flukes with plastic fretboards

jhob

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a tenor fluke later this year and can't decide between the rosewood fretboard and the plastic fretboard. I would normally always go with the wood but I have heard good things about the plastic and I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on the differences between the two in sound, playability etc. So what do you reckon?

i own a fluke with the plastic fretboard. it's a fun little thing and durable too. still sounds as good as the day i got it about 6 years ago. my only vice is that the dots on the fretboard are slightly raised, and that can either help you, or a be a nuisance. since i've had the fluke, the paint on the dots has worn off. i don't have any experience with the one with the rosewood fretboard, come to think of it, i didn't even know they had one like that.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has the rosewood fretboard fluke. I've tried it and it feels pretty good. Easy to play, fingers feel comfortable on the fretboard...the thing is I haven't tried the plastic one so I have nothing to compare it to.

What good things exactly have you heard about the plastic fretboard?

I took a quick look around on the internet, most people recommend getting the rosewood fretboard over the plastic.. :eek:

nevermind.

Last edited:
Mine is 7 years old now.
The dots are gone and some frets are damage.
But it still sounds good and loud.

i would go with the rosewood because of how much nicer it looks, you dont have to worry about the dots wearing off, however if you didt want to spend the extra $ it wouldt be much of a diffrence

My 1st uke was a Fluke with a plastic fretboard. If you plan to use any wound strings the rosewood with metal frets would be a better choice. Future redressing of a plastic fret would probably be not possible. Wound strings will probably eventually dent the plastic frets.

One night while "playing" the Fluke a guitar playing friend thought I was strummin a fretless "something". The frets in the flat soft light sort of disapeared. He hears a uke, but the sight of the Fluke had him wondering what the heck it was.

Top Bottom