Broke the same string again after a very short time of play. Any help?

Dane

Reaction score
MGM was kind enough to send me a replacement string when my A string broke. I just got it today and after 2 hours of fingerpicking and some very light chords... it snaps again in the same location (I believe right at the nut, or at least close)

I put in an email to MGM asking him this same question. But do you guys know why it might be breaking? I thought it could be from an edge in the nut that's too sharp.

I make sure that I'm not, I check tune the entire time that I'm tightening the string up after putting it on. I'm very scared of overtightening. And it feels just as taut as the other strings when I get it finally in tune. when I try to look down the nut from the fretboard it does look like there might be a very slight bit sticking out. But I'm afraid of attempting to sand the notch until I know exactly what's wrong. I also don't know what kind of sandpaper I'd need to use.

If it snaps at the nut, it most likely has to do with the nut. Post some pictures.

I don't have a macro lens with me, so you really wouldn't be able to see anything. Should the end of the notches be rounded down? If you know what I mean.

the real question i should be asking is should the groove shape exactly to the string? Because it's kind of V-shaped. But it is with the others, and G is doing fine. I just don't get it. I'd rather not have to resort to putting some spitball in the nut.

Try using a piece of the broken "A" string and run it through the nut, if it frays or gouges the string, you got a sharp edge. I've read welding tip cleaners work well at cleaning up the nut of sharp edges. Perhaps a local guitar shop can do it for you.

Try using a piece of the broken "A" string and run it through the nut, if it frays or gouges the string, you got a sharp edge. I've read welding tip cleaners work well at cleaning up the nut of sharp edges. Perhaps a local guitar shop can do it for you.

That's a good idea thanks! And I read about the welding cleaner things

I'm always afraid of taking my uke to a guitar shop, am I just being silly? I'm starting to think more and more that I am..

You most likely have a sharp edge on the nut either at the front (most likely) or ta the back. Take off the strings and get a magnifying glass and look at the string slot. Get somehting hard small and pointy (toothpick) and slide it down the string slot and see if it catches on the lip wither in the front or back. If it catches you will have to sand down the lip, be careful to keep the string slot at a right ange to the edge. You only want to get rid of the sharp bump up. You want a clean 90 degree edge with no burrs. If you have the string slot slope downwards and end up with a greater than 90 degree edge you can get bad buzzing and no sustain on an open string.

Use 400 or 600 grit sandpaper very lightly or if it is a large lip and you are careful, you can shave off the lip with a straightrazor and dress it smooth with the sandpaper. Just go easy and check it often with the mangifying glass and toothpick. Clean everything well so you don't leave any grit.

You ought to check the other stings around the vicinity of where they exit the nut to see if they are nicked. You might have a smaller problem there also.

A trick I learned is to take a sharpened pencil and rub it on the bottom of the string slot to lubricate the strings and help not to damage them when youi reinstall.

Just remember to keep the edge square and work slowly, while checking often. GOOD Luck

My god now I really don't want to do it! haha

You guys are really fast at answering questions! When your strings break, make sure to make a note of where they snap. If they appear to be breaking near the headstock and if you stretch the broken string and it lines up with the nut, then you probably have a sharp edge.

They're aquilas, so it almost reached the nut, and there was a bit of string left over on the peg. So if it wasn't at the nut, then it was very close, and I don't know where else would have snapped it. It's not coming out of the nut at a harsh angle or anything.

Are you using a steak knife to strum?

They're aquilas, so it almost reached the nut, and there was a bit of string left over on the peg. So if it wasn't at the nut, then it was very close, and I don't know where else would have snapped it. It's not coming out of the nut at a harsh angle or anything.

That sounds like a sharp edge in the groove in the nut. My Taylor guitar had the same problem. Strings are constantly running over those grooves in the nut and if there's a sharp irregularity, it weakens the string at that point like something taking a dull knife to some rope. Try and take a light file and try and smooth out that groove. Don't go too hard though because it might mess up the action.

It looks like there is a very small bit that sticks up, MAYBE, on the fretboard edge. But I don't have any sanpaper of 320 grit or higher.

Well I got the sanpaper! But I thought the strings were coming today. Hopefully tomorrow!! I had no idea how bad my uke sounded for the longest time, I always thought it was my playing, I can't wait to try different strings on my new uke.

dane, also make sure that your string has enough play to run through the nut. If the groove is too small, if the string cannot move easily forward or back then you are going to snap the string.

I had the same problem with my old Telecaster. I would shred high E strings like crazy, until I filed down the nut. Unfortunately I went too deep and ruined the action. The string pretty much just plunked against the frets until I replaced the nut with a Tusq. Hopefully you don't run into something like that. Be sure to let us know how it works once you restring it.

Top Bottom