about my music being too loud.

Some people don't give a damn about anybody but themselves.

And there you have it.

stevepetergal
10-23-2014, 05:54 AM
I love the ocean. I'm afraid of sharks. Corn is tasty. My sugar is too high. I'm hungry. I'm overweight. Now I'm angry. Turn off that damnable music!!!!

wickedwahine11
10-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Oh, my goodness. Wouldn't the flight attendant, unprompted by other passengers, ask the person to don headphones?

I think I would have said something; you are kind to put up with it, esp. as she was right next to you, Staci.

"I'd like to ask you politely to please use headphones--use mine if you must--because I have a splitting migraine and if my head explodes clean off my shoulders, like a party balloon against a popcorn ceiling, there's going to be a nasty spray of hemoglobin right in your direction, I'm afraid."

Yeah, you would think so, but this was American Airlines -- the least friendly skies. I feel for flight attendants, they have a thankless job. But it seems like when they get mean and burned out they all transfer to American. I much prefer the aloha from Hawaiian and the humor and pleasant nature of Southwest flight attendants.

Freeda
10-23-2014, 06:01 AM
Tried a peanut once, but the headphones dont go loud enough to drown out the ambient noise.

sukie
10-23-2014, 06:37 AM
To just get out an ukulele and start playing seems a bit too presumptuous to me. I would never.

garyg
10-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Wow, I started this thread with an innocuous inquiry and despite clarification about there being no one in my or other nearby rows on the plane and the engine drowning out the noise even two rows away. it's descended into anyone who does this is a) rude, b) insensitive to the needs of others, c) presumptuous, etc. Insert "head-shaking" emoticon here. Interestingly, I've been on 20+ flights since 2011 and never was one sufficiently uncrowded to warrant taking out the uke. I do find an empty corner of every airport and practice while I'm waiting for a flight, and will continue to do this until they ban bluetooth headsets and laptop movies without headphones. How about folks here jumping to a positive conclusion here, rather than negative ones. Sheesh, well I'll see you again in two years or more. g2

sukie
10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
But....but....but.....you asked.

Please don't get upset that not everyone seems to agree with you.

Personally, no, I wouldn't do it. I am not that good that I think I should subject people to my playing. Maybe if I played and sang it would be different. But I fingerpick and the list of songs I know off-book is quite small. Unless I travel to an ukulele festival I don't even take an ukulele along with me.

Down Up Dick
10-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I've only flown once since I retired from the Air Force. I'm a Californian, and we drive--millions of us! But I flew to Nebraska to attend a family funeral. The flight was awful! The seats were uncomfortable, kids were crying. My wife and I were unable to sit together, and, on the way back, a huge lady was sitting next to me and eating a huge, smelly sandwich. Someone playing a ukulele near me would have made me want to bail out. I vowed after that flight that I would only fly first class if I ever flew at all.

Space is limited on planes so they can make more money, and some passengers are very inconsiderate. That adds up to a lot of annoyance. Someone playing a musical instrument, even a little harmonica, would only add up to the cacophony.

Quiet! Look out the window. Read a book. Go to sleep (quietly). :old:

garyg
10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=sukie;1594035]But....but....but.....you asked.

Please don't get upset that not everyone seems to agree with you.]

Really... did I ask "would you be rude to the people around you"? or "would you play your ukulele in a completely insensitive and presumptuous manner" I think not. Frankly I have a thick skin which comes from teaching large classes at a major university so I'm not upset, just weary of threads that get transmogrified into whatever ppls pet peeves are rather than the OP. Too many folks here don't take the time to ask "is this what you meant" when they can jump to their own negative interpretation. Which is why I no longer participate, or won't after this <g>.

mikelz777
10-23-2014, 09:58 AM
This is your original post. I hope that I'm framing my response in a manner that doesn't give the impression that I've transmogrified it into my own pet peeve.

Just returned from a business trip to Seattle and as usual I brought a uke along. On the return trip I was in the last row of the plane so I took out the uke and did some practice playing. Had a few compliments but worried a bit about negative responses. The sound was mostly overpowered by the engine noise. Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?

-No, I've never played my uke on a plane. I wouldn't have the gall to even consider doing such a thing (ever) because I think it would be rude and inconsiderate to the others on the plane. I'm capable of withholding my desire to play a uke for the duration of a flight and would choose to pass the time in a way that does not impose upon others. (Reading, talking quietly, doing a crossword puzzle, etc.)

-You were right to worry a bit about negative responses. (being considerate to others) Just because someone doesn't say something doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't bothered or annoyed. I love the uke but I would have been annoyed and I don't know that I would have had the nerve to tell you so were I on the flight and I would resent having been put in the position that I would have to debate myself over whether I should do it or not.

-I don't know that the sound was as "mostly overpowered" by engine noise as you think. I can hear people talking more than two rows away. The higher treble sound of a ukulele is going to carry farther and louder than what you are conveying.

