Playing ukes on airplanes

garyg

Reaction score
Just returned from a business trip to Seattle and as usual I brought a uke along. On the return trip I was in the last row of the plane so I took out the uke and did some practice playing. Had a few compliments but worried a bit about negative responses. The sound was mostly overpowered by the engine noise. Anyone else play their uke on an airplane?

Thought about it, but never did...Taking out a tenor seems a bit intrusive to my neighbor...But I saw an advertisement somewhere on UU for those super small ukes...Thought about grabbing one of those and maybe just noodle with that on a plane...

Guess I should have mentioned that I play a soprano and it was my A'nuenue 1879 which is a smaller soprano. The flight attendants were quite complimentary and asked all about it.

I carried my concert but didn't take my uke out last week, I was sitting in the middle and the flight was pretty short, no chance to play at all. Maybe next time i'll try it

Actually, the Ohana SK-21 Sopranino would be perfect for that. I would play on a plane in a heartbeat, but that said, if there were anyone that got annoyed, even if they are jerks, ya should respect that and put it away in a closed enviornment like that.. But I would bet to guess that most would think it was cool... I play mine at my daughter's sporting events, and everyone loves it when I bring ukes. I ussally bring several and pass them out to those who want to try and join in. The few times I haven't brought one, I was always asked where they were, and why didn't I bring em.. lol

If you were in the last row with no neighbors, then maybe. But I wouldn't want to impose upon my seatmates in the same row.

This might be an awesome time for one of those new Peanuts where you can plug it into your headphones and not disturb those around you. :)

I played my Eleuke on a plane to an international destination. Its great for keeping very quiet and finger practicing.

I haven't played an acoustic because I try to respect the people around me. I've joked about playing harmonica for the people; but, I would not do that. I've played harmonica and acoustic ukulele in airports - I usually try to find a secluded space to get practice in.

If the plane was not full and there was space in the back, I would ask the people closest if I could play before I started.

I always play. Of course, I always flied with my wife and we always got one of those emergency exits so we have never had anyone but us to deal with. I seem to have perfected that quiet strum from a tenor using just mythumbs. I also got an ovation on a flight once to Hawai'i (which was the last time I flew).

I always play. Of course, I always flied with my wife and we always got one of those emergency exits so we have never had anyone but us to deal with. I seem to have perfected that quiet strum from a tenor using just mythumbs. I also got an ovation on a flight once to Hawai'i (which was the last time I flew).

An ovation?? That woulda been cool. Once, I was waiting for my wife to finish her massage and I was out practicing my harmonica on the street in front of the spa and some kid gave me 50 cents. I laughed and gave him one of those $5 harmonicas I give to kids. His brother came back with another 50 cents and asked for another harmonica. So, I lost money on the deal. I would have taken an ovation instead.

I always travel with a ukulele. Never played onboard. But while sitting in the staging area in Minneapolis, I brought it out and started strumming softly for myself and a friend. No one around complained. As we boarded the flight, one of the attendants saw the uke case and said, "So it was you that entertained us in the waiting area!" I noticed that during the flight, we had plenty of whatever we needed.

I usually travel with one also all around Asia. Never thought of pulling it out on the airplane. But thinking about it now it would drown out the hacking, coughing, and spitting. Anyone who has been on a Chinese airline knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Do get comments from the flight attendants though....., my colleagues have asked me if I have a spare case for their laundry..LOL

I always fly with my Kala, but also always fly with my two small children. I think I would play for about 2 minutes, then one of them would fall on me, and it would be one flat Kala. :)

I'd be really hesitant about playing in an airplane unless I was playing a solid-body uke through headphones and even then only if the seat next to me was empty. Doing anything that makes noticeable "noise" on a crowded flight where people can't get away is just downright rude - no matter how accomplished you are as a player. I put doing that right up there with the obliviots who insist on yammering on the phone in public places where audiences are "captive."

Back in the mid nineties I had a flight from Milwaukie (sp?) back home to DFW. I'd been sitting in the gate area waiting for this flight - the area was packed and there were no other seats so I was basically stuck a few seats away from a couple that was arguing loudly and incessantly about family matters (whether some other relative was worth the air he breathed). The quarrel went on, and on, and ON, AND ON. We boarded the plane and, yep, guess who was seated right behind me. They never even stopped arguing all the way down the jetway and to the seats as we boarded the flight. I was contemplating whether I could endure a three-hour flight sitting in front of these obliviots without comitting homicide when the flight attendant announced that the flight was overbooked and they were asking for volunteers willing to spend the night and catch the first flight out the next morning. They ended up with more volunteers than were needed - fortunately, I was the first and had not only raised my hand, I'd jumped out of my seat, grabbed my carry on, and headed for the front of the plane.

When you're in any situation where people can't escape your presence, the only courteous thing to do is make your presence as unnoticeable as possible.

Just my $0.02,

John

Well said John. While we're all uke lovers we find it entertaining but tastes varies so much that others may find the plinking rather annoying. For them, it would be like that couple who keeps yapping behind you in the cinema for 2hrs. With nowhere to run, a long flight, tired and jet lagged make for short fuses. Probably the best time to respect your fellow passengers' downtime.

An ovation?? That woulda been cool. Once, I was waiting for my wife to finish her massage and I was out practicing my harmonica on the street in front of the spa and some kid gave me 50 cents. I laughed and gave him one of those $5 harmonicas I give to kids. His brother came back with another 50 cents and asked for another harmonica. So, I lost money on the deal. I would have taken an ovation instead.

LOL!! That is too funny. I was shocked when the people started clapping. Then I was bombarded with request...I knew no other songs at that time.

When you're in any situation where people can't escape your presence, the only courteous thing to do is make your presence as unnoticeable as possible.
I couldn't agree more. Many people with personal listening devices have their music so loud it still intrudes beyond their earpods/phones/whatever.

Frankly, for that arguing couple, I think would have turned around and just told them to STFU. ;)

The other big PITA on planes, though, is the "friendly" neighbor who wants to chat thru the whole flight. Please respect my space if I'm trying to read a book or am intent on a crossword puzzle.

I almost always have an ukulele when I fly. Most people comment or joke if I am going to play for them but I usually do not, out of respect for everyone else. I have played before takeoff or after landing though when neighbors (and even a flight attendant once) have asked me to, but only briefly.

I do play in the gate waiting areas between flights or when waiting to board. I try to go off and find an area where I will not disturb anyone else. I have on occasion seen people move closer though!

Would be cool to have an impromptu uke jam session at an airport while waiting for a flight (in a quiet corner mind you). lol

Top Bottom