PDA

View Full Version : Help! I just became a future Mya-Moe owner!

mds725
09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Gordon and Char Mayer, who build Mya-Moe ukuleles, had a vendor table at this past weekend's Wine Country Ukulele Festival. After playing some of the models, including the beautiful #500 (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=500&submit=Track)(a tenor cutaway master grade myrtle), I decided to buy a Mya-Moe ukulele and made a deposit. (I'm now officially build no. 635. with a completion date of March 20, just in time for the Spring Equinox.) Char was great. We talked about tonewoods and she illustrated her points by playing #500 and a beautiful chocolate heart mango that was also there. Char also suggested that she could sand a koa soundboard a bit thinner so that it would sound a little brighter.

So what kind of help -- other than to pay for it, which I'm hoping will be covered by my forced savings plan (i.e., my 2012 income tax refund) -- would I like? I have to decide what I want my Mya-Moe ukulele to look and sound like. My dilemma is that I already have a Kamaka HF-3 tenor and I love the sound of it, so I wanted something that was different enough to justify buying a custom ukulele, but not so dissimilar that I wouldn't like the sound of it. Char suggested either mango or myrtle, which she said were a bit less warm than koa and mahogany but not as bright as soft woods like spruce and maple. So ....

1. For those of you who have a solid koa ukulele and love the sound and have either bought, or have thought or fantasized about buying, a Mya-Moe or other custom ukulele, what tonewood(s) did/would you select, and why? Were you looking for something different than a traditional koa sound? If you bought a custom uke, how do you feel about your tonewood decision? How does your custom compare to a traditional koa ukulele?

2. Mya-Moe offers the option of a slotted headstock. According to Gordon, a slotted headstock slightly increases the angle at which the strings cross the nut and, he said, some people believe this has a small positive effect on the instrument's tone. On the other hand, it's a bit more difficult to see the famous Mya-Moe headplate with a slotted headstock.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27972&d=1315941487 http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27971&d=1315941438

Which would you get?

Mahalos in advance for any suggestions or advice!

gyosh
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I asked Char the same questions about tone and after thinking about it, I think I would ask to see the wood they have in stock and choose the one most appealing to my eye. You know it's going to sound great, you might as well love the look too. Congratulations! Hope to see it in person some time.

Mandarb
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Funny you should ask....I am talking to a local luthier about getting a custom walnut tenor made. But I keep thinking about what I would get if I ordered a Mya-Moe custom and I would have to say that I would go with myrtle and a slotted headstock. Good luck with whatever you decide - I am sure it will be great.

Trinimon
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Congrats. I like the fact that you can follow the progress of your uke as it's being built.

mds725
09-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I asked Char the same questions about tone and after thinking about it, I think I would ask to see the wood they have in stock and choose the one most appealing to my eye. You know it's going to sound great, you might as well love the look too. Congratulations! Hope to see it in person some time.

Gary, it's funny you say that. Char said that if I can let her know which ukuleles in the Mya-Moe gallery I like, she can email me photos of similar stock she has and let me choose the pieces I want. Both the myrtle and chocolate heart mango ukuleles sounded great, but they did sound a bit different from each other.

pulelehua
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a solid Zebrawood custom concert. If I had it all to do again, I'd probably get it with a spruce top, as it would give it more of the things I like in it. Mike Pereira, who built it, initially suggested spruce, but I was set on solid wood. It's a lovely ukulele, but it does leave that feeling of "there is something more".

SailingUke
09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
I was in a similar boat when I ordered my first Mya-Moe. I had my DaSilva and a great KoAloha.
I decided to go with a resonator, it is so different than the other ukuleles it is an easier decision on which to play.
The new Mya-Moe, order a few weeks ago and spec'd out at WCUF with Gordon and Char is going to be a six string.
The new one will also be something totally different than my other ukuleles.

MDS, did we get to meet over the weekend? I had a double bag with my DaSilva and Mya-Moe Resonator.
Great festival too !!

gyosh
09-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Gary, it's funny you say that. Char said that if I can let her know which ukuleles in the Mya-Moe gallery I like, she can email me photos of similar stock she has and let me choose the pieces I want. Both the myrtle and chocolate heart mango ukuleles sounded great, but they did sound a bit different from each other.

