I received my Mike DaSilva tenor

Derry

Reaction score
received last week and love the instrument and tone,, all koa,,

have played classical guitar for years and enjoying what a uke offers for sound and music variety,, certainly different to hold and fret,,:)

using a D'Adario blacks with a wound C and like the tone it adds in lieu of the normal C,,

Derry

Attachments

• _DLM9502.jpg
    _DLM9502.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 140
  • _DLM9503.jpg
    _DLM9503.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 105
  • _DLM9504.jpg
    _DLM9504.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 111
  • _DLM9510.jpg
    _DLM9510.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Congratulations on the beautiful new ukulele! I saw Mike at the Wine Country Uke Fest this weekend. Someone at the festival had a Mike DaSilva ukulele and let me play it a bit. Dang, they're nice! I didn't get to the events at Mike's studio very often, but I'm going to miss him when he moves to Hawai'i.

have played a few other ukes and thought they sounded pretty good and did not know what to really expect at this level of quality, all I can say is sweet, sweet, sweet,, offers so many variable tones depending on how much nail or flesh ya use and so different than my classical guitars,, the more I play the more I fall in love,,

the wife is still out on her vote and I told her to give me a few hundred hours of practice and then decide,, she will come around,,

the tenor has four sisters who are all considerably bigger but she will fit into the family very nicely and hold her own,, :)

Derry

The grain looks like a wild animal. I really like that, and I'm usually a really straight, boring grain kind o' guy.

what a nice DaSilva all Koa ukulele! congrats on your first and very own uke!
Like many others in this forum, I may not be able to buy one but I am looking forward to some sound clips.
Take your time to let it open up , and show us some sweet, mellow sound please.

Congrats on the new uke.
Mike builds a great instrument.
Mine has gotten better the more it has been played.
Play it in good health, congrats.

Sailing: How long did it take for you to notice that the sound was improving on your new uke?
Have others noticed the time it takes for a new uke to 'open up'?

Sailing: How long did it take for you to notice that the sound was improving on your new uke?
Have others noticed the time it takes for a new uke to 'open up'?

When I first got it I switched the strings to Aquila. I had always had good luck with them.
After about a month the uke got so loud I could not sing over it. I switched to Worth Browns, the voice changed to a sweet mellow sound.
The uke is still loud, but not like it was with the Aquilas. I played it every day for at least an hour when I first got it. There were days when little else got done, but playing. Opening up is a two fold process, one the instrument does change and two, the player learns to get the most out of the ukulele.
I might add that my playing style has changed as well, I am no longer strictly a strummer as I was when I got my DaSilva.

Top Bottom