bluegrass sound

mile38

Reaction score
I am looking for a ukulele that more closely approaches a sharp, crisp "bluegrass" sound than any others. Suggestions on make and size of ukulele that best does this will be appreciated. Some suggestions that I have already received include National concert sized metal ukulele, National concert sized wood body ukulele, Beltona fiberglass tenor or concert sized ukulele. Thanks.

I'd agree with the National metal body resonator uke suggestion. Banjo ukuleles are very sharp when tuned to D tuning

Last edited:
Any resonator Uke ought to do the trick, and I am pretty sure my first will be a Mya-Moe- I am torn between going Mahogany or seeing if I can get it done in walnut (which ought to sound like maple but be prettier). Banjo Ukes are a great addition to any collection, and especially in the hands of a bluegrass enthusiast (Mine are a Morgan Monroe which is now Eddie Finn and two May-Bells). If you are not wanting something that is so different from the traditional Ukulele, Maple sides and back and a spruce top will put you right where you want to be with the High Lonesome.

I dunno, I've been working on Wagon Wheel (by Old Crow Medicine Show) and I've found that any uke (especially soprano) can sound bluegrassy with the right feel behind it. Maybe work on the technique?

Top Bottom