Binding Choices for Stew Mac Tenor

UkePA

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to start my second StewMac tenor kit and want to bind the body and headstock. I'm planning on using wood binding.

What is your favorite binding on a mahogany bodied instrument? I'm leaning towards bloodwood with a b/w/b prufling. Maybe simple rosewood.

Thanks,
Erik

I like either rosewood, or bloodwood. But bloodwood may give you a little more contrast if thats what you like. I like the bloodwood with the white trim in it.

Last edited:
I've heard bloodwood can be tricky to bend (no experience with it here). Otherwise, its all up to your preference. I kinda like maple bindings on mahogany

Maple bindings can look great on a dark body but your joinery work better be impeccable as it will show any gaps or misalignment as a dark line. Just take you time around the butt/end graft area and don't count on fillers to hide any mistakes.
On the other hand I have found bloodwood to be wonderful to bend and I like the way it makes my shop smell like I'm burning incense.
Good luck.

I like bloodwood and Ive had no trouble bending it. I just uned maple on my last Tenor and had a bit of trouble bending it......it was very curly maple

Maple usually bends like a dream. What you experienced may have more to do with the fact that it was extremely curly. Typical with any very curly binding.

Next question, do I need to use a bender or will it bend into place with just water?

Top Bottom