She also said she had two more pieces of the solid myrtle (see #490). If you want that you should hurry before my UAS gets the best of me :) Actually, I would have a hard time choosing between a Mya-Moe or a Compass Rose, and an even harder time convincing my wife I need either :p I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see the build start.

bdukes
09-13-2011, 11:48 AM
I love these kind of questions... spending someone else's money!

Having owned a Kamaka Tenor and like you, love the sound, I would go with the mango wood just for the crazy aesthetics alone. If mango still has some of the warmth of koa it would be different enough but still familiar to your tastes. As long as we're voting, I'd go for the slotted head. No reason other than as a long-time classical guitar owner, I'm a sucker for them. I know it's all about the sound ultimately, but I really am drawn to ukes that sound good and have the extra adornments.

And +1 on the Compass Rose AND Mya-Moe, I'm trying to work both into my future.

Lori
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi Mark
Great seeing you at the Fest! The same thing happened to me at last year's Wine Country Uke Fest. Char and Gordon are great to work with, and I had already discovered their website and fallen in love with the resonator uke. Since I was getting a resonator, the woodgrain doesn't show so much from the front, but I wanted a myrtle rather than a spruce top. The resonator is different in tone from the other ukes I have, and I prefer it over my banjo uke. It's tone is between a regular uke and a banjo uke.
Char will show you photos of the wood choices they have if you can give her some guidance of what you like. Since you don't have a myrtle or a mango uke, I would say think about getting one of those.
They have a great website where you can follow your build. Here is my Mya-Moe:
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=389&submit=Track
Have fun with all the choices. When in doubt, let Char and Gordon guide you on the details.
–Lori

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Congratulations on your new-in-the-future ukulele! As for your questions...

1. You love Kamaka's sound. Your Mya-Moe will certainly have a different sonic character---whether it's koa or not---so why not go for the most beautiful wood they've got?

2. Sounds like, as a fan of Mya-Moe's headstock design, you're leaning away from the slotted headstock. I'm with you, the slotted headstock is not as pretty as the 'classic' headstock. Go for the 'classic'.

Take all the time you need for your decisions, and I'm sure you'll end up with a wonderful Mya-Moe.

Dougf
09-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Congrats on springing for the custom Mya-Moe, Mark, and nice meeting you at WCUF. For tonewood, I'd go with sinker redwood, although Gordon may not have any in stock. My tenor's soundboard is sinker redwood from Mendocino, and I think it sounds great. After I get my first build under my belt in Rick Turner's Crucible workshop, I'm hoping to build another with sinker redwood.

Here's a link to an article:

http://www.michelettiguitars.com/Salvaged_Wood.htm

rasputinsghost
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
as a guy with mostly koa ukes, get myrtle. it's emblematic of their state and has a great tone!
Also the slotted headstock is too Jake-y (and guitar-y) and you should put your money towards upping the grade of your wood!

dkcrown
09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I have to say that of all of the sound samples that I have heard with Mya Moe's, myrtle would be my choice. And I think that they have some beautiful myrtle. I had a Pono mango pineapple and it didn't have much punch to it. Not that you can compare a Pono to a Mya Moe, but I think that generally mango tends to have a mellower tone to it.

And while we're at it, I would go with the standard headstock, not slotted, with ebony. Oh, and ebony binding. Oh, and a wood rosette.

uke4life
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
+2 on the Compass Rose and Mya Moe...I have the Compass Rose on order and will hopefully get the Mya Moe next year...HUGE CONGRATS!!! I'd go standard headstock...

