my musical epiphany at WCUF

Dougf

Reaction score
Perhaps epiphany is too strong a word, maybe "cool realization" would be better. Well, it was cool to me.

I enrolled in Aaron Keim's workshop at the recent WCUF, "Fiddle Tunes for Ukulele", at least partly because I had been working on an original tune that seemed to have an Appalachian feel to it. Toward the end of the class, Aaron introduced us to clawhammer style. He explained it very well, and I felt like I sort of got the hang of it, but it wasn't really flowing, nothing anywhere near what Aaron can do with it. I remember leaving the class thinking that I would probably never get the hang of it.

Later that evening as I told my wife about what I had learned that day, I tried to explain clawhammer, even though I felt like I really didn't "get" it. When I tried to give her a clawhammer demo, I started slow, and then I felt like the music was getting a momentum of its own. And then I had that by-george-I-think-I've-got-it feeling.

Then I remembered the song I'd been working on, with its Appalachian feel. I gave it a shot with my facsimile clawhammer. It really seemed to flow. I realized that this song I'd been working on was a clawhammer song, just waiting for the clawhammer to arrive.

I'm pretty sure now that I was mistaken about actually "getting" it, but it really felt that way. I know clawhammer is a daunting challenge, and I'm sure it will take a long time to really get inside it, but that's what I'm hoping to do. And knowing that the clawhammer style is such a good fit to my little tune, I've got extra motivation.

Hey Doug -great meeting you this weekend! I didn't take that fiddle tunes class from Aaron but Holly and I both loved the "Get out of the strumming rut" class he taught. I just wanted to make sure you know that Aaron has three clawhammer tutorials on his youtube channel, so if you need a refresher you can always watch those! Hope we get to hear your song once you've got it written - Mary

http://www.youtube.com/user/ackeim#p/u Look for Clawhammer Vol 1, 2 and 3

Hey Doug,

Great meeting you at WCUF! It sounds like the festival was a big success for you. I was in Aaron's "Strumming Rut" workshop and he's a great instructor. I've had the experience of working to get a strum right and then realizing the strum would be perfect for a song I'd been trying to learn with a more rudimentary strum, but your experience sounds wonderful, especially since it has motivated you to work on your original song. Congrats on the breakthrough!

Mark

It's awesome when things come together like that. I'm looking forward to Aaron's workshop in Tampa @ The ukulele getaway. Now to form the claw!

I highly recommend Aaron's workshop, he has such a wealth of knowledge. And it's probably worth the workshop price just to hear him play!

Hey Doug -great meeting you this weekend! I didn't take that fiddle tunes class from Aaron but Holly and I both loved the "Get out of the strumming rut" class he taught. I just wanted to make sure you know that Aaron has three clawhammer tutorials on his youtube channel, so if you need a refresher you can always watch those! Hope we get to hear your song once you've got it written - Mary

http://www.youtube.com/user/ackeim#p/u Look for Clawhammer Vol 1, 2 and 3

Thanks, Mary, great meeting you, too, hope the rest of the festival went well for you. Yes, I've definitely been to Aaron's youtube, and I'm trying to work through it slowly, trying not to get carried away. :)

Hey Doug,

Great meeting you at WCUF! It sounds like the festival was a big success for you. I was in Aaron's "Strumming Rut" workshop and he's a great instructor. I've had the experience of working to get a strum right and then realizing the strum would be perfect for a song I'd been trying to learn with a more rudimentary strum, but your experience sounds wonderful, especially since it has motivated you to work on your original song. Congrats on the breakthrough!

Mark

Thanks, Mark, great to meet you too, glad you could make it despite your injuries. And way to go springing for that Mya-Moe!

I think these little awakenings are the special moments in playing music.
Great meeting you at WCUF, hope to see you soon again on the festival circuit.

I've been working on the clawhammer version for a couple weeks now, still a bit rough around the edges, but this should give you an idea of how it's shaping up.

Great work Doug! So neat that you've been able to get a grip on the clawhammer technique. One of these days I'll get to working on that. Maybe by the time the next WCUF comes along! Keep it up!

Now with jug band!

Had some fun adding a little orchestration, same song, just a bit dressed up. :)

Great Vids! Congrats on getting the clawhammer down, I remember feeling the same way when I worked out the "chunk" :D

Hey Doug- Sounds great! You are right, it really suits that song well.

Mary, good to see you, too bad we didn't get to talk as much as we did in Reno last year.

Thanks Everybody!

Thank you, Aaron. Loved your workshop. It was transformational. :)

Top Bottom