Innovative new Kala bridge?

plink freud

Reaction score
I just received a new Kala solid mahogany concert uke from Hawaii
Music Supply (gorgeous by the way - look at the grain & color of the wood, and it sounds better than all my previous 100 odd ukes. The new lighter construction seems to have worked sensationally well.)

Anyway I was surprised to find the bridge has 8 string holes instead of 4. I've never heard of this before and I don't know if someone just grabbed the wrong bridge out of the box, or if it's actually quite a clever new idea. There are obviously now quite a few different options for attaching the strings - I've gone for probably the most simple which is quick and tidy. Anyone seen this before?
bridge 1.jpgbridge 2.jpgbridge 3.jpg

Just when I thought I had learned how to tie strings...

It's becoming common on luthier-built classical guitars. With this, you have a constant break angle over the saddle that isn't affected by how you tie off the string end...unless you do it wrong!

It's becoming common on luthier-built classical guitars. With this, you have a constant break angle over the saddle that isn't affected by how you tie off the string end...unless you do it wrong!
Ah, since that other thread about this I had been wondering about actual benefits (rather than gimmick). The break angle one is obvious now you point it out.

I have to admit at this point that I have NEVER HAD ANY IDEA how to string a tie-bridge. After my first couple of uke purchases, I have always made sure to get the good old-fashioned bridge where you can just tie a knot in the string and just yank it good and tight into the slot. This looks a bit easier. I suppose one day, I ought to learn how to tie them on... I've thought about getting some little beads and using them to hold the knots at the end of the bridge and just stringing it like a normal bridge. There might be some reason why that won't work that I'm not thinking of... I do have 3 decent Kalas with the tie-bridge, and I am dreading the day I need to change strings on them! So I just don't play them much, which is kind of sad.

Top Bottom