TCK
09-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I am pretty certain that if I was not such an idiot by wearing a western shirt with metal buttons to the Festival. I would have (could have) played the Mya tenor all day. They insisted I play them (so cool) and I spent the entire time worrying my buttons were going to dig a gouge in them.
I think I need to order one and see if I can dig my own gouges into it- they were stunning, and pretty much the nicest folks I think I have ever met.

specialk13
09-13-2011, 03:53 PM
+2 for Myrtle wood. It is a nice balance between say koa and mahogany, plus it would definitely be different than your koa Kamaka. go for the traditional headstock, the Mya-Moe headstock is great! Congrats on taking the plunge, I'm jealous!

olgoat52
09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I think the chocolate mango is killer. But I have to say that I love koa above all. I know we need to consider alternative woods but let's face it, Koa is not going to come back in our life time and it you don't build one out of koa, someone else will. So far as I can tell, nothing sounds as good in uke form as koa. But I could survive on a desert island with a Choc. Mango.

Gordon and Char are great folks. Gordon is so responsive to questions. I feel absolutely guilty for not having one on order my self.

Best of luck. And you thought last winter was a long one... just wait. ;)

marymac
09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Mark -

It was great meeting you this weekend! I also met Sailing Uke, Dougf, Eric, gyosh and many others. Great event! Anyway, when I saw you sitting with Char I knew you were a goner. I'm pretty inspired by the Mya Moe's myself now. I'm not a big soprano fan but I loved the "Char's Snowflake Uke" they had there. Still, probably going to get a tenor.

I love the wild sycamore looks and talked to Gordon about it while I was there. I'm thinking sycamore with a Sitka spruce or cedar top. Or maybe maple. Looking for a new sound. On the other hand I love rosewood - oooo I feel your pain Mark! Choices, choices!

I'm totally sold on the standard headstock. In general I love slotted but if I'm going to get a MM I gotta get the standard headstock.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide on! - Mary

Lori
09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
By the way, when I had my Mya-Moe on order, my UAS went into a state of remission. It is only temporary though, and the pent up pressure along with fate caused me to receive 3 ukes in one month.

–Lori

maclay
09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
My favorite top wood is adirondack spruce, but im sure it will sound great regardless of your selection. Gordon and Char make a fine ukulele.

uker62
09-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I just took delivery of #524. Now it's solid koa, precisely because I wanted something traditional, but totally unique. Since you've probably already started obsessively checking out the website, you'll see what I mean by looking on the "uke tracker". I'm so impressed that I'm now considering a curly cherry bodied, spruce topped tenor resonator next. You will be amazed by the quality, no matter what wood you go for.

mds725
09-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts so far. Please keep 'em coming!

I was in a similar boat when I ordered my first Mya-Moe. I had my DaSilva and a great KoAloha. I decided to go with a resonator, it is so different than the other ukuleles it is an easier decision on which to play. The new Mya-Moe, order a few weeks ago and spec'd out at WCUF with Gordon and Char is going to be a six string. The new one will also be something totally different than my other ukuleles.

MDS, did we get to meet over the weekend? I had a double bag with my DaSilva and Mya-Moe Resonator. Great festival too !!

I have a vague recollection of seeing one of those double bags. Sorry I didn't get to meet you formally. I wore a UU tee shirt on Saturday, but my claim to conspicuousness was the splint on my right middle finger. Congratulations on your upcoming Mya-Moe!

Hi Mark
Great seeing you at the Fest! The same thing happened to me at last year's Wine Country Uke Fest. Char and Gordon are great to work with, and I had already discovered their website and fallen in love with the resonator uke. Since I was getting a resonator, the woodgrain doesn't show so much from the front, but I wanted a myrtle rather than a spruce top. The resonator is different in tone from the other ukes I have, and I prefer it over my banjo uke. It's tone is between a regular uke and a banjo uke.
Char will show you photos of the wood choices they have if you can give her some guidance of what you like. Since you don't have a myrtle or a mango uke, I would say think about getting one of those.
They have a great website where you can follow your build. Here is my Mya-Moe:
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=389&submit=Track
Have fun with all the choices. When in doubt, let Char and Gordon guide you on the details.
–Lori

Hi Lori, Great seeing you guys too, and congratulations on your enjoyable open mic performance. I thought it was great. I only wish the sound system had been louder.

