New Martin SO for $269?

delray48209

Reaction score
I came across a store that is selling a new Martin SO for $269. The question is should I or shouldn't I buy this uke for this price? There has been contraversory on the Martin SO. On the other hand, some owners just love their Martin SO. The $269 just seems like a great deal. What do you think?

Last edited:
Do you mean S-O or S-1? This is about what I've seen the s-O, now discontinued, go for. The S-1 has an extended fingerboard. I've not played an S-0, but have not heard such great things about it. I have played an S-1. While it's fine, I wouldn't say that it's better than an Ohana SK-35. You can get the Ohana for substantially less.

It's a good price so if you can play it and it sounds good, buy it. I bought mine for just a little less and am very happy with it. I recently put Worth Medium Browns on it and like them better than the Martin fluorocarbons it came with.

I was playing one at Sam Ash Music a couple of months ago and I wanted it right then and there. Probably one of the best sounding Sopranos I have ever heard. I didn't have the money, nor do I see having that kind of money for some time now, but I wish I would have been able to buy it. Every time I go, I see it and I play it. Maybe the store manager will feel bad for me and just give it to me :)

Dan

I'd rather just get a vintage Style 0 if you're going to pay around that much. You really can't go wrong with vintage Martins. I've heard very mixed things about the SO

Last edited:
For that money - $269, I'd rather have an Ohana SK-38, which sounds more like a Martin than the S0 does. I've played the 0, and it's ok, but nothing special. $269 is cheap, but I'm still with Zac. For $300-400, a Vintage Gibson Style 1 is possible; for $400-600, a vintage Martin Style 0 or even a Style 1 are possible.

Play it, though. If you like it and think its worth $269, why not?

Dilemma is solved! I just purchased a new Ohana SK35 - Solid mahogany ukulele for $135.00. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Top Bottom