Big Day

Jon Moody

Reaction score
Firstly, I just sent out my deposit to Jerry at Boat Paddle Ukuleles to get a custom M Style Concert made for my birthday (don't know if it'll be ready by then, but that's not that important). It's got octaved G strings, so it'll technically be a 5. It's also got a special inlay on the fretboard; I had him put my daughter's footprint on it.

Secondly, I submitted an article into the "Reader Submission" section to Bass Musician Magazine, and found out today that it was published. Give it a read; it's not so much bass-related.

http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2011/09/being-in-tune-by-bmm-reader-jonathan-moody/

Plus, I have rehearsal for the current theatre run tonight. So, it's a big day.

That's awesome. I'm saving for a custom and was looking to have my daughter's footprint on the headstock. I like the fretboard idea though. Wow, what a special uke that'll be for you. We eagerly await your pictures. Congratulations on the uke... and daughter.

I liked the fact that the cost for the custom inlay wasn't that bad overall. However, all of the other affordable options add up, you know? ;)

Congrats on the order. Not sure if you know it, but our own Nuprin has a custom M style concert that was chronicled in the uke talk forum about a year and a half ago. I'm not sure of how to provide the link.

Enjoyed reading the article. I've had those same thoughts and always try to tune by ear. Frankly, I can't tune as well as the electronic tuner but that's because I can't hear those subtle differences. If I can't hear them then what difference does it make, but maybe other folks have better ears than I do <g>.

Nice article. In my high school concert band, we always tuned to the oboe, because (we were told) an oboe is so hard to tune. I think orchestras may do the same thing, although they make a big show out of tuning to the concertmaster (first violin, first chair) after they've already tuned offstage.

Jim D'Ville is big on tuning (and playing) by ear, and he recently began selling his own tuning fork tuned to "A." Here's his blog post about tuning by ear. http://playukulelebyear.blogspot.com/2009/08/greetings-and-welcome-to-play-ukulele.html

Thanks gents. I have found that in the past, any talking of using a tuner is a pretty polarizing topic on forums, especially when someone asks "What tuner is the most accurate?" I'll use a tuner when I'm restringing an instrument and working on setting intonation; that's something I just can't do accurately without one and it makes a substantial difference in feel and playability. In a group, it's a starting reference point if it's used.

Another nice update to this is that when the editor asked for my picture to put in the article, I mentioned that they should keep it on file because I will be sending in other articles in the future. From there, they gave me all of the staff writer details, and I should have a bio on their site fairly soon!

Excellent article, Jon!

I don't use tuners all that much. I pick up an instrument, check the string tension by feel, then put the strings "in tune with each other" and go.

It's a different ballgame, of course, in a group setting, and even on my own, I still use a tuner from time to time, just to see if I have wandered too far from my original intent.

Congrats also on the beginnings of your "writing career"! You do it well.

Thanks, Dirk! I have found with my uke playing, that I do what you do; check the intonation string to string and then go. It's only when I just put on some new strings that I'll check that tuner regularly, but once the strings settle in, I don't use it that much.

Top Bottom