Congratulations on your resonator. I apologized in advance for saying this, but I told Char that resonators reminded me of Hannibal Lechter because they looked like they had a cage over their mouths. I like the sound of them -- Gerald Ross's Mya-Moe resonator sounded great in his workshop -- but I'm not sure they're for me. You're right, though, about Char sending me photos of wood sets. She asked me to look through the gallery and let her know what I liked, and she'd pick out wood sets for me to look at. And letting Char and Gordon advise is, I think, great advice!

Mark - It was great meeting you this weekend! I also met Sailing Uke, Dougf, Eric, gyosh and many others. Great event! Anyway, when I saw you sitting with Char I knew you were a goner. I'm pretty inspired by the Mya Moe's myself now. I'm not a big soprano fan but I loved the "Char's Snowflake Uke" they had there. Still, probably going to get a tenor. I love the wild sycamore looks and talked to Gordon about it while I was there. I'm thinking sycamore with a Sitka spruce or cedar top. Or maybe maple. Looking for a new sound. On the other hand I love rosewood - oooo I feel your pain Mark! Choices, choices! I'm totally sold on the standard headstock. In general I love slotted but if I'm going to get a MM I gotta get the standard headstock. I'll be interested to hear what you decide on! - Mary

Mary, Great meting you too. I don't think I formally met as many UUers as you did, but it was great to see that so many were there. I've been looking through the Mya-Moe gallery and they have lots of beautiful sycamore. I think you couldn't go wrong with a sycamore/sitka uke.

I just took delivery of #524. Now it's solid koa, precisely because I wanted something traditional, but totally unique. Since you've probably already started obsessively checking out the website, you'll see what I mean by looking on the "uke tracker". I'm so impressed that I'm now considering a curly cherry bodied, spruce topped tenor resonator next. You will be amazed by the quality, no matter what wood you go for.

Uker, Your Mya-Moe is stunning! I remember "liking" it when Mya-Moe posted it on its Facebook page. Char emailed me a similar woodset that she has, and it's also stunning; she was saying that she might be able to get a less koa-like sound out of it. Mya-Moe has some beautiful cherry posted in its gallery. So many decisions.....

ksiegel
09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
She also said she had two more pieces of the solid myrtle (see #490). If you want that you should hurry before my UAS gets the best of me :) Actually, I would have a hard time choosing between a Mya-Moe or a Compass Rose, and an even harder time convincing my wife I need either :p I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see the build start.

You're simply investing in your 4-year-old's future, Gary. That should be plain to see!

I think you need both the Mya-Moe AND the Compass Rose, but that's just my opinion....

(BTW, nice to meet you tonight at the SJUC gathering!)

-Kurt

gyosh
09-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Mark,

Maybe when you get the new Mya-Moe we can organize an UU + friends unveiling party uke jam?

-Gary

lkdumas
09-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I bought the Pineapple Tenor from Char at the uke fest. This build has the traditional headstock, but has the geared, peg-head tuners, which is a little unusual for a tenor, and I really like the look and light feel. Only played for a few days, but they seem to stay in tune. You might want to look at that option. Just something else to enjoy pondering.

RichM
09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
As long as we're showing off, here's mine:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=551&submit=Track

Beuatiful to look at and lovely to hear!

GX9901
09-14-2011, 10:49 AM
I own a Mya-Moe concert and a few other custom ukes. Here's my take:

1. I would say go with the Myrtle, since I did that myself. I went with myrtle because I do not own any ukes made with it and I really liked how curly myrtle looked. From the standpoint of sound, though, I'm not totally sold on it yet. When I received mine in May of 2011, I thought while it sounded pretty nice picked, the strummed sound left a little bit to be desired. It just seemed a bit more muffled than it ought to be. It more or less sounds the same now, although to be fair I have not played it enough to allow it to "open up". To me my Mya-Moe sounds like a very nice production built ukulele, but a clear step below true customs such as my Glyph or William King ukes. Still, it does have impeccable workmanship (perhaps the best I've got) and overall I'm pleased with it because it looks great and sounds nice on its own.

2. I'm probably as big a fan of slotted headstocks as anyone, but I did not feel the Mya-Moe version. I think the best looking version of the Mya-Moe headstock is the basic one with PegHeds.

