Kamaka inventory

guitharsis

Reaction score
Brought my tenor HF-3 to the music room to meet its siblings, an HF-1 and and HF-2.:) Took an inventory of dates of manufacture and also noticed differences in grain patterns etc. While checking closely also noticed two had quite a bit of curl. one not so much. Interesting!
When there is quite a bit of contrast in grain pattern, curl is not as noticeable. Well, at least not to me:) Also noticed that the new to me tenor had the least amount of curl but the best looking headstock. They're all nice but that one stands out. Guess most important is that they all sound great!

Janeray and Coconut Willie
A Pineapple would definitely be nice to have. :)

Last time I was in NC played an awesome 8 string Kamaka at NC Ukulele Academy. Then Kent played if for me (how it should be played). Wow!
Incredible.

Last edited:
The thought that occurred to me during my inventory is what is the difference between curly kos and straight in sound? I love the look of curly koa and it's very noticeable on some ukuleles. Just wondering how much difference it makes in the sound.

Last edited:
The thought occurred to me during my inventory is what is the difference between curly kos and straight in sound? I love the look of curly koa and it's very noticeable on some ukuleles. Just wondering how much difference it makes in the sound.

My ukes are all pretty straight-grained and all have clear, bright tones. I've played a couple of fancy-grade curly koa ukes and each time have been underwhelmed - the sound seemed more muted, and my preference is for clear and bright. Not sure if this is always the case, but based on the few that I've played, I wouldn't likely pay the extra cash that curly koa commands.

When I toured the factory they said generally if the body is straight grained they give the headstock veneer curl and vice versa.

My ukes are all pretty straight-grained and all have clear, bright tones. I've played a couple of fancy-grade curly koa ukes and each time have been underwhelmed - the sound seemed more muted, and my preference is for clear and bright. Not sure if this is always the case, but based on the few that I've played, I wouldn't likely pay the extra cash that curly koa commands.

Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. Aldrine and Jake both have very curly koa and their ukes sound great -- though a lot of that is up to the player ability, they could probably make anything sound good. But they both have customs made to their specifications and chose curly koa. I also have quite liked the Moore Bettahs I have heard, and those all had very curly koa. I guess it just depends on the ukulele itself.

curly or not... Kamaka ukes sound great anyway!
Oh, I think it depends on the ukulele itself and who plays it.

Kamakas definitely do sound great.

Trying to adjust to playing tenor. Today I'm feeling more comfortable with it. In time may even prefer it to my concert and soprano. If not,it won't be difficult to find a new home for!

I prefer my HF-3 more than my concert and soprano, not just the fretboard size but also the feeling when you play it in overall. To note that my conclusion is biased because those 3 are not even in the same brand and quality level, etc...

Here are some photos of guithatsis's Kamaka family.

attachment.php

attachment.php

*sniff* Isn't it great when the whole family is together like this?

Now you just need a bari Guitharsis! A nice HF-4 to take care of the little ones when you're gone :)

Top Bottom