Want to Come and Build Your Own Uke in October?

Rick Turner

Reaction score
I'm teaching my course, "Build a Uke or Mandolin in Four Days" in Oakland at the Crucible www.thecrucible.org in October. The class runs on two consecutive weekends, October 22 & 23, and 29 & 30. You get to build a pineapple soprano or tenor, and it will be strung up and playing "in the white" on the last day.

This course is for anybody with reasonable hand-eye coordination and a willingness to follow instructions. No woodworking or lutherie experience is needed.

If you want to sign up, contact Rob Nehring at the Crucible; he handles all the details. I just show up with a pile of parts and teach and have a ball. You will, too, and you'll wind up with your next good uke.

Rick Turner

. You get to build a pineapple soprano or tenor, and it will be strung up and playing "in the white" on the last day.

Hey Rick,

Out of curiosity, how do we let you know if we want to build a soprano or pineapple? I'm really looking forward to the learning opportunity.

Thank you,

-Gary

Let the folks at the Crucible know your preference, and they'll give me a list in time for me to get the kits together.

No, these do not sound like Compass Rose ukes; they're a very different design being pineapples. The sopranos sound more traditional, though they do sound very full because of the shape and the cedar tops. The tenors are just...well...different, and I'd say a bit more Hawaiian sounding.

I need to put a soprano and tenor pineapple together for myself soon and keep them. I gave the last soprano to my youngest kid as his kick around with uke.

Couple of questions Rick,
Can I build an Army Mando instead? I really want one of those and I figure this might be an easy way to get it?
And I cannot find links to the course anywhere on the page, is there a direct link? I think I need to do this.
Last bit- cost?

Last edited:
Wow! I'm just across the Bay Bridge from where the course is being taught!

Rick, I was wondering if you had photos and/or sound samples of the finished ukes. I didn't see any on your website. I'm interested in taking the course but I'm having some trouble deciding which of the two ukuleles I would want to build. Thanks!

And I cannot find links to the course anywhere on the page, is there a direct link? I think I need to do this. Last bit- cost?

I think this is the link.
https://store.thecrucible.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=415_445_619
It lists the course (including materials) at $442 for Crucible members, $475 for nonmembers.

Thanks MDS- now, do I jump on my Mya Down payment, or do I build one....
Conundrum.

I would build my own as I assume there is no better satisfaction playing an instrument built w/ your own two hands

Rick, I'm signed up and looking forward to it, but I'm really having a hard time deciding between the soprano and the tenor. Is there anything else you can say that might help nudge me in one direction or the other, like maybe is one easier, or maybe gives a better foundation for future builds? I'm thinking of building another after the class with what I've learned, maybe with some unusual woods.

Would love to have such an opportunity here on the east coast.

what a great idea! anyone want to teach something like this in the charlotte, nc area?

anyone? please?!?

Well, I have taken the course on the road...three times to Tasmania, and once to Cairns...both being in Australia, and I started it with teaching mandolin building at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, so traveling with this whole show is possible. I got all the materials to build 15 ukes into a checkable suitcase for the Aussie stints. I would need a day ahead in a decent woodworking shop in order to build workboards, and we'd need that shop for the course along with a pile of clamps, a band saw, a drill press, a router table, and preferably a stationary belt sander or large disc sander. Your basic high school shop works fine. With ukes, I could handle up to nine students at a time; it's a bit tougher doing the mandos because of final setup being more difficult. Costs per student are in the $425.00 range. I'd also need a couch to crash on or guest room so I don't blow anything on a hotel. The only way this works is if I can keep my expenses low, low, low.

Of the costs, the kits of parts are $115.00, and the rest is for teaching. When I teach at the Crucible, they get a cut for the use of the shop and for their whole existence. When I taught in Australia, the facilities were donated by the government (Tasmania) or were paid a nominal amount (Cairns). I was able to handle 14 students in Cairns because of the incredible help I got from Allen McFarlen, a fine Aussie uke builder, and the Woodworkers' Guild of Cairns.

So...it's doable if someone wants to help organize it in their location.

Wow, exciting idea! I'll ask around a bit and see if any of the local schools or colleges are prepared to allow use of their facilities. Accomodation wouldn't be a problem.

Although I'm now wondering about a trip to the US - good mountain biking in CA!

Rick, do you have a sound sample anywhere of the two types of ukuleles that can be built? I'd like to take the class but I'm reluctant to choose between the two available kits without first getting a sense of what they sound like. Thanks!

Rick, do you have a sound sample anywhere of the two types of ukuleles that can be built? I'd like to take the class but I'm reluctant to choose between the two available kits without first getting a sense of what they sound like. Thanks!

Hey Mark,

I'm pretty sure the tenor option is new for this course. All the ukes I saw in the last build were sopranos so I'm not sure if there would be a sound sample.

-Gary

I've not slowed down enough to keep samples and record them. I can tell you that the kit ukes sound quite wonderful. They're lightly built and the tops are cedar which responds wonderfully. I'd put them up against anything in the price range of taking the course.

Top Bottom