8-String Baritone?

I've seen only one . . . made by Tony Graziano of Santa Cruz, CA.

I purchased a spruce/koa baritone from Tony Graziano a month ago. (its absolutely beautiful) He also had an 8 string baritone in his shop. I was so taken by the baritone I bought that I didn't spend much time with the 8 string. It was beautiful.

Those Tony Graziano ukuleles look amazing!

Jack, you actually preferred the 4-string baritone to the 8-string?

I played one of Tony's 8-string baritones at the Wine County Ukulele Festival this past weekend. Beautiful instrument.

Gary:
I met Tony at his home, and he showed me a Spruce/Koa that he made for his wife 10 years ago. It sounded wonderful. When we went to his shop, all I could see was the new Spruce/Koa. The koa is highly figured and the uke is much brighter than my mahogony baritones. I strummed the 8 string but didn't really focus on it. It did have that 'full orchestra' sound similar to the differences between a 12 string and a 6 string guitar.

I'm rarely impulsive but I was absolutely taken by the 4 string. (I was 'just looking with no intention to buy' before I saw/handled/played the baritone.)

As an aside, I hadn't realized that the stripes in figured koa actually are all the same color--the difference is in the way light reflects on the underlying wood grain.

It looks like there are a few excellent options for an 8-string baritone. Unfortunately, it looks like well over $1000 to start. :(

We're going to fill out our string line in the next week or so with the release of 6 & 8 string sets (I'll post when they're released). We're following the same arrangement we use on our 4-string sets. This means a wound set that sets up in the key of C on a standard Tenor scale, and a no-wound set that is key of D for standard Tenor.

That also means on the standard Baritone scale, the no wound set will give you the key of C. It's based on the Linear Ukulele Set that has been so popular (especially with Baritoners). There are lots of nice comments about this set scattered about the UU posts.

Should be something special for you guys: the few, the proud, the 8-string Baritoners!

Dirk, thanks for the update on the string sets.

On the 8 string set, I assume the 4th (G) and 3rd (C) courses are wound, octaved and paired with a fluoro? And the 1st (A) and 2nd (E) are in unison?

Last edited:
graziano side.jpgGraziano peghead.jpggraziano back.JPGGraziano front.JPGmds725: I agree that the 8 string baritone was the one in his shop one month ago. I posted pictures in my profile of my Graziano and Martin baritones. I don't know how to post on this page

mds725: I agree that the 8 string baritone was the one in his shop one month ago. I posted pictures in my profile of my Graziano and Martin baritones. I don't know how to post on this page

That's the one. I'm not a huge fan of white binding (just a personal preference), but the back, side and headplate wood was stunning, and the ukulele sounded beautiful.

Top Bottom