Congrats and enjoy the Mya-Moe!

mds725
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Mark,

Maybe when you get the new Mya-Moe we can organize an UU + friends unveiling party uke jam?

-Gary

Well, we have until next spring to plan one. :)

I bought the Pineapple Tenor from Char at the uke fest. This build has the traditional headstock, but has the geared, peg-head tuners, which is a little unusual for a tenor, and I really like the look and light feel. Only played for a few days, but they seem to stay in tune. You might want to look at that option. Just something else to enjoy pondering.

I saw that ukulele but didn't have a chance to play it, being as I was so enamored of the myrtle and chocolate heart mango tenors. Thanks for the additional peghead tuner option!

As long as we're showing off, here's mine:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=551&submit=Track

Beuatiful to look at and lovely to hear!

That's a great looking ukulele with really pretty koa! Congratulations!

marymac
09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Hahaha - I did it! I'm #644. Cool

gyosh
09-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Now we really will have to organize an unveiling party jam. Congratulations marymac!!!!

(I will not give in, I will not give in, I will not give in . . .)

marymac
09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Now we really will have to organize an unveiling party jam. Congratulations marymac!!!!

(I will not give in, I will not give in, I will not give in . . .)

Hahaha - yes a party will be in order. I know how you feel about not giving in on buying something though. I had to make a pact with a friend about refraining from buying an iPad (she and I are both gadget hounds). I don't need one, and I will not give in (I will not give in, I will not give in, I will not give in . . .) Be strong brother. I'll let you play my mya-moe when it gets here.

RichM
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
With a Mya-Moe on the way, it's probably time to turn loose that Michael Dunn... :)

marymac
09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
With a Mya-Moe on the way, it's probably time to turn loose that Michael Dunn... :)

Hahaha! I don't think that's going to happen. I almost bought a little brother for it from Tony Graziano though - a gorgeous rosewood and spruce OVAL hole Maccaferri. But I resisted. It was a close thing. I talked to a guy named Pete (I think) who had a maple/spruce version of it with a pickup - it was to die for. SO many beautiful ukes there last weekend. Sailing uke's MM resonator in black and white ebony was another prime example. So many ukes, so little time. And um - so little money for some reason these days. Why could that be...

mds725
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Not to be an enabler or anything, but congratulations! Sycamore or rosewood?

I'm actually considering a second one (maybe a baritone?) because Char sent me a photo of the most beautiful piece of a different type of wood than the type of wood I was considering, and I think I may have to have both .... Argh!

You're being #644 means that Mya-Moe got orders for at least eight other ukes between Sunday afternoon and today. Yikes!

marymac
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
What number are you? I've been looking at the MM site so much I'm tempted to order another one myself. Stop me before I spend again! Quiiiiilted maaaaaple. QUIIIIIILTED MAAAAAPLE. Dang stuff is calling me. Must stop looking at the site. Did you decide on what to order for your first? Here's mine:

Serial Number: 644
Name on Inside Label: Mary M
Size: Tenor
Model: Classic
Back & Side Wood: Sycamore
Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
Body Binding: Koa body binding
Fretboard Binding: Koa
Rosette: Rope rosette with black purfling
Headplate: Standard
Tuners: Peghed tuners
Finish: Hand-rubbed oil finish
Pickup: MiSi, LR Baggs undersaddle pickup & volume control
Fourth String: High- G
Includes strap buttons & premium hard case

mds725
09-14-2011, 07:45 PM
What number are you? I've been looking at the MM site so much I'm tempted to order another one myself. Stop me before I spend again! Quiiiiilted maaaaaple. QUIIIIIILTED MAAAAAPLE. Dang stuff is calling me. Must stop looking at the site. Did you decide on what to order for your first?

