Santa Cruz Ukuleles?

uke4life

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has played or had opinions on the Santa Cruz Ukuleles? I've had and loved their guitars but never thought about their ukulele line that came out. This is more curiosity than anything else because if I had the money to spend, I'd probably pick up a different uke...However, if Kevin Ryan made ukes, I'd be first in line!!! LOL

I have a concert and it is unbelievably good. One of the best mahogany ukes I've ever played

Thank you for the posts...I figured they'd be normal awesome Santa Cruz quality!!!

I think that main reason why Santa Cruz ukes don't get the respect they deserve is that they make so painfully few of them. I called them up and they told me that they make something like 12 a year! No matter how enthusiastic the owners of these ukes are, they would never be vocal enough to create any kind of significant marketing buzz. All of their ukes are handcrafted, but maybe people think that they're production ukes--I don't know. Anyhow, I don't mean to be a shill, but the quality of this uke is really amazing. Every inch of it is perfectly crafted, and the sound is perfect in its resonance. It's also incredibly responsive--I really love it. I have played many great ukes, including custom ukes of the highest caliber. I would probably put the Santa Cruz as one of my top 3--and that's really saying something. Would love to hear what other Santa Cruzers have to say.

I think that main reason why Santa Cruz ukes don't get the respect they deserve is that they make so painfully few of them. I called them up and they told me that they make something like 12 a year! No matter how enthusiastic the owners of these ukes are, they would never be vocal enough to create any kind of significant marketing buzz. All of their ukes are handcrafted, but maybe people think that they're production ukes--I don't know. Anyhow, I don't mean to be a shill, but the quality of this uke is really amazing. Every inch of it is perfectly crafted, and the sound is perfect in its resonance. It's also incredibly responsive--I really love it. I have played many great ukes, including custom ukes of the highest caliber. I would probably put the Santa Cruz as one of my top 3--and that's really saying something. Would love to hear what other Santa Cruzers have to say.

I agree with all you said. It is one of my instruments that I don't plan to part with.

Are they really made in Santa Cruz? I live in Santa Cruz, and would love to see some...
Cheers,
Skottoman

I've always wanted to own a Santa Cruz, just thought it would be a guitar. The SC was my first uke and a Collings my second. Coming from the guitar world, I knew those names. All but one bought since then, however, are made in Hawaii.

which do you prefer between the SC and the Collings?

Are they really made in Santa Cruz? I live in Santa Cruz, and would love to see some...
Cheers,
Skottoman
"

Yes they are really built in Santa Cruz.
If you live in Santa Cruz and want to check them out, go to Sylvan Music. They usually have 1 or 2. Since they are high end they sometimes keep them with the guitars.

I have to tell you I fell in love with the Santa Cruz 1969 Mahogany uke the second I saw it. Never got to see/play one in real life though... but man that is pretty!

which do you prefer between the SC and the Collings?

That's tough. The SC is a high grade koa. The Collings has a spruce top with sunburst finish. The SC is beautiful and the Collings is different. I prefer the Collings neck feel. They are both about equally loud and cost about the same. If I could only keep one of the two, it would be the SC. I like the case that comes with the Collings much better. The SC has a hard nylon case. I have a CF case coming to replace it.

"

Yes they are really built in Santa Cruz.
If you live in Santa Cruz and want to check them out, go to Sylvan Music. They usually have 1 or 2. Since they are high end they sometimes keep them with the guitars.

Maclay is modest...I believe he is in Santa Cruz also and so is Rick Turner...Check them all out. I would love to visit the stores but would be sidetracked at Pasatiempo!! LOL

Top Bottom