Soprano Strings?

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Just got my first soprano, a cedar top Makai from Mike at UR... Mike rules. It has aquilas but they feel really slack compared to my tenor. Would tenor strings stiffen them up or is there another route for better tension?

Thanks for any advice.

I tried Martin M600 on my laminated soprano, it turned out a great sound. Old strings were Aquila too. The string pack you buy will note about the tension and length, usually you choose soprano(sometimes note as "standard") set but not tenor.

Before discovering Martin M600s (now my strings of choice), I used Aquila concert strings on my sopranos, because I didn't like the slack feel of the soprano strings. I like the Fremont Blackline hards also. Both Martin and Fremont strings are sold as soprano/concert strings, meaning they are meant for use on either.

Before discovering Martin M600s (now my strings of choice), I used Aquila concert strings on my sopranos, because I didn't like the slack feel of the soprano strings. I like the Fremont Blackline hards also. Both Martin and Fremont strings are sold as soprano/concert strings, meaning they are meant for use on either.
Same as Worth, the 46" inch pack is for soprano/concert and the length is enough to put on 2 instruments.

I put some Martins on my Mele solid mahogany soprano......waste of money. This uke set up for Hilo's. No telling which strings will sound best....experiment.

South Coast's Medium set has strong, even tension on all four strings of a soprano. Sonically, the strings are bright and loud.

If you don't feel like going shopping, tune the Aquilas up to ADF#B for more tension. Oh, and avoid tenor strings, they may put too much tension on your soprano's neck and top. Concert strings should be fine, though.

Have fun!

Top Bottom