Yours sounds really nice. I like the sycamore in the galleries. Here's mine, although a lot of the stuff is tentative:
Serial Number: 635
Name on Inside Label: Mark S****
Size: Tenor
Model: Tradition
Back & Side Wood: Myrtle
Top Wood: Myrtle
Headplate: Standard
Tuners: Slotted Headstock with Schertler tuners
Fourth String: TBD
Includes strap buttons & premium hard case

The myrtle is tentative. I may end up with curly myrtle, master grade myrtle, or a different wood altogether. I'm hooked on the photo Char sent me of a dark koa sounboard set. I've sent Char the serial numbers of ukuleles in the gallery that I really like the wood of, and she's going to help me select the wood.
I noticed you selected a classic. I like some, but not all, of the bling on the classic, but I'm thinking that if the myrtle (or whatever wood) is light enough, I might want a dark binding for contrast (it's an option on traditional models), and I think I've abandoned the idea of a slotted headstock. (A standard headstock is good enough for Victoria Vox, and I think the unique headplate design doesn't show up as well on a slotted headstock).

I may be serious about ordering a second Mya-Moe ... I'm thinking perhaps baritone. So if I got two, do you think myrtle would make more sense on a tenor and koa on a baritone? I already have a Kamaka in both tenor and baritone scales, but this Koa Char has is striking. She told me she thinks she could brighten up the sound of the Koa soundboard, so it wouldn't sound as traditional as a Kamaka. Like I said earlier, Argh! :)

didgeridoo2
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Congrats Mark! I just got my first of two I ordered from MM. I've had it almost a week and it's fabulous. http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=479&submit=Track

Just confirmed specs for my next one. It'll begin to come together in 6 weeks. What a great experience working with Gordon, Char and Aaron.

mds725
09-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Congrats Mark! I just got my first of two I ordered from MM. I've had it almost a week and it's fabulous. http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=479&submit=Track

Just confirmed specs for my next one. It'll begin to come together in 6 weeks. What a great experience working with Gordon, Char and Aaron.

Wow! That curly myrtle is amazing! I'm glad to hear that you're loving your Mya-Moe!

Funny, I'm now thinking of ordering a second one made out of a beautiful wood sample Char sent me a photo of. I agree -- Char's been great to work with so far. She seems to be handling my early indecisiveness pretty well. What's the serial number for your second one? It would be fun for me to watch it get built.

didgeridoo2
09-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow! That curly myrtle is amazing! I'm glad to hear that you're loving your Mya-Moe!

Funny, I'm now thinking of ordering a second one made out of a beautiful wood sample Char sent me a photo of. I agree -- Char's been great to work with so far. She seems to be handling my early indecisiveness pretty well. What's the serial number for your second one? It would be fun for me to watch it get built.
It's #549. It'll be a tenor resonator using sinker redwood as the top and curly koa sides and back. I picked the wood out a couple months ago and I think the koa is the same set from #524.

I really like the simplicity of my myrtle concert. It has great sustain even above the 12th fret and it's clear as a bell.

marymac
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I may be serious about ordering a second Mya-Moe ... I'm thinking perhaps baritone. So if I got two, do you think myrtle would make more sense on a tenor and koa on a baritone? I already have a Kamaka in both tenor and baritone scales, but this Koa Char has is striking. She told me she thinks she could brighten up the sound of the Koa soundboard, so it wouldn't sound as traditional as a Kamaka. Like I said earlier, Argh! :)

Ok here's the way I'm coming to think of the uke sizes. Baris and low-G tenors are to satisfy my need for guitary sound since I have come to realize I'll never actual get around to playing a monster as big as a guitar. SO I want my baris and low-G ukes to have that rich chocolatey bass sound I'm looking for. If I was you, I'd go koa on the bari and string it low. Then get something brighter for the tenor size. They don't have the largest body tenors and your HF3 sounds pretty great in the low-G chocolately realm so how about going for that myrtle (which is a bit brighter) with a dark binding and high-G. You want something even brighter add a spruce top to it.

mds725
09-14-2011, 09:29 PM
It's #549. It'll be a tenor resonator using sinker redwood as the top and curly koa sides and back. I picked the wood out a couple months ago and I think the koa is the same set from #524.

I really like the simplicity of my myrtle concert. It has great sustain even above the 12th fret and it's clear as a bell.

