PDA

View Full Version : Kamaka inventory

guitharsis
09-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Brought my tenor HF-3 to the music room to meet its siblings, an HF-1 and and HF-2.:) Took an inventory of dates of manufacture and also noticed differences in grain patterns etc. While checking closely also noticed two had quite a bit of curl. one not so much. Interesting!
When there is quite a bit of contrast in grain pattern, curl is not as noticeable. Well, at least not to me:) Also noticed that the new to me tenor had the least amount of curl but the best looking headstock. They're all nice but that one stands out. Guess most important is that they all sound great!

mds725
09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
If you can, post a "family" portrait.

janeray1940
09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Now you need a HP-1 pineapple. Hey kids, collect 'em all!

Coconut Willie
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Looks like you have a nice Kamaka inventory....and I agree with janeray1940, you need a pineapple!!!

guitharsis
09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
If you can, post a "family" portrait.

I'll take a couple of pics later but can't guarantee I can post them.

guitharsis
09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Janeray and Coconut Willie
A Pineapple would definitely be nice to have. :)

Last time I was in NC played an awesome 8 string Kamaka at NC Ukulele Academy. Then Kent played if for me (how it should be played). Wow!
Incredible.

guitharsis
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
The thought that occurred to me during my inventory is what is the difference between curly kos and straight in sound? I love the look of curly koa and it's very noticeable on some ukuleles. Just wondering how much difference it makes in the sound.

janeray1940
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
The thought occurred to me during my inventory is what is the difference between curly kos and straight in sound? I love the look of curly koa and it's very noticeable on some ukuleles. Just wondering how much difference it makes in the sound.

My ukes are all pretty straight-grained and all have clear, bright tones. I've played a couple of fancy-grade curly koa ukes and each time have been underwhelmed - the sound seemed more muted, and my preference is for clear and bright. Not sure if this is always the case, but based on the few that I've played, I wouldn't likely pay the extra cash that curly koa commands.

mds725
09-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Last time I was in NC played an awesome 8 string Kamaka at NC Ukulele Academy. Then Kent played if for me (how it should be played). Wow!
Incredible.

Mmmmmm.... Kamaka 8-string tenor.

Ronnie Aloha
09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
When I toured the factory they said generally if the body is straight grained they give the headstock veneer curl and vice versa.

mds725
09-15-2011, 12:31 PM
When I toured the factory they said generally if the body is straight grained they give the headstock veneer curl and vice versa.

That seems to be true for my Kamakas, but it's a very small sample.

blab
09-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Did they say why?

Ronnie Aloha
09-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Did they say why?

Just to give every instrument a little bling.

wickedwahine11
09-15-2011, 02:02 PM
My ukes are all pretty straight-grained and all have clear, bright tones. I've played a couple of fancy-grade curly koa ukes and each time have been underwhelmed - the sound seemed more muted, and my preference is for clear and bright. Not sure if this is always the case, but based on the few that I've played, I wouldn't likely pay the extra cash that curly koa commands.

Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. Aldrine and Jake both have very curly koa and their ukes sound great -- though a lot of that is up to the player ability, they could probably make anything sound good. But they both have customs made to their specifications and chose curly koa. I also have quite liked the Moore Bettahs I have heard, and those all had very curly koa. I guess it just depends on the ukulele itself.

foxfair
09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
curly or not... Kamaka ukes sound great anyway!
Oh, I think it depends on the ukulele itself and who plays it.

guitharsis
09-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Kamakas definitely do sound great.

Trying to adjust to playing tenor. Today I'm feeling more comfortable with it. In time may even prefer it to my concert and soprano. If not,it won't be difficult to find a new home for!

foxfair
09-18-2011, 05:41 AM
I prefer my HF-3 more than my concert and soprano, not just the fretboard size but also the feeling when you play it in overall. To note that my conclusion is biased because those 3 are not even in the same brand and quality level, etc...

mds725
09-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Here are some photos of guithatsis's Kamaka family.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28301&d=1316803682

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28300&d=1316803682

marymac
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
*sniff* Isn't it great when the whole family is together like this?

Now you just need a bari Guitharsis! A nice HF-4 to take care of the little ones when you're gone :)

Coconut Willie
09-23-2011, 09:37 AM
*sniff* Isn't it great when the whole family is together like this?

Now you just need a bari Guitharsis! A nice HF-4 to take care of the little ones when you're gone :)

What...no Pineapple??????

marymac
09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
What...no Pineapple??????

Oh yeah, and a pineapple!

guitharsis
09-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks for posting pics mds725!

A baritone would be too large but a pineapple might be nice.:) The ukulele that I fell in love with was the HF38 Kamaka 8 string tenor at NC Ukulele Academy www.alohau.com. Unlike a mandolin where each string of a pair is exactly the same note, 2 of the 4 pairs of the Kamaka 8 string are tuned in different octaves giving it a full rich tone. Loved it!

dkcrown
09-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Great looking family, guitharsis. Don't for get about the Liliu six string!

mds725
09-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for posting pics mds725!

A baritone would be too large but a pineapple might be nice.:) The ukulele that I fell in love with was the HF38 Kamaka 8 string tenor at NC Ukulele Academy www.alohau.com. Unlike a mandolin where each string of a pair is exactly the same note, 2 of the 4 pairs of the Kamaka 8 string are tuned in different octaves giving it a full rich tone. Loved it!

You're welcome.

I fell in love today with a Kamaka HF38 I played today at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, and now I have to take photos of it so I can post a new "new ukulele" thread.

foxfair
09-24-2011, 11:03 PM
You're welcome.

I fell in love today with a Kamaka HF38 I played today at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, and now I have to take photos of it so I can post a new "new ukulele" thread.

you meant you bought it? woot, congrats and definitely need a new thread for this!
Also need some video pieces to demo the sweet sound, please....

joeybug
09-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Love the family photo!

And congrats mds on a new member of the family :D

guitharsis
09-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks dkcrown and joeybug.

mds725 Congrats! The HF38 is an incredible ukulele. Can't wait to see pics and hear some sound samples of yours!