-I think it's wonderful that you take a uke with you on your business trips but when you get to your hotel, do you play it to your hearts content in the privacy of your room or would you go play it in the lobby? You'd play it in your room because you'd want to be considerate of others.

-Re: your last post, it's not an issue of "playing the ukulele in a completely insensitive and presumptuous manner". It's a matter of choosing to play the uke at all in this situation.

-When you ask a general populace if they have (or would) do something you have to count on people expressing opinions that are in opposition to you own and they wouldn't be going off topic by saying so. In my opinion, choosing to play a ukulele on an airplane is presumptuous, rude and inconsiderate and I would never do it. I'm pretty certain there are those out there who would not agree with me and they are free to express that.

Sporin
10-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Really... did I ask "would you be rude to the people around you"? or "would you play your ukulele in a completely insensitive and presumptuous manner" I think not. Frankly I have a thick skin which comes from teaching large classes at a major university so I'm not upset, just weary of threads that get transmogrified into whatever ppls pet peeves are rather than the OP. Too many folks here don't take the time to ask "is this what you meant" when they can jump to their own negative interpretation. Which is why I no longer participate, or won't after this <g>.

People are discussing the general topic you brought up, and as you've seen, most would find this action to be quite rude and presumptuous. Those are the responses to the topic you brought up. if you choose to take them personally, then that is up to you. This is generally a very friendly place, I don't think I've seen anyone say anything pointedly aimed at you and you alone. People are discussing the topic you brought up ("Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?") and then the very natural extension of "why" they answered the way they did.

-Re: your last post, it's not an issue of "playing the ukulele in a completely insensitive and presumptuous manner". It's a matter of choosing to play the uke at all in this situation.

-When you ask a general populace if they have (or would) do something you have to count on people expressing opinions that are in opposition to you own and they wouldn't be going off topic by saying so. In my opinion, choosing to play a ukulele on an airplane is presumptuous, rude and inconsiderate and I would never do it. I'm pretty certain there are those out there who would not agree with me and they are free to express that.

I agree with this /\/\/\

All meant in the Aloha spirit. :shaka:

acmespaceship
10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Here is my general rule of thumb: Never play to a captive audience. I don't know if this has entirely prevented me from becoming a public nuisance, but it can only help.

The Big Kahuna
10-23-2014, 11:50 AM
In the spirit of fairness, I went back and carefully re-read the OP. The only part I could find that seemed to request a response was:

Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?

So, if I might be allowed to paraphrase every response so far, in such a way that the original poster may feel as though his question has been answered in the way that he wished, without any extraneous and unwelcome comments:

"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"

You know, I kinda prefer the way the thread actually turned out.

Rllink
10-23-2014, 11:50 AM
My general rule of thumb, don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer.

coolkayaker1
10-23-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry, Gary. I had no idea. Sorry.

bunnyf
10-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I do play in public on occasion, like at the beach, park or pool. If all is quiet around me, I would not want to disturb other people's tranquility with my playing. If there is, however, a certain amount of background noise and I can position myself away from others, I will play quietly. I think my playing is subdued and unobtrusive but I could perhaps have annoyed some folk. I sure hope not. If I'm surrounded by others making noise, I am not as concerned about my little uke noise. But as someone else said, I would not want to annoy a captive audience, so playing on a plane would be out of the question. I think it's a time when quiet is most definitely in order. It's true that folks can be noisy on planes (loud talkers, children, and such) but I would not add to the din. Most folks want quiet on the plane, maybe a chance to sleep, rest, read, get some work done. I love the uke, but don't want to hear it on the plane. I will be flying out to Cali in two days and am bringing my uke. I won't be playing on the flight even if it's empty (though, for me, it would be a lovely way to pass the time). I will definitely be playing in the airport though, to kill time waiting for my flight and during a layover (probably to my husband's chagrin). I will try very hard though to be one of the less annoying folks at the airport.

itsme
10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
I won't be playing on the flight even if it's empty...
These days there are no empty flights. They've reduced flights to make sure they can pack you in like sardines.

The Big Kahuna
10-23-2014, 07:21 PM
http://www.thebigkahuna.co.uk/ukesonaplane.jpg

Down Up Dick
10-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Great picture, Big Kahuna. Really fits the thread. Great movie too. :old:

garyg
10-24-2014, 04:23 AM
Don't worry Steve, it just cements what we've spoken about off board. Big Kahuna's response really was apt. I didn't ask for a bunch of evaluations of "what type of person would do this" simple no's would have sufficed without a bunch of personal commentary. Frankly, it's astonishing how many people in the name of "sensitivity" are willing to dump on someone else, especially when they've already admitted to doing something and getting appreciation for it. Or how many folks are willing to say "hey if you ask a question you should be willing to accept any assinine response you get". No point wasting my time any further, oh and it's Dr. Gall, Presumptous, Insensitive, etc. to you folks <g>.

sukie
10-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Then why didn't you just ask "does anyone play ukulele on a plane?" Why did you add extra thoughts?

Just askin'......

Steveperrywriter
10-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Know what a push-poll is? It’s one in which the questions are loaded in such a way as to elicit a certain response. How you phrase what you ask urges folks to reply in the way you want.