It sounds like your second Mya-Moe will be as stunning as your first, although definitely different. I had the same reaction to the myrtle tenor Char let me play as you're having to your myrtle concert. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ok here's the way I'm coming to think of the uke sizes. Baris and low-G tenors are to satisfy my need for guitary sound since I have come to realize I'll never actual get around to playing a monster as big as a guitar. SO I want my baris and low-G ukes to have that rich chocolatey bass sound I'm looking for. If I was you, I'd go koa on the bari and string it low. Then get something brighter for the tenor size. They don't have the largest body tenors and your HF3 sounds pretty great in the low-G chocolately realm so how about going for that myrtle (which is a bit brighter) with a dark binding and high-G. You want something even brighter add a spruce top to it.

I was thinking the same thing about baritones. I have a Kamaka baritone and I love it for its "chocolatey bass" sound. Assuming I could afford a second Mya-Moe, I suppose I could string one bari DGBE and the other with those low octave GCEA Guadalupe strings. Thanks for your thoughts!

guitharsis
09-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Congrats to all Mya-Moe owners and future owners! I have to check out that website. So many selections and such gorgeous wood.
Played a MM at NC Ukulele Academy a year or two ago. Great sound, workmanship.

mds725
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

The bad news for me is that Char says the dark koa wood set is too small for a baritone and she thinks it wouldn't make a good tonewood for a baritone anyway. She says warmer woods are quiet in a baritone. Also, the dark myrtle wood that I liked (for example, #487 (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=487)and #488 (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=488&submit=Track)) is gone. The lighter myrtle ukuleles in the Mya-Moe gallery are pretty, but I preferred the darker myrtle ukes. Back to the gallery for more wood shopping!

marymac
09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
The bad news for me is that Char says the dark koa wood set is too small for a baritone and she thinks it wouldn't make a good tonewood for a baritone anyway. She says warmer woods are quiet in a baritone. Also, the dark myrtle wood that I liked (for example, #487 (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=487)and #488 (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=488&submit=Track)) is gone. The lighter myrtle ukuleles in the Mya-Moe gallery are pretty, but I preferred the darker myrtle ukes. Back to the gallery for more wood shopping!

Bummer! Well you could always get a dark koa tenor if you really like that wood.

TCK
09-15-2011, 06:49 PM
You guys are not helping at all- Congrats all on your new acquisitions...here I am wishing I preferred a size (I don't care, as long as it's a Uke). I also wish I had a wood preference (again- don't really care as long as it is wood). WHat I do know is like Mya sound, and I like Mya people.
That and I love Jon's Walnut...I love it so much I am willing to go all the way to AUS. and arm-wrestle him for it.
I am thinking of going totally unknown territory. I do not have a concert. I do not have a resonator. I do not have enough walnut in my life. I probably ought to give them a call and sort all this out.
Then there is the whole Idea of Baritone...PURRRRRR. I love Baritones. I have one though. Can I have two? I would never tune one differently after getting my Southcoast strings, but....
ARGHHH

Mary- you are going to need a bigger case :)

marymac
09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Mary- you are going to need a bigger case :)

Hahaha - aint that the truth! Maybe Kala will make a case for THREE ukes :)

Hippie Dribble
09-15-2011, 10:39 PM
geez Mark, hard to know where to start. My 7th MM is nearly finished and a sapele reso is up for build in January. I have a koa sop, sycamore concert, myrtle super-sop, walnut tenor, maple concert and 2 mangos(a sop and a concert). love em all to bits but the nicest tones are in the koa soprano, myrtle super-sop, mango soprano and concert, and walnut tenor....hmmm...that's nearly all of em right...I would go for either mango, walnut or myrtle for your tenor. Mango being the warmest of the three.

There are so many custom options with Gordon and Char too, it's scary. I spend way more time on their website than is healthy i'm sure. I'd also pay the little bit extra for the peghed tuners on your tenor uke and forget the slotted headstock option.

The thing is, ALL their ukes sound awesome so it's almost a moot point really!!! How exciting though to be on the list. Congrats on the deposit mate. I would have given anything to have been at that festival last weekend.