PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times - Gillian Welch & David Rawlings cover

23skidoo
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
This one's for Eugene..... his favorite song off the new Gillian Welch record....

Starts out a little rough, but give it a minute to get going....

Enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yaEDL3uFpE

TCK
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Nice one there- One of my favorites as well. I am going to go figure on Silver Dagger as it is my favorite, and that album needs to be covered in it's entirety. Great stuff here Skidoo

chindog
09-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Like it! That is a fantastic cover.

23skidoo
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks, guys, I'm really happy with this one - just a beautiful tune..... Dave, the idea had occurred to me...."The Harrow, The Harvest, & The 'Uke"..... I've already figured out a couple of the tunes.... of course there are a couple I wouldn't even be able to begin getting through, so it's sort of a non-starter.....

uke4ia
09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I like that a lot once the backup vocals come in.

hoosierhiver
09-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Great stuff!

23skidoo
09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
thanks, Mike.... had fun doing it......

I like that a lot once the backup vocals come in.

Yeah, the original is just Gillian with a banjo during that first verse and chorus....it's a tough one to sing, trying to do it the way they do - she sings like an angel....

Penguinofsorts
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Very nice! I've never tried a video cover of her, but I'm sure she's difficult to cover!!! Maybe I'll have to give one of these songs a try...

23skidoo
09-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks, penguin......you should try one - there's not a bad one in the batch, as far as I'm concerned. She has such a pretty voice and comes up with such lovely, inflected melodies.... they're hard for me to sing well - I feel like I butchered it pretty badly, to be honest. It's not so bad later in the video with more sound to hide behind, but that first 90 seconds where it's just me and the uke is pretty humbling.... but you don't get better if you don't try. You, on the other hand, have got the pipes to pull it off. I'd love to hear you give one a shot....

frankiej
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Great job man! I like that a lot. Really builds up nicely! What video software do you use to make that split screen deal? I think that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing my friend!

23skidoo
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Appreciate it, Frankie..... I use iMovie, came installed on my Mac. It doesn't do the split screen stuff very easily, but I think it turns out pretty well most of the time....

frankiej
09-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Appreciate it, Frankie..... I use iMovie, came installed on my Mac. It doesn't do the split screen stuff very easily, but I think it turns out pretty well most of the time.... Thank you sir! The video looks great. Keep 'em coming.

Hippie Dribble
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
hey thanks Bill. I don't have a computer with speakers or youtube link until I go home tomorrow but this'll be first on the list for me in the morning. This is so weird really, because the last three days I can't get the song out of my head and been playing it incessantly to the point of obsession. Not sure what chords you used cause I can't access the link, but I've been tuning the uke up to Db and playing it in C. Can't wait to watch this Bill. :)

And what an amazing record it is....sheez

23skidoo
09-16-2011, 01:38 AM
No problem, Jon - hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to hear it.....

Tried it a couple of different ways, but the harmony vocals worked best for me in D......

Hippie Dribble
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
thanks Bill. Made me cry brother. Beautiful performance. Means a lot mate. It's a refrain I'm desperately trying to hang onto at the moment.

23skidoo
09-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Jon - Glad you appreciated it..... and don't forget you've got friends here on the Underground.....

scthompson
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I think you sound great, and I love that song! No one sings like Gill (just watch Dave pick up uke next week and kill it on the next record, just for fun); I cover all their stuff but I can't imagine making a video!. I'd like to learn some finger-picking parts for their work.

scthompson
09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
What are you using for chords?

23skidoo
09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks very much - I try to play all of their songs, as well.... David Rawling's guitar playing continues to mystify me. And if only I could sing a fraction as well as she does...

I played this in D, so the main changes are Bm, A, G, D.

The intro is just a Dmaj, but the D on the C string moves down to C#, which I guess would make it F#m (2120), and then back to D.

The 'prechorus' (calling come on you sweet old girl...)I played D / Dsus4 (2230) / D / Gsus2 (0230) twice.
On 'we're gonna make it yet to the end of the row' - D / (2420) / D / A. The 2420 thing is sort of a walk up, but it walks up to D, the same chord. In the second uke part, I actually slide up after the walk up and play D (7765) to get more movement. On 'row' it goes to A and the chorus goes back to Bm, A, G, D.

I just reread that and it's really confusing. Maybe some of it will make sense. I'll try to tab out my arrangement and post it here in the next few days.

Thanks for the kind words....

nscafe
09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
That was great. I need to try my hand at some multi-track recording. You've inspired me.

I think I might need to buy some new video editing software. All I have right now is Windows Movie Maker... :\

23skidoo
09-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Nate. I've kind of gotten hooked on the multitrack recording.... it's really great practice, especially being able to play lead parts that aren't 'stand alone' bits - it's hard for me to get the hang of those out of context. I did a Coldplay cover last week and had a blast - 2 ukes, guitar, bass, even experimented with some of the idiot-proof drum loops in Garage Band. You should try it - look forward to you getting something recorded....