Are some Concerts smaller than others?

hibiscus

Reaction score
I tried a Concert Mahogany from Mainland, and although I loved the sound of it, it was too large for me. (medical issues) I traded it for a Soprano Mango (beautiful!), but I'm still thinking about a mahogany concert. Are there differences in size among the different manufacturers?
Thank you for your input.

i swear my Koaloha concert feels smaller than my Ohana, but side by side/up against each other they are the same. the neck meets the body at the the 14th fret though, on the Ohana, and meets at the 13th fret on the Koaloha, making it look smaller.

i swear my Koaloha concert feels smaller than my Ohana, but side by side/up against each other they are the same. the neck meets the body at the the 14th fret though, on the Ohana, and meets at the 13th fret on the Koaloha, making it look smaller.

I don't have one on hand to prove it, but I was going to say the same thing - Koaloha concerts feels smaller to me than the Kamakas that I play. And I've played a couple Koaloha concert-neck pineapples that feel no larger than sopranos to me - each time I was surprised to find it was a concert neck.

The way to measure a uke to see if it a concert uke, is the scale length. Almost all standard concert ukes have a 15" scale length, the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle. The body size or how many frets there are to the body has nothing to do with the size of the uke. There are many hybrids on the market that use short or long necks on different size bodies. Sometimes it is difficult to find just the right fit and sound.

Definetly my mahogany concerts (Kala and Hamano) have a more deep body in comparision of my Koa concert ukes (Mele, KPK and Koaloha).

Definitely not all concerts are same size. No data at hand, but a picture of 4 different ones. These are actually pretty close in size.

attachment.php

Thank you so much! I'll be patient until I can try some out:eek:

Thank you so much! I'll be patient until I can try some out:eek:

What do you mean by "too big"? Scale length or body size? If it is body size then keep your eye out for a super soprano (soprano body with a concert scale length.)

They can definitely be different sizes. I have a concert Flea and a concert mahogany Mainland and the Flea has noticeably larger spaces between the frets. I like the Mainland much better. The Flea now feels too "big" for my taste.

Jason

Top Bottom