PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha C40 thoughts?

PoiDog
09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey guys -

A friend of mine is offering me a very lightly used Yamaha C40 classical guitar for about $50. It turns out he doesn't have the music bug. I was thinking about picking this up to satisfy my six-string curiosity, but wondered if you had any warnings about it.

Mahalo in advance

josh.kattelman
09-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi!

I suppose all the usual caveats apply (you get what you pay for, etc.) but it's a perfectly suitable kick-around guitar. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C40?gclid=CKi3zricrKsCFQjCKgoduX4C4A

I have a $50 Stagg nylon-string that takes up residence in various places (church, my trunk, etc.) when I don't want to bring my Carrington with. It's basically indestructible, and miraculously in-tune every time I pick it up.

Always,

-jlk

luvdat
11-08-2011, 12:19 AM
The C40? Great guitar! I just picked up one recently new. I actually prefer it to the CG 111S and CG 111C...models which Yamaha revisted and redesigned.

Check out this vid:

http://youtu.be/61EoUEmkqYU

Check out the Delcamp classical forum. Folks with some high end guitars still love their C40's...and not just for sentimental reasons.

kkmm
06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
My reply is really late, however, my feedback on Yamaha C40 could be helpful for others.
I own one, given to me by a friend. I set it up for lower action and it plays really smooth.
Sound: OK to practice and perform in a small room, good for its price range (140$ brand new)
[ of course, can't compare with the sound of a few 5000$ guitar I have tried ]
Quality: 10 years old when I got it, and 7 years later still play really good. The neck stay straight.
I installed a preamp with under-the-saddle pickup and, holy sweet, it sounds really sweet thru my home sound system and the church sound system (where I play every week, previously with an acoustic/electric steel string guitar).
The only reason I would go for another classical guitar is to get a curway model so I can play higher frets easily.