Baritone Strings on a Tenor??

SaxManiac100

Reaction score
Can you use D'Addario Baritone strings on a tenor uke?? Too much tension??

Question....why would you want to? I've used tenor strings on a baritone before which made it into a little bigger bodied tenor. Wasnt that big of a difference, like WOW. It was okay. I don't know about the reverse.

Reviving an ancient thread since no-one actually answered the question. I, too, am thinking about using Baritone strings on my tenor uke. The reason is simple: I want to tune my Tenor uke like a baritone uke (DGBE). I already have a couple sets of baritone strings (and I don't like Aquila).

Do you think I'll run into any tension related problems?

Alternatively, since I don't like Aquila strings, do you have any other strings suggestions for this purpose?

TIA

Last edited:
I missed it: why not just get a baritone? Not being flip, but the answer to that question might permit more help by understanding your desires.

And Erwin, you'd not know this, but if you Advanced Search above right, and click search titles only, and just use the words "baritone" and "tenor", you'll see a half dozen threads asking this same question as you are (each with about six answers).

It's okay to ask again, I just wanted to alert you to many answers there.

Good luck with your tuning experiment.

Last edited:
Do you think I'll run into any tension related problems?

TIA

Same strings, same tuning, shorter tenor scale length = less tension than on a bari. Whether you'll run into structural problems is another issue, but I don't think so.
You will probably get a pretty anemic sound though because of the smaller body and lower tension.

I have regular Aquila baritone strings on a tenor ukulele. You can get away with DGBE tuning although the tension is a little low. EAC#F# is where it feels and sounds best. You certainly cant take the baritone strings up to GCEA.

Anthony

OK, sorry I missed the other threads. I just wen to the first one that came up in the search results. I assumed that the most recent thread would show up at the top of the listing. My bad.

I have two baritone ukes: Makala and Riptide. I also have a Kamoa tenor. I like to play around with non-standard strings and tunings. The Makala is tuned GCDA, the Riptide is DGBE and the Kamoa GCEA. I'm mostly playing the Riptide -- I'm talking lessons from a guitar teacher and it's a lot easier for him to teach me on the DGBE tuning. But the Kamoa is my favorite uke so I was just thinking it might be nice to use it as my primary instrument. Of course, I hadn't anticipated that with the bari strings I might not like the sound as much so maybe I'm crazy to try.

As for the tension question -- all I can say is, doh! I should have thought about it more carefully. I was thinking the tension would be higher.

Thanks, all, for weighing in.

Top Bottom