The way the OP's Q is phrased, and it may be entirely unintentional, is that the qualifiers urge a sympathetic response. The OP was in the last row. Had a few compliments but apparently, no negative responses, even though he was worried a bit about those. And the implication that it was okay to play, since the sound was mostly overpowered by the engine noise. The yes-but responses are built-in before the actual question is asked.

But if the player was worried about negative responses, should he have been? That is an implied question, and the answers, by and large, said, “Yep, you should have been worried, (We) wouldn't have done it.”

To spend time defending the stance is like asking somebody for their opinion and then allowing as how their opinion is not valid. Which is allowed, of course, but …

If somebody calls you an ass, you may safely ignore them; if ten people call you an ass, maybe you might consider getting a saddle … ?

This opens the simple, “Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?” query up to interpretation, because the questioner has qualified the question, allowing that it was okay to play because he was in the back and most people couldn’t hear him. And the way a lot of folks are going to interpret this is, “Here’s what I did, what do you think?” rather than the yes-or-no answer that a simple “Do ya?” wonder would ask. If you start out hedging, people will sometimes pick up on that and speak to it.

People want to be helpful, and they want to tell you what they think. If you don’t want to know, don’t ask. How many times have we seen threads here (and in all kinds of other public places?) wherein somebody says, “I have narrowed my choice of a new uke/amp/strings/whatever down to these two: X and Y? Which would you recommend? only to get the third option, Z? Or the fourth, fifth, and tenth options ...

The rationale is simple: Well, I have no experience with X or Y, but I do with Z, and it’s cool. Or, I have played both X and Y, and also Z, and in my opinion, Z is the best of the bunch.

If you ask folks what they think? They will tell you ...

Down Up Dick
10-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Well, DOCTOR Gall, I thought you weren't gonna comment any more.

We aren't college students who just sit in your classes, try to absorb what you're teaching, hope to do well on your exams and worry about the grade you're gonna give 'em. You are just one of us Ukers, and we can say whatever we want (within reason) without worrying about a grade. You need to get back to your classes where you'll be safe from your equals.

Down with Up!! :old:

CeeJay
10-24-2014, 07:00 AM

No.....nor a bus...nor a train nor anywhere else that I am not invited . I marvel ,quite frankly that whilst travelling by air (which is of course an absolute pleasure :rolleyes:) anybody can be so relaxed as to give thought to indulging in some meaningful practice.....and it would be the worry about negative comments that would prevent me from doing so anyway.

Rllink
10-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Now, in the course of the conversation, we have come to titles. I had a title at one time. At the time it identified me. It was who I was. But there came a point where I grew tired of being bound to my identity, so I quit my job, relinquished my title, my identity, or I guess I should say identities, and decided to walk out my front door every day as nothing more than me. And that is who I have been for a while now. I am not a ukulele player. I play the ukulele. A subtle difference, but an important one to me. I am not defined by what I do. Along those same lines, I do not wear shirts that make a statement, and I do not carry my ukulele around for the sole purpose of identifying myself as a ukulele player. I have to ask myself, does someone pull out a ukulele and start playing it somewhere because they just love playing so much that they can not help themselves, or is it an identity? Are they saying, "hey, look at me, I'm a ukulele player?"

CeeJay
10-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Don't worry Steve, it just cements what we've spoken about off board. Big Kahuna's response really was apt. I didn't ask for a bunch of evaluations of "what type of person would do this" simple no's would have sufficed without a bunch of personal commentary. Frankly, it's astonishing how many people in the name of "sensitivity" are willing to dump on someone else, especially when they've already admitted to doing something and getting appreciation for it. Or how many folks are willing to say "hey if you ask a question you should be willing to accept any assinine response you get". No point wasting my time any further, oh and it's Dr. Gall, Presumptous, Insensitive, etc. to you folks <g>.

Oh dear , dear ,dear ,dearie me ....I have just seen this response......Frankly it is astonishing how some educated people get themselves all in a tizz when the question they ask elicits negative , forthright and honest responses ...so here is another......Your statement could be read thus......." Hey, the other day I got on a plane with a Ukelele in my pocket...I was so freakin' cool that I took it out and played it ...it was the biz and people liked it........I wasn't worried about the negs ...hey if they don't like it, well what the heck ..screw 'em ...Hey,Anyone else out there in UU Land as cool as this ?"

Now I could be wrong in my interpretation of this statement or the intent behind it , I very often am ...but as the person concerned actually wrote....if you don't want the answer ,don't ask the question ...which isn't quite how you have misquoted it.

Very sorry you feel that dolly has to be ejected from the carriage in such a ballistic manner...if you were to pick it up we can probably all play nice again...

The Big Kahuna
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Big Kahuna's response really was apt.

Actually, it was sarcasm, and a tiny bit of irony and counterpoint.

And I think we're sufficiently well acquainted that you no longer need to address me in such a formal manner as "Big Kahuna". Feel free to call me "The"