PDA

View Full Version : Buying My First Uke Question

johninmass
09-14-2011, 04:59 AM
During my research, I found that I like the sound of some ukes strung with low G (all my research is by reviewing videos on-line). However, most stores do not string their ukes this way. If I pick a uke because I like the sound with the high G, will it give the sound I'm looking when strung with low G? Can I ask a local store to string it with low G so I can get an idea what it will sound like (I woud be willing to pay for the strings), or this be an unrealistic request to ask them?

johninmass
09-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Are there some wood combinations that sound better strung with low G?

Ken Middleton
09-14-2011, 05:24 AM
During my research, I found that I like the sound of some ukes strung with low G (all my research is by reviewing videos on-line). However, most stores do not string their ukes this way. If I pick a uke because I like the sound with the high G, will it give the sound I'm looking when strung with low G? Can I ask a local store to string it with low G so I can get an idea what it will sound like (I woud be willing to pay for the strings), or this be an unrealistic request to ask them?

It is not the stores that string them with re-entrant (high G) tuning, it is the manufacturers. Nearly all of them. There are a couple of good reasons.

1. The majority of people play using high G, rather than low G.
2. Most people would agree that high G gives a more traditional uke sound.
3. It is easier to convert a uke to low G than the other way round.

Because of this last reason, no sensible store owner is going to fit a low G for you unless you are buying the uke. He would have to cut the nut to fit the thicker string.

johninmass
09-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Thank you Ken, I was not aware that the strings were not going to be interchangable.

Ken Middleton
09-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Thank you Ken, I was not aware that the strings were not going to be interchangable.

It is not a hard job cutting the nut. Putting it back the way it was is like getting toothpaste back into the tube. You have to get a new nut or repair the one you have cut.

PhilUSAFRet
09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Depends on uke. I switched my Cordoba to low g recetly and didn't have to do any nut work at all. Love it on the solid mahogany top. There is a sound clip from Hawaiianmusicsupply now on youtube of a Lanikai solid monkeypod uke where they switched to Ko'olau alohi low g's halfway through the demo and it sounded twice as good as it did with the factory strings. I think it was in a review of Aquila vs Ko'olau Alohi strings.

Nickie
09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
This is good info. It never occurred to me that I would have to file the nut to change tuning. I have been considering this on my Cordoba, when I can afford a second uke. (I gave my baritone to a very deserving starving artist, and a dear friend borrowed my soprano).
Phil, which Cordoba do you have?

gtrk
09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
My solution is to get another tenor uke. One tuned with a high G, the other with a low G. Makes for a good reason to buy another uke.

RawrGazzawrs
09-18-2011, 08:29 PM
you have to file the nut for some ukuleles for a low G?? lol i never knew that... my aquila wound low g worked fine on my ukes :P

Jon Moody
09-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Technically you should file the nut for the bigger string to seat properly. That said, I strung up my Resonator uke with Kala Reds with a Low G and had more of an issue with their C string than the low G; the G just fit on easily.