Mailday!!!

ukestah

Da Ukestah!
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today was a very stressful day at work, even though I work from home. All the servers overseas that I use to work remotely went down and I had a tough time organizing for some of my co-workers to get to the home office and fix things. I babysit my beautiful 7 month old daughter as well, and that wasn't easy to do with all the problems occurring with work. I was expecting a box, and it came earlier than expected, just after lunch. Unfortunately I was too busy to really appreciate the beauty of the contents of the box, and it sat there... for hours. Finally, the servers got back on and the baby was fed, 5 year old son sleeping, and my wife watching something on the DVR, I was able to get some well deserved alone time to hang out with my new friend...

DSC_0014.jpgDSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0018.jpg

I haven't had the time to take pics of my own, so I am just using the ones Chuck sent me on Sunday. The wait was a killer, but so worth it! Here are the specs:

4 string Tenor
5A light curly koa
Side sound port
Ebony fret board, headstock, bridge
Bindings -- Curly Koa with B/W/B purfling
Bound fret board - Curly Koa
Rosette and fret markers (top & side) - Koa (side dots ebony)
Fender style headstock
Peghed tuners
"Hawaiian Island Chain" head stock inlay--Koa
"Shark" inlay on 12th fret -- Koa
MiSi pickup
Strings -- Worth Clear Hards

Extras -- Moore Bettah shirt size XL, Oahu tenor case, humidifier, 2 sets of extra strings (D'Addario T2s and Aquilas) plus a single wound string, Moore Bettah stickers and a Moore Bettah Ukulele instruction manual.

The pictures do NOT do this uke justice, it is such a visually stunning instrument. For the most part its an all wood ukulele, it was the first time Chuck has ever done a uke with koa fret markers as well. The koa he chose for the body... wow... its just killer. The color of the koa bindings matched perfect with the rest of the uke. I chose peghead tuners over the geared, and I am very happy with my choice as they definitely match the uke.

Sound is already sweet, nice volume for a uke that has yet to open up, very mellow and warm feel. I practice often since I work from home, so I think it will open up real quick with the amount of playing time it will get.

Playability and action are perfect. I told Chuck in an e-mail that it almost feels like cheating how easy it is to play. A friend of mine stopped over for a short while because he wanted to see my Moore Bettah, but I had to be selfish... he was not allowed to even tough the uke. LOL But even he said that my playing seemed a lot more effortless than normal, we have mini jam sessions quite often, so he knows how I play.

All in all, there is nothing more to say about Moore Bettah ukes, they are as good as advertised, likely better. There is a reason why you hardly ever see a used one come up for sale, and why you don't hear many complaints, if any. Chuck puts everything into his instruments, he's a true artist and I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to get on his build list and finally have a custom uke in my hands. Mahalo Chuck!

On another note, don't ask for a sound sample or video, I am unable to post one as the camera on my laptop sucks, so does the mic. I will be playing some songs at my friend's wedding in November and they will be filming, so maybe I can post that when the time comes... or if someone near Wahiawa wants to jam and has a video camera I'm down for a jam sesh.

EDIT: According to my wife this was my Father's Day, Birthday and Christmas present for the next two years... well worth it. :D

Last edited:
A couple pics of the headstock. The Hawaiian Island chain isn't correct, but it looks great... and as Chuck told me, it isn't for navigational purposes!

DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0021.jpg

Superb !!!!

and speechless . . .
Every single detail is a master piece of Art.

So envy you . . .

Congratulation for your new excellent uke(s).
Looking forward to see you play soon :)

Aloha,

Chuck isn't just a luthier . . . he is one of the best artist in this world.
Great great and great !!!!

Love all ukes that he built.

Happy strumming Dan :)

Awesome ukulele! As far as navigation goes, just keep it between the beacons!! You're a lucky man. Congratulations. Strum it once for me!

Scott

Truly beautiful. Undoubtedly sounds fantastic too! The use of Koa for all your inlays is a great idea and not one I have seen before .
Heartfelt congratulations :)

I told Chuck in an e-mail that it almost feels like cheating how easy it is to play.

Great description...feel the same way with mine. Welcome to the MB family! Absolutely stunning uke you got there!

Absolutely Beautiful

Congrats! The koa binding and ebony side markers are really cool.

How you managed to get any work done at all after that showed up is beyond me. You sir, have some incredible willpower.

It is redundant to say that it is magnificent, but it truly is. I'm not usually a fan of the fender style headstock, but it works well on your uke. The close ups of it show off its beauty. Congrats in a big way!

Vud: Thank you for the very kind words! Now if was only able to take pics as well as you! When I fly to Thailand next year, maybe a photoshoot? Chuck is most definitely an artist.

Scott: Lokahi isn't too shabby either! ;) I've been strumming it since 5AM, got a few in there for ya!

Trinimon: It really is a beauty, but the sound and playability equal that for sure.

Tack: The koa inlays do stand out a lot on the ebony. The shark looks so nice in person, unreal.

Chris: I think that the playability and set up on Moore Bettahs don't get enough respect. Such a wonderful uke. Glad to be a part of the MB fam. I hope to one day play as well as you do, sir.

Mascompro: Mahalo!

Mandarb: The curly koa bindings weren't cheap, but something I've wanted for a long time now.

Dkcrown: It wasn't easy waiting, but family first, especially the 7 month princess, and work paid for this uke. I did get up at 5AM to play in the garage lol, still playing two hours later! Mahalo for the kind words, it truly is a work of art!

So, as I've stated, I got up real early to get some uninterrupted playing time with my unnamed uke and it was well worth it! I need to buy a new video camera to put some clips up, this uke deserves it!

What a beauty!

Have fun with your new uke!

Wow, that is really beautiful. I think that is my favorite Moore Bettah that I have ever seen, in large part due to the koa accents. Congratulations on a stunning ukulele. Enjoy it!

Fabio: Mahalo! When are you coming to visit?

WW: Mahalo as well! I love the koa inlays and accents. The Hawaiian Island Chain looks great and the detail on the shark is awesome!

dan3.jpg

Last edited:
Lokahi came via UPS on July 15th. With the exception of one day that I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed, I've played her at least an hour and a half a day. My fingers have calloused, peeled, and calloused again. I played for 6 years before this, but it was as much off as it was on. I don't believe there's gonna be any more off time. If you enjoy your new uke half as much as I enjoy mine, then your happiness will be unbounded! Mr. Moore makes some of the most beautiful ukes I've ever seen. I haven't heard any yet, so I'm gonna have to search YouTube.

That actually.is the most beautiful uke I have ever seen congratulations

Said before, but it's a very pretty uke and you don't see that headstock layout everyday.

At least Chuck made real easy to get to Waikiki... just take the C to Kailua-Kona, short hop on the E to Kohalo Coast then straight shot on the A to Honolulu!

Lokahi came via UPS on July 15th. With the exception of one day that I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed, I've played her at least an hour and a half a day. My fingers have calloused, peeled, and calloused again. I played for 6 years before this, but it was as much off as it was on. I don't believe there's gonna be any more off time. If you enjoy your new uke half as much as I enjoy mine, then your happiness will be unbounded! Mr. Moore makes some of the most beautiful ukes I've ever seen. I haven't heard any yet, so I'm gonna have to search YouTube.

I'm sure my uke will get plenty of playing time with me working from home. I can jam as loud as I want, as long as I don't have a conference call or any type of technical problems at work. Lokahi is a beautiful uke man, and the backstory makes it all the better. Paul makes some beautiful work as well! Moore Bettah ukes sound as good or better than they look in my opinion, that says a lot!

That actually.is the most beautiful uke I have ever seen congratulations

Mahalo, Rae! I am biased... but I have to agree. ;) BTW, loved your Eye of the Tiger cover, you did it well man!

Said before, but it's a very pretty uke and you don't see that headstock layout everyday.

At least Chuck made real easy to get to Waikiki... just take the C to Kailua-Kona, short hop on the E to Kohalo Coast then straight shot on the A to Honolulu!

LOL, he asked if he should put a disclaimer on my uke, "Not for navigational purposes" below the chain. I debated it... and thought better of it and decided not to do it haha. The one problem with that fender style headstock... it makes the uke longer and it doesn't fit in my Reunion Blues gig bag. So... I have it in an Oahu case right now, but thinking about ordering a custom Ameritage soon.

Top Bottom